Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Toshiba DVD Player Class Action Settlement info

DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Old 11-04-04, 02:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just received a mailing about a settlement to a class action lawsuit against Toshiba. Depending on how old your unit is and whether you purchased a firmware upgrade, you might be entitled to a free firmware upgrade, a replacement DVD player, or reimbursement for your firmware upgrade. If you bought another DVD player to replace your Toshiba, you might be entitled to receive a credit from Toshiba. More details here:

www.dvdnotice.com
Old 11-05-04, 08:16 PM

Just got one of these myself in the mail.
Old 02-07-05, 04:20 PM

Has anyone sent in and gotten a response yet?

The form says they will either send you either a firmware upgrade, or a replacement recent model player. How do they determine this? Mine is an SD1200. Maybe it's old enough that they'll send a player.
Old 02-08-05, 01:29 AM

What was wrong with the DVD players??
Old 02-08-05, 10:39 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

In order to qualify for the settlement you need either a store receipt, a store invoice, a credit card receipt, or a cancelled check. If you can still find them and they are legible, the first will two should have the DVD player specified. The last two will probably not explicitly list the DVD player. For an older player, it may be difficult coming up with the required proof of purchase.
Old 02-08-05, 10:49 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

From the Claim Form:
For The Purposes Of This Settlement, “playback Incompatibilities” Is Defined As Playback Abnormalities With The Audio Or Video Playback Of Undamaged, Region 1 Dvd Video Discs That Were Released For Sale In The United States That Were Specifically Caused By An Error In Toshiba’s Dvd Player Firmware Or Decoder Chips. Such Playback Incompatibilities May Include, But Are Not Limited To “skipping,” “pixelating,” Failing To Properly Display Or Process Menu Functions, Failure To Play A Disc At All, Or Any Other Abnormality Related To The Toshiba Dvd Players’ Incompatibility With Undamaged, Region 1 Dvd Discs That Were Released For Sale In The United States Market. “Playback Incompatibilities” Does Not Include Any Playback Abnormalities With Toshiba Dvd Players That Are Caused By (1) Misuse Of The Toshiba Dvd Player Or A Dvd Disc; (2) Contamination Of The Toshiba Dvd Player Or A Dvd Disc (including, But Not Limited To, Fingerprints, Exposure To Water, Or Exposure To Excess Levels Of Dust); (3) Physical Damage To The Toshiba Dvd Player Or A Dvd Disc (including, But Not Limited To, Scratches On The Playback Surface Of A Dvd Disc); Or, (4) Any Other Defects Or Malfunctions Unrelated To The Firmware And Decoder Chip.
The dates of the lawsuit are suspiciously correlated to the release of Star War Ep. 1-3.

Last edited by Pistol Pete; 02-08-05 at 10:51 AM.
Old 02-08-05, 05:34 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 289 Likes on 214 Posts
Well, we all know Toshiba is anti-George Lucas.
Old 02-09-05, 04:04 PM

Again, the form says they will either send you either a firmware upgrade, or a replacement recent model player. How do they determine this?
Old 02-09-05, 04:12 PM

I had two Toshiba players 3107 and 3109 that I replaced with better players. I sent in all the information and I haven't heard anything yet, but I don't think they would decide until Feb or March.

Last edited by ScottsDvds; 02-12-05 at 11:53 PM.
Old 02-11-05, 12:17 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Slickone
Again, the form says they will either send you either a firmware upgrade, or a replacement recent model player. How do they determine this?
i'd like to know as well. a toshiba dvd player (SD 1600) was my first (2000.)
it broke and it'd be great to get a free upgraded replacement. i assume they would prefer to offer the free upgrade on everything, but i would guess certain models are too old to support the new specs? or something like that.

i just hope i qualify for a replacement.
Old 05-10-05, 01:55 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I just received a firmware upgrade disc from Toshiba as part of this settlement. I have a 2200. My original firmware was 2.0. After the upgrade, it shows 2.7 (even though the instructions indicate it would be 2.3). However, I didn't notice much difference on discs that I had had problems with before (slow menu transitions with "The Emperor's New Groove"). I also had several problems (stalling when first loading, locking up at a Scene Selection) when trying to play "National Treasure". Has anyone else received their firmware upgrade and have any good/bad things to report?
Old 05-10-05, 12:59 PM

