Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nintendo DS Presales Halted

Sources:
http://gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=5304
http://www.gamespot.com/news/2004/11...s_6112233.html

Major US retailer halts DS preorders as launch stock sells out
Rob Fahey 10:11 04/11/2004

GameStop puts the brakes on preorders, EBGames warns that it will do likewise

One of the largest videogame retail chains in the USA, GameStop, has halted its preorder campaign for the forthcoming Nintendo DS handheld, indicating that the chain has already sold out the launch allocation of the eagerly awaited console.

The DS arrives in North America on November 21st, and Nintendo is expected to ship a large number of units - around 300,000 - for day one, with the firm planning to ship four million units in total worldwide by the end of March 2005.

One of GameStop's biggest rival chains, EBGames, continues to take preorders for the console, but according to US website GameSpot, has also cautioned that it will halt its campaign when the day one limit is reached.

With a clearer picture now emerging of which titles will actually be on the shelves in North America when the console arrives, it appears that six games will be available on day one - Nintendo's Super Mario 64 DS, Sega's Feel The Magic XY/XX, Activision's Spider-Man 2, Ubisoft's Asphalt Urban GT and two from EA - Madden NFL 2005 and The Urbz: Sims in the City.

A number of additional games will arrive throughout December, although one of the most eagerly awaited titles on the system, Mario Kart DS, won't launch in the USA until January 10th, despite being part of the line-up for the Japanese launch of the system on December 2nd.
So, if you want to get yours withing the first few weeks, you best get in and preorder at EB before they shut it down. I can't wait to try out the "Game sharing" I really think that will be huge for the DS success. The fact that only one person needs the game for multiplaying is in a word "awesome". No more worrying about other gamers having the same games as you.
Old 11-04-04, 02:35 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
I thought Mr Driller was a launch title? Oh well. Mario and XY/XX for me on day one.
Old 11-04-04, 02:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It's madDnesS!
Old 11-04-04, 02:46 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Game Rush was only allowing 5 pre-orders per store and you can imagine how fast those went.
Old 11-04-04, 02:47 PM
Suspended

Joe, my store hasn't gotten 1 yet... I'll be the first tomorrow.
Old 11-04-04, 03:31 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Good thing I got my pre-orders in last month.
Old 11-04-04, 03:34 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Proof positive that Nintendo is going the way of Sega.
Old 11-04-04, 04:49 PM

A friend of mine manages an EB and he's saying they might receive their DS's either the 18th or 19th-the sooner the better. They've got 29 pre-orders and counting. Mario Kart DS in January is also good news if correct.
Old 11-04-04, 08:15 PM

Groucho,

Huh?

The pre-orders being haulted seem to suggest good pre-order sales, not bad.

Positive Proof? What is your postive proof? Do you have anything in writing to prove anything? A resignation from Nintendo that says they are going out of the Hardware business? Any financial statements? Anything whatsover as positive proof?

Not to mention, if you do your research, Nintendo actually has tons of money. They have no debt whatsoever and tons of savings. They arent going anywhere too soon. They might not sell like the PS2, but they have a considerable savings and arent in the red.

That doesnt suggest to me that the company will be bankrupting or going under anytime soon. Even with it's current fanbase, it has made enough to still support it's standing.

You just dont want to see Nintendo do well. Seriously, go have some vodka, take a bubble bath, and try to relax.

As for me. I wish DS & PSP both luck. It means more games from both I would like to play. Though I am preferring the games from DS so far. Once PSP announces some strong titles, I will look forward to that too. I wont be buying system only specific movies to play in it though.

The DS also has an advantage of being backwards compatible with GBA games. It was a selling point for me. I also like the wireless gaming and the need for only one game.
Old 11-04-04, 08:18 PM
Suspended

Originally posted by ClownFace666
Groucho,

Huh?

The pre-orders being haulted seem to suggest good pre-order sales, not bad.

Positive Proof? What is your postive proof? Do you have anything in writing to prove anything? A resignation from Nintendo that says they are going out of the Hardware business? Any financial statements? Anything whatsover as positive proof?

Not to mention, if you do your research, Nintendo actually has tons of money. They have no debt whatsoever and tons of savings. They arent going anywhere too soon. They might not sell like the PS2, but they have a considerable savings and arent in the red.

That doesnt suggest to me that the company will be bankrupting or going under anytime soon. Even with it's current fanbase, it has made enough to still support it's standing.

You just dont want to see Nintendo do well. Seriously, go have some vodka, take a bubble bath, and try to relax.

As for me. I wish DS & PSP both luck. It means more games from both I would like to play. Though I am preferring the games from DS so far. Once PSP announces some strong titles, I will look forward to that too. I wont be buying system only specific movies to play in it though.

The DS also has an advantage of being backwards compatible with GBA games. It was a selling point for me. I also like the wireless gaming and the need for only one game.
....It was a joke.
Old 11-04-04, 08:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
My local GameRush was only taking 4 preorders. I went ahead and paid for mine in full.

Proof positive that GameRush is going the way of Sega.
Old 11-04-04, 08:24 PM
Suspended

Dark, lol.

