Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

60" RPTV flickering at the top of screen / warranty woes

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-04, 07:32 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll try to keep this as simple as possible. The TV is a 60" rear projection 4:3 almost five years old with a line doubler, it's HD capable. It's still been under an extended warranty from Sears.

A couple months ago, convergence started going to hell and I had the guy come out. He ordered a circuit board and when he came back to install it he killed the TV - and it took him four weeks and four or five more trips out to even get it working again. I hate this guy, he's either overworked or does not know enough of what he should. He's impatient, does things rashly and wants to gloss over problems. He finally brought another guy with him and they found one simple wire not plugged in, I was without a TV for a month because of that. He had replaced circuit boards and several other things before finding that one simple connection. I had someone standing in for me that day and he also left it shifted severely to the green so it was unwatchable for another week until he could make it back out. The convergence was also still not corrected entirely although he came one more time and did fix that. Right there we're already up to about six or seven trips out, I've lost count.

However, after fixing the green shift, I noticed when I put a DVD in that the top of the screen flickers occasionally and there is general distortion and waviness at the top of the screen in some scenes. He immediately shrugged it off to my DVD player needing a cleaning (yeah, right). Anyway I did clean it but no difference. I also have an Xbox on the same inputs and same thing with it, flickering at times. This tells me it's not the DVD player. I have them both run in through a Pelican System Selector because there is only one component input set. But I've tried the player directly hooked into the TV, and same thing. Bottom line, the TV was worked on (by a not-so-expert), the other stuff wasn't, problem appeared after the TV was worked on and appears to be the TV.

I am mainly looking for any thoughts as to what this waviness and flickering could be for when he comes again. It does appear to appear again during playback of the same scenes which is good for demonstrating the problem. He will try to say that since the satellite and cable, both on S-video, do not have that flickering, it must be my other equipment. Which is stupid because obviously the component inputs are a separate and different kind of input.

This post became a little longer than I had wanted - if I need to clarify anything please let me know. I'm at my wit's end with this guy but I can't really afford to get it worked on anywhere else and he should rightfully be taking care of it.
Old 11-05-04, 11:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

If he is a authorized technician for Toshiba you need to get a hold of Toshiba and tell them your story. They may send out someone else for you and will at least go after this yahoo you have now because he will give them a bad name if he is screwing up relations with their customers because of his incompotence.
Old 11-06-04, 05:53 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Guess I didn't mention that - it's a Hitachi.