Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Letter From The Editor (play)

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-04, 11:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Letter From The Editor (play)

Role up on this!

Hip-hop music is a beautiful thing. I love all the big butts and excess, humvees rolling up full of girlies, and great people like Nelly and LL getting their message out there to kids that they can do whatever they aspire to. Looks to me that these people are having some mad fun, and thats what life is all about; well, that and being a productive member of whatever society you happen to be a part of. As a music lover, I respect all forms of music and music culture, as well as all the people gifted enough to provide the backgroung music for our lives... without lip synching. Music is what got me through my youth, so I have great respect for it.
With that out of the way, I have to say (well, we, actually; this one is gnawing away at us all), do we really need so many games exploiting the hip-hop culture? No offence to all of the people out there who think it's cool, but if your a white guy trying to get all fa-shizzle, your just a poser. Unless you love it because it's in you, give it a rest. Eminem is an anomaly. Remember Vanilla Ice? That's more like what you look like (nothing against Ice, by the way; he's a fellow moto-head, so he's all right...now). At first it was just a "yo homie" here or a "shizzle" there, but now we're looking at games so mired in hip-hop culture you barely notice the game around it.
And what's with all the wet streets bathed in neon? What city is this? And where are all these cars covered in graphics surrounded by models in bikinis? Do awesome babes really dig guys who spend their life savings tuning economy cars? Sure MTV is wall-to-wall hip-hop, but I watch Fuse and Headbanger's Ball, as I'm sure many of you do. I don't see anybody making me a game full of hair bands in black muscle cars with blown Hemis and fire-breathing headers. Where's GTA Heavy Metal, or Metal Jam or SRS in the motor city? Was The Fast and the Furious really such an influetial movie that it turned the whole of car culture into modding? I swear, if I fire up another racing game and hear about how I gotz to role up on something, I'm gonna need a Xanax. I realize that pop culture and video games will always mirror each other and I'm all for it. In fact, I love the idea of music-themed video games; I just want one I can call my own as a white guy raised on Rock and Roll and metal; have we become that endangered? There should be hip-hop games out there. All I'm saying is, what about the rest of us? I love racing games, especially the new trend of huge open cities, but I live in the suburbs and play air guitar to Velvet Revolver. Won't somebody please make me a game? Thanks yo.

Sorry this is so long but I found it very entertaining and true to a point. Comments from the Peanut Gallery?

DARTH
Old 11-01-04, 11:22 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Fo shizzle! We must exploit the hip-hop culture!
Old 11-01-04, 12:07 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

um... businesses like to make money. if hip hop makes money, more power to them.

i think country and western music is the most popular type of music in the US. maybe they should make a game about that.
Old 11-01-04, 01:06 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Originally posted by young
um... businesses like to make money. if hip hop makes money, more power to them.

i think country and western music is the most popular type of music in the US. maybe they should make a game about that.
Toby Keith always struck me as a video game character...

...in that I'd like to shoot him. Repeatedly.

In the context of a video game, of course.
Old 11-01-04, 03:07 PM
Suspended

Wait a sec - MTV plays music? Since when!

(And Headbangers ball, no less! What is this - the late 80's?)
Old 11-01-04, 04:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: Letter From The Editor (play)

Originally posted by DARTH GAMER
I just want one I can call my own as a white guy raised on Rock and Roll and metal; but I live in the suburbs and play air guitar to Velvet Revolver. Won't somebody please make me a game? Thanks yo.
Hah! They already did...

Old 11-01-04, 04:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,081 Likes on 656 Posts
God...I actually owned Crue Ball. What a terrible game. I had forgotten about it.

I owned the Kiss Pinball game which was much worse...believe it or not.
Old 11-01-04, 04:50 PM

That Kiss Psycho Circus FPS was only slightly better.