I forgot to send mine in. It said send by May 1st. What do you think the chances are of them accepting it if sent today?
Old 05-11-05, 09:10 PM

I've tried calling these people but no human answers and they don't seem to return voice mail messages.
Old 05-17-05, 04:16 PM

Missed deadline

I am in the very same boat. I've got a Toshiba DVD SD-2800 and checked the status of the lawsuit last year when I got the notice at home, then early this year but was confused somehow by the wording and thought that claims should be mailed after the settlement on May 1. Now it seems too late and there is noone there to talk to.

Any ideas how to proceed? Can anyone share on the web the firmware upgrades for SD-2800? The whole story is absolutely stupid.
Old 05-18-05, 02:17 AM

Missed deadline here too. I had a SD2200 and purchased a Panny XP50 to replace it. I originally purchased the SD2200 over the internet and have since only retained an email invoice, so I wasn't sure how to claim proof of purchase for my claim. For some reason, I also thought that the deadline was mid-May, so it completely escaped my mind while I was away on a trip to take my chances with the claim regardless.
Old 05-18-05, 06:38 PM

Toshiba

I totally don't understand if their DVD players are screwed up (I know mine is), why do we have to sue them in order to get a firmware upgrade?! The most normal first thing to do for a company like Toshiba should be to at least set up a web site to download the damn CD image!

And now that we have missed the deadline, so what? We are stuck with half-functioning DVD players for good?! Ridiculous...

I sent an e-mail yesterday to Toshiba customer support, but the response I got today is
"In order to participate in the settlement, you must submit a claim. For further assistance, please call the settlement claims administrator at 1-800-210-5874.
Scott, Toshiba Customer Service"

A funny viscious circle...
Old 05-26-05, 12:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I got the paperwork. They're replacing my beloved SD-3108 with another player.
Old 05-26-05, 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by Mark Holtz
But you sent yours in before the deadline, right?

Pretty crappy that they don't have a way to contact someone about the settlement.
Old 05-26-05, 04:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well whoever gets a copy of the SD 3109 firmware, send it my way
Old 05-26-05, 04:17 PM
X
Administrator

Received 149 Likes on 120 Posts
Originally Posted by Mark Holtz
Did they say what player? Do you have to return your old one?
Old 05-26-05, 04:19 PM
X
Administrator

Received 149 Likes on 120 Posts
Pretty crappy that they don't have a way to contact someone about the settlement.
Maybe this is a lead on someone you can call...

If your Toshiba SD-3108 is experiencing problems and you are confronted with possible repair costs, we would like to hear from you at the Law Offices of Goren, Goren & Harris. Please ask for Brett.

[email protected]
(888) 554-6736
Old 05-27-05, 12:35 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

i got a firmware disc in the mail. a pity, since my player died, i was hoping for a new one. well no such luck. but, since i don't need the firmware anyways, i can mail to someone.

whoever i send it to, i'd like for them to use it and then send it on to the next person, unless one kind soul wouldn't mind burning them and sending out the burns to whoever, providing a burn copy would work?

i don't know, don't email at this point, discuss..
Old 05-27-05, 01:47 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

But you sent yours in before the deadline, right?

Yes, send the forms in last November. There is a website up. I even posted it at www.dbstalk.com .
Old 05-27-05, 01:48 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by X
Did they say what player? Do you have to return your old one?
No, they didn't say which player. It'll probably be a older refurbished player. When I checked last November, I couldn't really see the equivelent of my SD-3108 in their current product offerrings.
Old 05-30-05, 01:15 PM

Toshiba customer service

After I missed the deadline, I called Toshiba customer service at a phone number provided at the Toshiba USA web site. I explained the situation and withing 5 minutes the guy said he has no problem to mail me a firmware DVD. Haven't run it through the player yet...

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.