DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : Dealing with people who always think they are right

calhoun07
11-01-04, 04:07 PM
I am sure several of you have them at your jobs (or if you don't know who they are, the person is probably you!) but it seems often wherever I work there is always somebody who has to be right, and right 100% of the time and heaven forbid if they are ever proven wrong.

The thing that pisses me off the most is not they just have to be right all the time, or get in the last word, but that even if they are wrong, they will change their story as many times as it takes to make you look wrong so they come out looking right.

No specific examples to give, but for those of you who deal with these type of people, what is the best way to handle them?

Green Jello
11-01-04, 04:15 PM
Shoot 'em in the face!

Kittydreamer
11-01-04, 04:16 PM
http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B00068J4PS.01-A17Z7BZ72LPSLN._SCMZZZZZZZ_.jpg

WhoGirl
11-01-04, 04:19 PM
By putting even the slightest bit of doubt in their minds, in the most humble, innocent way. Or actually proving them wrong with evidence.

By trying to forcefully make your point with that kind of personality is useless. It feeds their fire and makes it that much harder to get them to understand.

Trust me. I know this because I am always right. :up:

BizRodian
11-01-04, 04:21 PM
I just let them think it. Sometimes you can prove it by evidence, but some people will even deny that.

Green Jello
11-01-04, 04:22 PM
Not in any way related to the topic, but how do you people edit your DVD Talk stautus label thing? For example WhoGirl's "Flower of Hell".

twikoff
11-01-04, 04:24 PM
wait in the wings and dont let them have the satisfaction of being right
but when you find out there are wrong about anything.. make your evidence public knowledge

RoyalTea
11-01-04, 04:24 PM
People who think they know everything really annoy those of us that do.

majorjoe23
11-01-04, 04:26 PM
Originally posted by Green Jello
Not in any way related to the topic, but how do you people edit your DVD Talk stautus label thing? For example WhoGirl's "Flower of Hell".

Do something that amuses or pisses off a mod.

DonnachaOne
11-01-04, 04:27 PM
Originally posted by RoyalTea
People who think they know everything really annoy those of us that do. Bastard! I was just going to quote that!

... although the right quote is "Those of you who think you know everything are annoying to those of us who do".

http://www.bbc.co.uk/comedy/theoffice/images/200/davidbrent.jpg

Kittydreamer
11-01-04, 04:27 PM
Originally posted by Green Jello

There's a special technique that involves hamsters, lime jello and 32 midgets but I can't tell you anything else. I'm still hoping I'll get mine changed to "twikoff groupie"....:eyebrow:

WhoGirl
11-01-04, 04:28 PM
Originally posted by majorjoe23
Do something that amuses or pisses off a mod.
The latter usually makes for a more intersting title. ;):up:

aintnosin
11-01-04, 04:31 PM
My advice: wait until you have:

A) An alibi witness.

B) A way to dispose of the body.

Green Jello
11-01-04, 04:34 PM
Originally posted by WhoGirl
The latter usually makes for a more intersting title. ;):up:

Good to know. I was hoping that I wasn't missing something in the setttings.

Generally, I have a hard time just pissing off a mod. I generally go from unknown to banned. I need to find the happy median.

Fok
11-01-04, 04:45 PM
If there's any hard evidence to prove that they are wrong, then use that in front of an audience.

Tazwolff
11-01-04, 05:53 PM
Use audio and/or video to record them. Then when you have the evidence to prove them wrong, do it in front of an audience as said. Be careful though, these types of people are the ones that might shoot YOU in the face when you do prove them wrong.

Bandoman
11-01-04, 06:18 PM
It's a good thing there's no one like that on the forum. :D

kvrdave
11-01-04, 06:22 PM
I try very hard to explain that there were no inertial dampeners on the Phoenix.

Supermallet
11-01-04, 06:27 PM
Trust me. I know this because I am always right. :up:

At least that's what I let her think. ;)

MJKTool
11-01-04, 06:35 PM
You're asking the people here this question?

GreenMonkey
11-01-04, 06:49 PM
You're asking the people here this question?

:lol:

I understand this. My aunt is like this. I remember once when she was trying to insist something about computers at the dinner table. Yeah, the person who last touched a computer in a typing class 4 years before is probably right, and the Electrical Engineering major that builds PCs for gaming is wrong. Suuuuure.

She is always right, and either knows everything, or knows someone from work that knows everything.

The solution is to give up. You cannot win, no matter who reasonable the argument. Avoid.

Rival11
11-01-04, 06:53 PM
I had a friend like this once, note the word "had".

Extremely annoying, especially when it comes to the smallest conversations - it drives you fucking crazy.

Supermallet
11-01-04, 06:57 PM
Originally posted by GreenMonkey

The solution is to give up. You cannot win, no matter who reasonable the argument. Avoid.

Sometimes you can't avoid them, though. Especially if you have to work with them.

WhoGirl
11-01-04, 06:57 PM
Originally posted by Suprmallet
At least that's what I let her think. ;)
Hey, wait a second. You almost always agree with me. Therefore if I'm wrong most of the time, so are you.