Im gonna pre-order mine tomorrow. Hopefully we will get them early...I want to play Mario so damn bad....and Mr Driller, and XY/XX....mmmmmmm.
Old 11-04-04, 08:24 PM

Oh, I see. I get it.

I am just so used to people being system specific fanboys/fangirls around here and bashing all others that I lose track.

Sorry guys.
Old 11-04-04, 08:26 PM
Suspended

Sega rocks. Still a bit miffed they did away with the Dreamcast so fast, but they release some top quality stuff (Otogi, Panzer, Sonics).
Old 11-04-04, 09:12 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'll have no trouble finding one of these on release day. Because the specialty game stores take pre-orders, they know exactly how many units to order, and never have any extras on the shelves on release day. Meanwhile, retailers who don't take preorders tend to have tons on the shelves, because (1) they ordered too many, (2) the game geeks have already gotten theirs at the specialty stores, or (3) the general public doesn't think to buy games or consoles at these non-specialty retailers. The result is pretty ironic actually--the last place I would think to go for a console on release day is a specialty game store.
Old 11-04-04, 09:52 PM

Originally posted by illennium
I'll have no trouble finding one of these on release day. Because the specialty game stores take pre-orders, they know exactly how many units to order, and never have any extras on the shelves on release day. Meanwhile, retailers who don't take preorders tend to have tons on the shelves, because (1) they ordered too many, (2) the game geeks have already gotten theirs at the specialty stores, or (3) the general public doesn't think to buy games or consoles at these non-specialty retailers. The result is pretty ironic actually--the last place I would think to go for a console on release day is a specialty game store.

Actually, this may not be the case. I used to believe exactly what you typed. I took a wait approach with the launch of the SP. They were sold out EVERYWHERE for 3 weeks. (I'm talking in 3 major cities across the state, I travel) May not be the case with the DS, just relaying my past experience.
Old 11-04-04, 09:55 PM
Suspended

Originally posted by illennium
Love people like this. Yeah, some will get lucky, but not all. SP's were sold out for weeks! Good luck findng a DS come a day or two after the launch, there won't be any!
Old 11-04-04, 09:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I've usually been able to find hardware without preordering and I rarely preorder hardware. However, I have seen people that could not find Game Boys around Christmas time so its not unheard of to miss out.

The nice thing about hardware is it is usually the same price everywhere so preordering is not a big deal unless some sleeze company like EB only lets you preorder a bundle with a crap 3rd party controller and other stuff you don't want. I got burned on that deal when the PS2 launched in 2000. I'll never fall for that bullcrap again.
Old 11-04-04, 10:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,407 Likes on 1,030 Posts
I just preordered at EBGames. They wanted a min of $20, with no crappy bundles. Didn't order a game, not too keen on those launch titles, though I suppose I'll pick up something to keep from buying a $150 paper weight.
Old 11-04-04, 10:21 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

i got 2 PS2s on launch day w/o preordering, not too worried here. it's all about knowing where to go and not believing the GS/EB preorder hype. Gamestop assured me that if i didnt preorder GTA:SA back in august i wouldnt be able to get a copy until AT LEAST the new year...yea ok. Best buy 1st day, and got a free GH title to boot.
Old 11-04-04, 10:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by DVDKrayzie
i got 2 PS2s on launch day w/o preordering, not too worried here. it's all about knowing where to go and not believing the GS/EB preorder hype. Gamestop assured me that if i didnt preorder GTA:SA back in august i wouldnt be able to get a copy until AT LEAST the new year...yea ok. Best buy 1st day, and got a free GH title to boot.
I love the way they hype preorders. I heard the same thing about GTA. I've seen multiple copies of that game at every store I've been to.

Yeah, I usually walk right in on launch day and buy my console or system at places like Target. I did it with the PStwo, Dreamcast, N64, GameCube and GBA SP. I wouldn't have preordered the DS if it wasn't for my huge stockpile of credit at GameRush.
Old 11-05-04, 04:00 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I had issues getting a PS2 near release (not day one) as well as the epic shortage that was N64's during that christmas season.
Old 11-05-04, 11:49 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
Perhaps it is because I am older and don't have the time to play like I use to, and perhaps it is because I bought a PS2 on release and sold it for $700 a day later, but I do not understand the hype of needing it on release day. I don't mind waiting a whole month, personally.

But kudos to those of you getting one now.
Old 11-05-04, 12:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Time to go preorder I guess...
Old 11-05-04, 03:53 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Originally posted by jeffdsmith
Actually, this may not be the case. I used to believe exactly what you typed. I took a wait approach with the launch of the SP. They were sold out EVERYWHERE for 3 weeks. (I'm talking in 3 major cities across the state, I travel) May not be the case with the DS, just relaying my past experience.
The day the SP was released I went to TRU and picked one up after work. It was the first one they'd sold all day. He said they had around a hundred more sitting in the back room. I was the first one to so much as ask about it.

Unless I get some sort of worthwhile bonus for preordering, I've never understood the point of paying a store up front simply for the privilege of buying from them.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.