TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Veronica Mars 11/2/04

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-04, 12:07 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Veronica Mars 11/2/04

"The Return of Kane"

Voting discrepancies in the student council president race between Duncan and an outsider named Wanda prompts Veronica to get to the bottom of the mystery.

The student council policies propagates the "haves and have nots" status quo in terms of lunch privileges (where the haves use Pirate points in order to be able to order food off school premises, Pirate points come from participation in "in" school activities). Wanda wants to abolish Pirate points, and runs her platform on that issue and gains a lot of support from the have nots.

Logan is fearful of a Wanda victory, so he throws Duncan's name into the hat, and even has his dad do an endorsement video on his behalf. Duncan wins in a landslide in the first election, but Veronica determines that someone sabotaged the opti-scan cards candidate selection instructions, resulting in votes for Wanda to be diverted to Duncan as well.

Logan brings shame on his family for his bum-fights on tape side-business. Harry Hamel plays Logan's dad, and tries to do some public relations damage by arranging some charity work for Logan to be filmed by curious news crews. Logan takes the opportunity to cost his father $500,000 as a donation to the homeless shelter they were at for the afternoon serving food. Logan's father whips Logan many times for that costly pronouncement.

In the run-off election, the mudslinging starts, and Wanda is characterized as a "narc" and even Weevil won't support Wanda because she narc'd out one of his friends. Veronica test Wanda's propensity to narc out people, and Veronica is rewarded with yet another locker search after alluding to Wanda that Veronica is hooked up with extasy. Wanda was a narc, and it was due to wanting to keep her record expunged after getting busted for possession herself. Veronica is thankful that Duncan pulls off the election win, and he immediately promotes a more inclusive Pirates points system, and then goes full-boar into deciding which candies they will sell as a fund-raiser.

Veronica gets caught poking through her dad's safe at work (her dad changed the safe's combination), but a photo from the safe gets her curiousity up since the photo shows shoes of Lilly, and it's the same pair that confessed convicted killer Koontz was found with in his dwelling last year. Veronica and her dad talk through why he's given up looking for Lilly's killer, but the photo will make him revive the investigation.
Old 11-03-04, 07:27 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,883 Likes on 1,239 Posts
Re: Veronica Mars 11/2/04

Originally posted by Patman
a photo from the safe gets her curiousity up since the photo shows shoes of Lilly, and it's the same pair that confessed convicted killer Koontz was found with in his dwelling last year.
I thought the episode was trying to show that it wasn't the same pair since the shoes in the bag didn't have the "Duncan" heart on them. Or did they? I went back and rewatched that shot for a second look, but if the shoes were identical, I still couldn't see that heart.
Old 11-03-04, 08:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I must be losing my mind because I completely missed the part about Veronica hinting to Wanda that she had X. I was wondering why she was mad at her at the end.
Old 11-03-04, 08:27 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,883 Likes on 1,239 Posts
Originally posted by Charlie Goose
I must be losing my mind because I completely missed the part about Veronica hinting to Wanda that she had X. I was wondering why she was mad at her at the end.
It was when Veronica was talking to Wanda about going to a rave in the desert, win or lose. Veronica said something about "provisions with a capital 'E'".
Old 11-03-04, 09:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Adam Tyner
It was when Veronica was talking to Wanda about going to a rave in the desert, win or lose. Veronica said something about "provisions with a capital 'E'".
Oh, those nutty kids and their hip lingo. Went right over my head.
Old 11-03-04, 09:54 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I thought there was the heart marking was on both sets of shoes. I won't be able to check my ReplayTV recording until after work, though.

Did I spell "extasy" correctly? I think that's how it's spelled for the drug, while "ecstasy" is how you spell what the Red Sox fans were feeling after sweeping the Cards in the World Series.

Last edited by Patman; 11-03-04 at 09:57 AM.
Old 11-03-04, 06:40 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 259 Likes on 195 Posts
I thought it wasn't of this shows strongest episodes

The thought of Harry Hamlin beating someone struck me as funny, I don't know why.
Old 11-03-04, 08:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by MrX
The thought of Harry Hamlin beating someone struck me as funny, I don't know why.
I know. When Logan was picking out the belt from the closet, I thought to myself "That'd be funny if he was picking out a belt for his dad to beat him with" and then when it turned out to be true, I just laughed.

Boy, Lisa Rinna sure had a big part (chugging her drink while her son was getting beat).

I liked Logan's "A Fish Called Wanda" reference, when he referred to her as "W-W-W-Wanda".

Last edited by Jadzia; 11-03-04 at 08:41 PM.
Old 11-04-04, 08:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have found it kind of strange how they have stuck Weevil in only one or two quick scenes the last few eps. Kind if like the writers just have him around for a big reveal later on, but they don't want the viewers to forget that he exists.

Still loving the show. It is pretty complex for an 8pm show--it is like "The Wire" for kids .
Old 11-04-04, 04:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Great show.

The question is how did Koontz end up with a pair of Lily's shoes after it was shown that these shoes were in her room the night of her murder after the cops got there? Obviously, they were planted on him.
Old 11-05-04, 03:21 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The writing on this show is fantastic. I don't know how they do it, but they always manage to find these little side mysteries for VM to solve in an extremely clever, sometimes brilliant, way. And at the same time, they manage to slowly progress the big storyline one tiny reveal at a time.

I wonder how much of the Lily Kane storyline will be revealed this season.
Old 11-05-04, 04:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by hahn
I wonder how much of the Lily Kane storyline will be revealed this season.
All of it. The producers have said that the murder mystery will be solved at the end of the first season.
Old 11-05-04, 08:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by hahn
they manage to slowly progress the big storyline one tiny reveal at a time.
Please stop using the word reveal as a noun. Kthxbye.
Old 11-05-04, 08:49 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Kirsten Bell will be on Letterman Friday, for those so inclined.
Old 11-05-04, 09:31 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by Balah

Still loving the show. It is pretty complex for an 8pm show--it is like "The Wire" for kids .
That's great!

Originally posted by movieking

All of it. The producers have said that the murder mystery will be solved at the end of the first season.
That's even greater. I watch every episode terrified that they will leave me hanging. Now hopefully the show will make it through the entire season. I do like that it has the big storyline going though. Maybe they'll intro new arcs for different seasons?
Old 11-07-04, 09:55 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

i had heard about this show but hadn't paid much attention to it. then i saw kristen bell on letterman the other night.... holy crap did she look good!!!
Old 11-07-04, 10:21 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts
The butler did it.
Old 11-07-04, 10:39 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Well, Kristen Bell is around 24-25, playing a 16 year old, so she does clean up well.
Old 11-07-04, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by kevin75
then i saw kristen bell on letterman the other night.
PICS???
Old 11-07-04, 11:38 PM

From AICN:
Much-acclaimed UPN hourlong “Veronica Mars,” which garnered its best 18-49 ratings to date last Tuesday, will get to complete its first season, according to Monday editions of the Hollywood trade papers.

The news alleviates much of the fear among fans that the netlet would abandon the skein before its title character solved the murder of her best friend, Lilly Kane.
http://www.aintitcoolnews.com/display.cgi?id=18760
Old 11-07-04, 11:54 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
THANK YOU GOD!
Old 11-08-04, 12:25 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

That's great news.
Old 11-08-04, 06:17 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts
Works for me.