Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Anyone Here Listen To 'Reggeaton'

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-04, 09:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm not expecting many replies but I'm barely getting into listening to this type of music. I don't know how diverse the taste of music is on here, but I've yet to see someone talk about it. I believe Reggeaton artists are mainly Puerto Rican and their lyrics are mainly in spanish (with the exception of some english tracks). The 'hottest' reggeaton-like song out right now (in the US) is N.O.R.E feat. Daddy Yankee and Nina Sky - Oye Mi Canto. Although I'm not too fond of that song, it's somewhat what reggeaton sounds like.
Old 10-31-04, 11:20 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
actually, i am a huge fan of reggaeton and there is a a lot of variet in it--either more like rap, slow rap, more latin flavor, etc. here is a list of artists and songs i really like:
1) Don Omar (great!)--otra noche, dale don dale, pobre diabla
2) Daddy Yankee--gasolina, latigazo, afuego, gata ganster
3) Tego Calderon--he sounds a bit like a mumbling, drunk, illiterate idiot so i can only take about 2 or 3 of his songs
4) guanabana--this has what most people would recognize as "reggaeton" sound
5) Ivy Queen--papi te quiero
6) wisin y yandel--desafio, theytend to be more rap
7) big boy--mis ojos lloran por ti
8) mala fe--la vaca, el tra, culikitaca (more of a latin feel--i love to dance to el tra and culikitaca)--they do some work with falo that is good

that is a quick list--i have more if you want--just email me and let me know since i rarely wander into this forum
[email protected]
Old 05-31-07, 01:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
bumping this back up..... man has the decline of quality songs that are out there....
Old 05-31-07, 02:48 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
While I like some particular songs (especially "Oye Mi Canto" which was, as Nore said, the first song by a big hip-hop artist and he a veteran), reggaeton as a whole gives me a headache and I'd have to nominate it for the worst "new" genre in music in the past 5 years. (Actually, that "Houston sound" and the whole Chopped & Screwed crap is just as bad, thankfully it never took hold on a national level).

To dance it's fine. Dance music doesn't need to be good. But that doesn't mean I can listen to it for fun.
Old 05-31-07, 09:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Calle 13 won a bunch of awards with their album at last year's latin grammy's, that's the only regaeton album I have.
Old 06-17-07, 11:40 PM

Actually, I wouldn't really consider Calle 13 as exclusively reggaeton. They're a mixture of a lot of influences- hip hop, latin, and even a little rock (they actually use guitars on some songs). It's funny 'cause there's a lot of reggaeton artists that hate them for being predominately upper middle class kids (at least in terms of the class system in Puerto Rico) that they feel "stole" their sound, when in reality I think they're good musicians that just proved that you can do more interesting and creative things with the sounds that most artists of the genre do. And their crossover appeal has been enormous; there's a lot of people that don't listen to reggaeton that likes Calle 13, thus proving further still my point about them not being exclusively reggaeton.

Last edited by polietilen; 06-17-07 at 11:41 PM. Reason: typos
Old 06-18-07, 01:42 AM

I was a huge fan of reggaeton about a year ago but for some odd reason i dropped it like a bad habit and have not listened to it probably since february. I guess it was just a passing fad cuz I don't hear about it much anymore.
Old 06-18-07, 03:33 AM

vwbeetlvr, i really wouldn't know if it's a passing fad (unfortunately so, i think the genre is hugely overrated) but a lot of people experience the same feeling that you do. speaking as a guy that's lived all his life in Puerto Rico, i think that the appeal of reggaeton in the US is mostly because it seems exotic to a lot of non-latin americans. but in Puerto Rico, a lot of people, like me, don't like it too much at all. most of these guys are just a bunch of talentless posturing hacks that thrive on stereotypical clichés about the latin male. the sad thing again is that this stuff is very popular right now.