Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Coming soon - Dallas: The Movie, Good Times: The Movie, and Miami Vice: The Movie

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Coming soon - Dallas: The Movie, Good Times: The Movie, and Miami Vice: The Movie

Old 11-04-04, 11:16 AM
Suspended

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

From Badmovies.net comes these tidbits:

As previously reported, the CBS primetime soap about the shenanigans of filthy rich power hungry Texans, yes, I speak of DALLAS, is coming to the big screen. Word has previously circulated that John Travolta was being sought for the role of JR Euwing, but nothing new has come of it. However, the Hollywood Reporter has confiremed that the film does have a director. His name is Robert Luketic and his previous films include LEGALLY BLONDE and WIN A DATE WITH TAD HAMILTON. Also, it will be written by the man that wrote the script for STEEL MAGNOLIAS. I'm just going to stop now and back away slowly. I suggest you do the same.

Also announced, a big screen version of the sitcom GOOD TIMES, which was a popular comedy drama about a low income family struggling to make it in a Chicago housing project in the 1970’s. While the show is considered something of a TV classic, albeit a minor one, it was very much a product of its time. It was also the show that gave us Jimmy Walker and his immortal catchphrase “Dy-no-mite!”. The studio involved in this most unwarranted endeavor shall remain nameless. In fact, let’s just move on and hope someone working at that nameless studio realizes just how wrong headed this idea is.

Another TV series coming soon to multiple screens at a multiplex near you will be MIAMI VICE. Universal is keen on adapting the stylish cop show that was originally pitched to NBC as "MTV cops". However, this one might actually have a chance of not sucking, at least not sucking as hard as most feature film TV show adaptations. The reason being that the show's original creator will be helming the movie version and that guy just happens to be Michael Mann. Variety reports that the studio is looking to cast Colin Farrell as Detective Sonny Crockett and Jamie Foxx as Detective Ricardo Tubbs. In other news, Don Johnson and Philip Michael Thomas are available for mall openings and car show appearances..
Old 11-04-04, 09:48 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
JJ Evans : Dave Chapelle
Thelma Evans: Megan Good (Biker Boyz)
Michael Evans: Marcus Paulk (That kid from Moesha)
Flo Evans: Novella Nelson (Antwone Fisher)
James Evans: Clifton Powell (Next Friday,Ray)
"Buffola Butt" Bookman:Charles Dutton (Roc)
Wilona: Angela Basset
Old 11-04-04, 09:59 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Michael Mann behind Vice is good since he was the writer for the show.
Old 11-05-04, 08:06 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Dallas has my vote for Brad Pitt as the hapless Gary Ewing, the black sheep middle brother to J.R. and Bobby
Old 11-05-04, 08:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally posted by gmal2003
JJ Evans : Dave Chapelle
Thelma Evans: Megan Good (Biker Boyz)
Michael Evans: Marcus Paulk (That kid from Moesha)
Flo Evans: Novella Nelson (Antwone Fisher)
James Evans: Clifton Powell (Next Friday,Ray)
"Buffola Butt" Bookman:Charles Dutton (Roc)
Wilona: Angela Basset
Dutton is a good choice, but Chappelle is way too old to play the teenager JJ.

They'd better find some way to write in "Damn, damn damn!"
Old 11-05-04, 10:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally posted by Charlie Goose
Dutton is a good choice, but Chappelle is way too old to play the teenager JJ.
Jimmie Walker was in his late twenties when he portrayed JJ. Besides, Chappelle has to play JJ because of the episode of "Chappelle's Show" where he said something like "I often get mistaken for him (Jimmie Walker) in shopping malls."
Old 11-05-04, 11:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 323 Likes on 241 Posts
Larry Hagman has stated both on the DALLAS DVD and in TV GUIDE that Bruce Willis should play JR Ewing. I think that's a pretty good choice. Travolta is a bad choice.

I think Gary Cole would be a good pick for Gary Ewing. Bobby Ewing is a bit tougher to cast - Tom Cruise would be a good fit, but it's doubtful they could ever afford him. But they would need someone who has that all-American look, but is still in their late 30's/early 40's.

Last edited by Shannon Nutt; 11-05-04 at 11:20 AM.
Old 11-05-04, 11:34 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Damn, what happened to Different Strokes the movie???
Old 11-05-04, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Yea, I think DC could pull off JJ despite his age. They look abou the same age (Chappelle now and JJ back then). Besides, who else could bring the funny?
Old 11-05-04, 03:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 323 Likes on 241 Posts
Originally posted by riley_dude
Damn, what happened to Different Strokes the movie???
What might be right for you, may not be right for some.
Old 11-05-04, 04:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally posted by Drexl
Jimmie Walker was in his late twenties when he portrayed JJ. Besides, Chappelle has to play JJ because of the episode of "Chappelle's Show" where he said something like "I often get mistaken for him (Jimmie Walker) in shopping malls."
Walker was also unknown back then, so he could pull it off. Chapelle is one of the hottest guys on television already, so that's too much baggage.

Maybe Walker could get a cameo as Ned the Wino.
Old 03-14-06, 04:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 460 Likes on 373 Posts
In regards to Dallas: The Movie, they are in negotiations to have Luke Wilson play Bobby Ewing, J-Lo to play Sue Ellen, John Travolta for J.R. and Shirley McLaine for Miss Ellie.

Link
Old 03-14-06, 07:04 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Knots landing the movie: starring everyone from the OC.