Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Any chance for a new SE of The Fan?

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-04, 10:36 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Any chance for a new SE of The Fan?

The new cheapie verson is only fullscreen and the old version has both widescreen and fullscreen though devoid of special features. I was wondering if I bought the original version (which I saw used at Hollywood Video) is there a chance that I will have to double dip later. (this is the Deniro/Snipes flick I'm talking about) What do you guys think?
Old 11-03-04, 06:14 PM
Banned

Location: Right now, my location is DVDTalk, but then again, you should already know that, shouldn't you?
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Anything is possible, but this was a rather embarrassing flop (though, I, too, find it to be an enjoyable flick--what, everything with DeNiro in it has to be the Second Soming of Christ???) for the studio, considering it's star power, so it ranks in the unlikely category...
Old 11-03-04, 09:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Good feedback filmmaker. I didn't remember that it was a flop. I think I'm going to go ahead and buy the original version then.
Old 11-03-04, 11:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Filmmaker
Anything is possible, but this was a rather embarrassing flop (though, I, too, find it to be an enjoyable flick--what, everything with DeNiro in it has to be the Second Soming of Christ???) for the studio, considering it's star power, so it ranks in the unlikely category...
According to boxofficemojo, The Fan made a whopping $18.6 million.
Old 11-04-04, 12:31 AM

I was in the fan(as an extra of course). Shot the movie in Angel stadium before they renovated it. I even got to do my required 3 hours of homework (I was like 10) in the media press box. I do remember how badly it did in the theaters though. Seemed like that always happened if I was in a movie. (Godzilla, Jingle all the Way...just to name a few.)

Lots of crappier movies have been getting SE's though, so who knows.
Old 11-04-04, 06:24 AM
Cool New Member

So the old version IS in widescreen? That's good to hear because it's an entertaining movie I've been wanting to own but I've held off on buying it as it's listed as full screen only on the case. Next time I'm at Best Buy, I'll have to pick it up.

Back to the topic, a SE could always happen but if you really want the movie now just buy it at Best Buy (probably cheaper than used at Hollywood as BB has it for somewhere around six bucks). Should a SE roll around, you could buy that for the features and keep the original one for the movie.
Old 11-04-04, 07:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The original version had both widescreen and full-screen versions on the same disc, but Columbia, in it's infinite wisdom began reissuing their old flippers with just the pan & scam version. the Fan is one of those, unfortunately. You'll have to search around for old stock or try Ebay.