:D

eXcentris
11-01-04, 07:00 PM
My dad was like that. If you proved him wrong he'd quickly change the subject and come back a week later arguing the same crap all over again as if nothing happened. Used to drive me nuts. I think that's what drove me to start smoking pot as a youth. :)

DVD Polizei
11-01-04, 07:05 PM
Ask if they are so smart, why are they still working their measely job, taking orders from someone who is making more money than they are, and dumber as well. :)

Supermallet
11-01-04, 07:06 PM
Hey, wait a second. You almost always agree with me. Therefore if I'm wrong most of the time, so are you.

But at least we're wrong together. :)

Naaah, I'm kidding. I know we're always right. I just don't like to let on to everyone here that they're in the presence of two geniuses whose combined powers make us almost godlike... :D

Roto
11-01-04, 07:08 PM

And it surprises you that suprmallet could be wrong most of the time? :hscratch:

My step-dad always got into arguements with his dad at the dinner table during family gatherings. Finally my step-dad got tired of it and decided that he would just say, "I have no opinion." It worked sometimes, but not quite as good as the other plan of just to quit serving wine :lol:

Supermallet
11-01-04, 07:09 PM
Originally posted by Roto
And it surprises you that suprmallet could be wrong most of the time? :hscratch:

BLASPHEMY! You dare doubt the Flower Of Hell!?

Roto
11-01-04, 07:11 PM
You're like two states away. Nobody here even has Photoshop material of me to make threats with :lol:

Supermallet
11-01-04, 07:14 PM
Originally posted by Roto
You're like two states away. Nobody here even has Photoshop material of me to make threats with :lol:

Just you wait until I learn how to kill people with my mind. *shakes fist*

calhoun07
11-01-04, 09:29 PM
Originally posted by GreenMonkey
:lol:

I understand this. My aunt is like this. I remember once when she was trying to insist something about computers at the dinner table. Yeah, the person who last touched a computer in a typing class 4 years before is probably right, and the Electrical Engineering major that builds PCs for gaming is wrong. Suuuuure.

She is always right, and either knows everything, or knows someone from work that knows everything.

Yeah, kinda hard to avoid them when you work with them. And the thing is I usually just let it go, but the situation that came up at work had the potential to get me into deep trouble because I was being accused of doing something wrong when it was in fact the person doing something wrong. And I knew they were doing it wrong, because I had been doing this task for 7 years or so, and this person had just started it recently. It was something that had the potential to get me into trouble if she took it to her supervisor and put her spin on it and tried to make her crap smell like roses while she painted me out as some incompetent moron.

How I handled it this time was I took the inititive to contact the supervisor about the situation (after the person told me to shut up and leave her alone when I tried to reason with her) and I got my response today, from three people higher than me, actually: I was right and they would have a talk with her.

Of course, the rest of the work day was kind of awkward. I know she doesn't like to be proven wrong. This person is somebody who makes mountains out of mole hills and everything is an issue.

NotThatGuy
11-01-04, 09:31 PM
Set them up with something...then take them down HARD! ;)

-pedagogue

ps You can kick them in the nuts too.

WhoGirl
11-01-04, 09:35 PM
Originally posted by Suprmallet
But at least we're wrong together. :)

Naaah, I'm kidding. I know we're always right. I just don't like to let on to everyone here that they're in the presence of two geniuses whose combined powers make us almost godlike... :D
"Almost Godlike?"

See, you're wrong again and I am right. We *are* God-like. There's none of that 'almost' nonsense.

pedagogue has the right idea. Ask them a loaded question. :up:

Tandem
11-01-04, 10:05 PM
What's the difference between God and Suprmallet?

God knows He's not Suprmallet. :)

Supermallet
11-01-04, 11:21 PM
Originally posted by Tandem
What's the difference between God and Suprmallet?

God knows He's not Suprmallet. :)

Tsk, tsk. Read again. I said almost godlike. WhoGirl said godlike outright. I'm too firm in my atheism to ever compare myself fully to something that doesn't exist. :)

Otto
11-02-04, 02:15 AM
I handle those sort of people very easily. I'm always right when dealing with them. It's very simple, really.

See, those sorts tend to have to change their story to become right a lot of the time. Sort of history rewriting. Whereas I'm pretty quiet most of the time anyway, so around them, I make it a point to never make any declarative statements until I know I'll be right. I just stay very quiet and let them run their mouths and eventually I'll have enough of the facts to state how it is, unequivocally. Just say how it is as if you're Moses coming down from the mountain, stating things that nobody can argue with. Use a deeper voice if you have to. Then when you turn out to be dead on correct, nod and say "of course" in the same sort of voice. Do this a few times and just watch them shut the hell up when you're around. Works out well.

Dabaomb
11-02-04, 02:30 AM
Parcher? Are you there?

TOPDAWG
11-02-04, 04:55 AM
I'm not always right I'm just never wrong.

jw2299
11-02-04, 07:12 AM
My boss is always right. I've developed a way to get what I want out of her though. I try to get her to think that what I want to do was her idea, therefore it's a good idea, and I should do it. It's amazing how this personality can be played.

Parcher
03-31-05, 02:52 PM
Parcher? Are you there?

Hello :)