Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

what about bob?

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-04, 09:36 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
what about bob?

Is this going to be rerelease in anamorphic anytime? This is one of the best comedies out there.
Old 11-04-04, 11:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would like one too, and I thought that maybe with Bill Murray´s recent success with Lost In Translation (and being cheated at the Oscars), they would do a SE...but I haven´t heard anything
Old 11-04-04, 12:07 PM

I would also like to see an anamorphic release of this as well.
Old 11-04-04, 04:11 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yeah me too. I have the current one but only because I found it cheap one day at Best Buy.
Old 11-04-04, 06:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

What about Bob?

Microsoft Bob
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.
Microsoft Bob was a product released by Microsoft in March 1995, designed to be a user friendly interface for Microsoft Windows version 3.1, intended to replace the Program Manager.

The software included home management programs such as a calendar and address book. The software was not successful in the market, however, and is sometimes considered Microsoft's least successful product.

Despite its poor market showing, Bob's yellow smiley face logo became widely associated with the product and Microsoft in general.

Bob-like interactive assistants (similar to the later-generation Clippy or Clippit, the talking paperclip) led to Microsoft Agent, a technology that later became embedded in a number of Microsoft products, including Microsoft Office. Like Bob, however, these assistants are notorious for being generally disliked by users, and it is said that one of the most common questions Microsoft support is asked is how to turn them off. One of the key elements of Microsoft's advertising campaign for Office XP was the removal of Clippy and the Office Assistant from the software, although it was still present, providing the user enabled it.

Some designs of the cartoons were used in other Microsoft products:

Bob's face was used in MSN Messenger under "Nerd Smiley"
Will, the cartoon of William Shakespeare, and the red ball called "The Dot" can be found as Office Assistants
The yellow dog "Rover" can be found in the search function of Windows XP
Rover's animations (like typing on a computer) inspired the Office Assistant "Rex"
Microsoft Bob was a project managed by Melinda French, who later married Bill Gates.

(sorry, I know I should have resisted the temptation, but any chance to bring a smile to someone's face...)
Old 11-05-04, 12:31 PM

Mashed potatoes and gravy guys! I've been waiting for this for a while now...I LOVE THIS FLICK!!!