Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Did other BestBuys break street on Shrek 2?

Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Old 11-03-04, 05:29 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I went to my local Best Buy in West Covina on Tuesday. They were putting out tables full of Shrek 2, but it was at full price. The employee there said that if I wanted the sale price I would have to come back on Friday. Did all BBs do this or is mine special?

BTW, the manager at this store is a real ass. I've had incidents where employees would ask for email and my address and then subscribe me to netflix and magazines without my permission. No apologies, the manager would just give me his name and told me to talk to corporate. Spent 2 hours trying to clear it up and cancelling these subscriptions. They refuse to price match nearly anything. For example, if a competitor has it on sale, then it's a "special" and not included in the price match. If Fry's says "one per customer" then it's "limited quantities" and not included in their price match policy. I've spent over $12,000 at BB in the past year and this store is the worst one I've been to. Unfortunately it's the closest one to me.

I'm writing a letter to corporate complaining about this guy. Any suggestions?
Old 11-03-04, 06:17 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Availability: This item will be released on November 5, 2004. You may order it now and we will ship it to you when it arrives.

2 days early.no big deal.
Old 11-03-04, 06:17 PM

My first suggestion would be to STOP SHOPPING AT THE STORE! If the customer service is as bad as you say, then why support that particular store? Any store that doesn't respect or honor their customers isn't getting my money, regardless of how close it is to my home.
Old 11-03-04, 06:28 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Did other BestBuys break street on Shrek 2?

Originally posted by madoka
I went to my local Best Buy in West Covina on Tuesday. They were putting out tables full of Shrek 2, but it was at full price. The employee there said that if I wanted the sale price I would have to come back on Friday. Did all BBs do this or is mine special?

BTW, the manager at this store is a real ass. I've had incidents where employees would ask for email and my address and then subscribe me to netflix and magazines without my permission. No apologies, the manager would just give me his name and told me to talk to corporate. Spent 2 hours trying to clear it up and cancelling these subscriptions. They refuse to price match nearly anything. For example, if a competitor has it on sale, then it's a "special" and not included in the price match. If Fry's says "one per customer" then it's "limited quantities" and not included in their price match policy. I've spent over $12,000 at BB in the past year and this store is the worst one I've been to. Unfortunately it's the closest one to me.

Call them out for breaking street. EB did the same thing, selling ROTK for $24.99 before it released, and I imagine the people responsible were dealt with. I f-ing hate Best Buy.
Old 11-03-04, 06:35 PM

Got it from Blockbuster last Thursday 10/28/04.
Old 11-03-04, 06:36 PM

and this is one of the many reasons why i hate best buy!
Old 11-03-04, 07:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts

BTW, the manager at this store is a real ass. I've had incidents where employees would ask for email and my address and then subscribe me to netflix and magazines without my permission. No apologies, the manager would just give me his name and told me to talk to corporate. Spent 2 hours trying to clear it up and cancelling these subscriptions. They refuse to price match nearly anything.

Are you talking about the West Covina in California and the Best Buy next to the Washington Mutual? That's the Best Buy I hit every Tuesday and have never had a problem with them (well, except when I wanted to buy 10 of their Fox Preview Discs for a penny each). I've gotten some Price Matches at that store that they never should have allowed.

Maybe I've been to the store when most of the crappy employees weren't there. I usually hit the store in the morning.

Andrew
Old 11-03-04, 07:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I gotta agree with those who say stop shopping there. I buy almost all my DVDs online, no dealing with annoying sales people.
Old 11-03-04, 08:31 PM

you could always buy it and then price match the ad later I guess.
Old 11-03-04, 09:26 PM

i've never had a problem with west covina best buy.
Old 11-03-04, 09:57 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
go to Tarantino's store. He'll give you better service
Old 11-03-04, 10:46 PM

Service must vary in different areas. We've got Best Buys all over the place here in Minneapolis, and I've never really had a bad service experience in hundreds and hundreds of visits. Of course, corporate is also located here, so not sure if that has anything to do with it...

