Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

The OC dvd video quality

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-04, 01:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The OC dvd video quality

No one seems to have posted anything on this so maybe I'm the only one with this problem but man, the video quality on the OC dvds is pretty bad. The FBI warning that plays when you 1st insert the dvd into the player looks like something that was taken out of a VHS tape that was played about a million times. Same for the blue 'do not copy' warning that plays at the end of each dvd.

Those logos aside, the actual video quality of the episodes is bad all it's own. It gets really bad in outdoor scenes where it's bright or when the camera is panning. When it's bright I notice a bunch of particles all over the screen, 'specially if there's a shot of the sky. When the camera pans or moves around it also looks like it loses focus big time.

I don't know it's a poor job on their part while they were putting this thing together or if it's my equipment or what. I own a boatload of dvds and I've never really ran into this before. Only reason I'm wondering if it's on my end is because no one has mentioned it here or on any other forum that I can find which I find kind of odd.

Anyone run into this?

Last edited by Mr_Lyle; 10-31-04 at 01:53 AM.
Old 10-31-04, 01:55 AM
X
Administrator

Received 154 Likes on 124 Posts
I see that bad quality VHS-looking FBI warning as well on many DVDs that have good video quality for the rest of the DVD. I don't know why they do that.
Old 10-31-04, 01:13 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I still haven't gotten a response regarding the shimmering I noticed on Episodes 13 and 14 on Disc 4. Has anyone else spotted this on their copy or is my set defective?
Old 10-31-04, 07:47 AM

If you're willing to describe the problem again I'll check my dvds today and let you know.

Did you notice any of the things I said though? About the particles when it's bright and the focus issue when the camera moves?
Old 10-31-04, 10:30 AM

Originally posted by Mr_Lyle
If you're willing to describe the problem again I'll check my dvds today and let you know.

Did you notice any of the things I said though? About the particles when it's bright and the focus issue when the camera moves?
Watch Episode 13 and you can't miss it. The background is blurry and out-of-focus most of the time. It's not as bad in Episode 14, but it's still there in a few scenes.
Old 10-31-04, 12:04 PM

I just checked my dvds and what you're describing on those 2 eps, the blurry background and the out of focus thing is exactly what I have in just about every episode.

From the lack of replies to this thread, I'm starting to think that I actually have a bootleg copy of this thing. Can you tell me if the FBI warning that plays at the beginning of each dvd looks really crappy on your dvds as well? Mine looks like somkething that was downsampled to like 200 bitrate. It's blurry and shakey. This is strange.
Old 10-31-04, 12:54 PM
X
Administrator

Received 154 Likes on 124 Posts
Originally posted by Mr_Lyle
Can you tell me if the FBI warning that plays at the beginning of each dvd looks really crappy on your dvds as well? Mine looks like somkething that was downsampled to like 200 bitrate. It's blurry and shakey. This is strange.
As I said before, I see that same bad FBI warning on DVDs that I know are not bootlegs. I just saw it the other day on The Fearless Vampire Killers.
Old 10-31-04, 01:03 PM

Originally posted by X
As I said before, I see that same bad FBI warning on DVDs that I know are not bootlegs. I just saw it the other day on The Fearless Vampire Killers.
Don't misunderstand me. I believe you. I'm sure that there are dvds like that but what I'm trying to establish is if these DVDs are like that. Cause mine are kind of weird and if someone else that has these can verify that their logos are or aren't like that, it might give me an indication of they're bootleg or not. As you can see, not too many people responding which leads me to believe that something is up on my end. Just trying to establish if it's just a bad job on the part of studio or something more.
Old 10-31-04, 01:20 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,881 Likes on 1,238 Posts
The review at Current Film indicates that the show was apparently shot on 16mm, which would explain that grainy appearance.
Old 10-31-04, 03:19 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I checked episodes 13 & 14 and noticed the problems, but then I checked my DVD-Rs which I used to record the show off of FOX, and it has the same problems, so i think its the episodes, not a dvd problem.

On a side note, either I've got spoiled with Joss Whedon and Paul Stupin, or Josh Schwartz needs to work on his commentaring skills.... did anyone else noticed that he couldn't help but basically describe the action on screen, and almost nothing else?
Old 10-31-04, 03:24 PM

Originally posted by critterdvd
I checked episodes 13 & 14 and noticed the problems, but then I checked my DVD-Rs which I used to record the show off of FOX, and it has the same problems, so i think its the episodes, not a dvd problem.
The 16:9 broadcasts of these episodes didn't have the same problem, but if you noticed it on your set as well, then it's definitely not a defective copy I've got. It's just a defective product from WB, and something tells me they're not gonna offer replacements.
Old 11-01-04, 09:37 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I remember in the original broadcast that any scenes set in Chino were very contrasty and grainy (to highlight how rough and poor the town was) while anything in Newport Beach was "normal" looking. Could this be it?
Old 11-01-04, 10:04 AM
Cool New Member

In response to Defiant1--

I think you hit this right on the head--look at Episode 1--the Chino scenes--and then all subsequent Chino scenes in the season.. You will notice the grainy picture to contrats the crisp, clean of Newport. This is something I noticed watching on TV, and it appears to be the same thing people are complaining of here. I believe this was intentionally shot this way by the producers.
Old 11-01-04, 02:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
I think that the picture quality on this set is not that great either. It's very soft and not sharp at all.