Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Peter Gabriel - Play DVD

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Peter Gabriel - Play DVD

Old 10-30-04, 04:56 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
Peter Gabriel - Play DVD

Amazon has this DVD coming out on 11/16 in the US. I am really looking forward to this. He's got some excellent videos and I can finally ditch my VHS of CV.

http://www.petergabriel.com/moonclub/news/

For the first time ever on DVD the video collection you've been waiting for. Featuring 23 videos, with fully restored visuals and amazing new 5.1 mixes by Peter and Daniel Lanois, and extras including three bonus videos (also with full 5.1 surround mixes). The 5.1 mixes are presented for the first time in a DTS format that is at full 24bit/96khz surround for the ultimate audiophile experience. In addition, Dolby 5.1 and Dolby Stereo soundtracks are provided for those of us without the latest and greatest equipment.

As if this wasn't enough each video has a short introduction with either "Making Of" footage and/or spoken introductions by Peter through the ages.

Also there is an advanced programming feature that allows you to create you own playlist of up to 18 tracks, play it once or set it to loop forever!

Release dates will vary per region, but check back as we will post them as soon as we have the official word.

The track list is as follows:

Father, Son
Sledgehammer
Blood Of Eden
Games Without Frontiers
I Don't Remember
Big Time
Lovetown
Red Rain
In Your Eyes
Don't Give Up
The Barry Williams Show
Washing Of The Water
Biko
Kiss That Frog
Mercy Street
Growing Up
Shaking The Tree
Shock The Monkey
Steam
The Drop
Zaar
Solsbury Hill
Digging In The Dirt

And the extras:

Games Without Frontiers (Live 2004)
Modern Love
The Nest That Sailed The Sky
Trailer for Growing Up Live
Trailer for A Family Portrait
Trailer for Secret World Live
Credits
Speaking about the release Peter said “Although I believe that music can stand more repetition than video and music together, I have always been excited at the idea of putting pictures to music’. As a big film fan, some of my favourite directors have often managed to mix music and image very powerfully. I love to collaborate with inventive, visual people to put pictures to these songs. I have also been a long time fan of surround sound, which offers a great opportunity for musicians to take advantage of the medium. I love being able to listen from inside the music, rather than observing from the outside.”
Old 10-30-04, 06:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 165 Likes on 118 Posts
I've been waiting for this too. Gabriel does some of the best videos out there, there are few artists whom I'd like to own a video collection of but his stuff's great.
Old 10-30-04, 07:47 PM

Received 798 Likes on 521 Posts
Originally posted by Sierra Disc
I've been waiting for this too. Gabriel does some of the best videos out there, there are few artists whom I'd like to own a video collection of but his stuff's great.
I've to agree with you there... and it'll go very nicely with my "Weird Al" Music Video DVD.
Old 10-30-04, 07:57 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I'll get this when my finances are better. For now, I can live with my CV and All About Us laserdiscs.
Old 11-15-04, 09:37 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
Just bumping this as a heads-up: Best Buy will have it for $11.99 this week.

Originally posted by Suprmallet
I'll get this when my finances are better. For now, I can live with my CV and All About Us laserdiscs.
I'm holding off this week, too. Once I get a job, though, I'm all over it. Or maybe I'll cave and buy it (likely).
Old 11-20-04, 06:00 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,168 Likes on 4,198 Posts
Just got this. It's friggin' great! I always felt a little sorry for Peter Gabriel; after setting the bar so high with Sledgehammer, he couldn't go back to low-key videos again. Still, there are plenty of interesting clips in this set, many I've never seen before.
The DTS 5.1 mixes are amazing. In Your Eyes especially sounds heavenly. Well worth the low price for any fence-sitters.
Old 11-21-04, 10:41 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Got mine for 12 bucks and well well worth it! Love the menus and the mixes. Classic videos on here and I was surprised by the masterwork 'The Drop'. Also, 'Zaar' was always my favorite PG video and it holds up...
Old 11-22-04, 05:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I really do like the DVD, but my Denon AVR-2105 won't decode the DTS 96/24 track correctly. It's way to silent.

Anybody else in here experiencing this?