I still won't go into a Best Buy looking for any advice from sales staff, but in general have never had problems with the service.
Old 11-03-04, 11:16 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Anyone got contact information to turn them in for breaking street date? Normally I'm totally in favor of breaking street date, but that sure would be a nice ace in the hole to have when dealing with BBY's particular brand of customer non-sevice.
Old 11-03-04, 11:44 PM

Didn't see Shrek 2, but the BB in Portland, OR had several copies of Romero's "Martin" out a week early, and for only $10.99. The website shows the price as $12.99. Used a RZ certificate and got it for $5.99. Not a bad deal.
Old 11-04-04, 01:44 PM
Cool New Member

Maybe you guys have been lucky at West Covina, but not me. Went back last night just to confirm that they do indeed suck. On a pricematch, the CS "Steve" took 20 minutes as he disappeared into the back to call for pricing and inventory. Then after confirming that, he started making up new rules I had never heard of before. He told me that I forfeit any RZ certificates and Best Buy bucks I had used on the original purchase if I take advantage of their price match guarantee. At that point I asked him to tell me where it says any of that. He tells me it's written on the front of every BB buck. I ask him to prove it. 10 more minutes of him searching around and he admits it's not there. Then he has to talk to his operations manager to see what he can do for me. I mean, this was a legitimate price match and it took over 30 minutes of them trying everything under the sun to not do it. There were even times when they wouldn't do it because I didn't buy it at *their* BB. Told me that I had to go to the one I bought it at. From my experience, they've done everything possible to make it as inconvenienent and unpleasant to return or price match there.

As for why I go there, I live about 1 mile from this one, drive by it every day, and it's a 20 minutes further to the next BB. Sometimes when you just want to make a small purchase, it's just easier to deal with.

Anyone have the address to BB corporate? I've prepared quite a letter for them and will also complain to Dreamworks about them breaking street. Breaking street to force people to pay full price as opposed to the sale price later this week is just cheesy.
Old 11-04-04, 02:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Headquarters
Best Buy Corporate Campus
7601 Penn Avenue South
Richfield, MN USA 55423-3645

Richard M. Schulze
Title: Founder and Chairman- Best Buy Co., Inc.

Bradbury H. Anderson
Title: Vice Chairman and Chief Executive Officer- Best Buy Co., Inc

Al Lenzmeier
Title: President and Chief Operating Officer - Best Buy Co., Inc.

Mike Keskey
Title: President - Best Buy Stores- Best Buy Co., Inc.

Brian J. Dunn
Title: Executive Vice President – Retail Sales- Best Buy Co., Inc.

If you are going to write to one of these folks; my experience has told me that they will listen if your letter is factual, professional, devoid of emotional responses and you are clear in what you are asking them to do in terms of compensation or change in policy.

Last edited by RonBoster; 11-04-04 at 02:34 PM.
Old 11-04-04, 02:31 PM

Worst Buy

Originally posted by shelland
Service must vary in different areas. We've got Best Buys all over the place here in Minneapolis, and I've never really had a bad service experience in hundreds and hundreds of visits. Of course, corporate is also located here, so not sure if that has anything to do with it...

I still won't go into a Best Buy looking for any advice from sales staff, but in general have never had problems with the service.
I guess its just me that always has horrible experiences with Best Buy in the L.A. area, these include West LA (On Pico), Burbank, Atwater Village and Hawthorne. I can never get them to pricematch without giving me hell. The worst one was when I went to purchase some cdr spindles. I went with a co-worker who bought 2 spindles. He was in front of me in line. He was able to purchase both of them without a problem. I try to purchase 3 spindles and the cashier calls the manager over and gives me hell and tells me I can't because its only one per customer. I argue with the cashier and manager that it is not stated anywhere near the product or on the sales ad that it was one per customer. I even tell the manager that the cashier just rang up my friend for 2 spindles. Still couldn't get them to sell me more than 1. Anyway, left the store pissed off and sent an email to corporate. Never heard anything from corporate which made matters worst. So now every chance I get I try to screw them over.
Old 11-04-04, 03:50 PM

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts
Nice information, but this belongs in the Store Forum.