Best Sellers
The Longest Day
Buy: $54.99 $24.99
DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : Moving a big screen upstairs...how?

Tarantino
10-30-04, 05:43 PM
I need to move my 57" big screen up a flight of stairs...what's the easiest way to accomplish this feat? I know with the home theater enthusiasts we have here that someone's had to do this before...

Help!

obscurelabel
10-30-04, 06:01 PM
Escalera Stair Climbing Handtrucks and
Stair Climbing Forklifts

www.escalera.com/moving/appliance.htm

http://www.pix8.net/pro/pic/4494IRvZy/167792.jpg

I would think that you could rent something like this.

I've used something similar to move some larger computers (back in the old days when they were, as a rule, much bigger than now) up a flight of stairs. Although I always had several people to help me, given that these were really expensive pieces of equipment and I wanted to make sure that they weren't damaged..

The one pictured may be a bit of overkill as the screen may not weigh that much.

Not knowing the dimensions of the screen, the greatest difficulty might be getting it through the stairwell or around corners.

Since I've never bought an appliance there, I don't know ... does BB do deliveries? If so, do they have any techniques or equipment that you could find out about?

Here's a link to equipment specifically recommended for big screenTVs.

http://www.escalera.com/moving/tv.htm

Nosmo Rex
10-30-04, 06:13 PM
My Toshiba actually breaks down into 2 pieces. Check to see if yours will, as well. The guys that delivered it brought it up the stairs in one piece, using one of those long straps.

costanza
10-30-04, 06:15 PM
they're not that heavy, call up a moving buddy and get it up there.

Mole177
10-30-04, 06:34 PM
call up several buddies, a TV that big must not be harmed.

Jackskeleton
10-30-04, 06:44 PM
For gods sakes man. Is there anything in this world you CAN do without asking an internet forum for directions or advice?

mikehunt
10-30-04, 06:51 PM
insured moving company

Deftones
10-30-04, 06:57 PM
Originally posted by Jackskeleton
For gods sakes man. Is there anything in this world you CAN do without asking an internet forum for directions or advice?

cutting his hair....errrr......an apartment rental deposit.....errr.......yeah, I've got nothing.

Tarantino
10-30-04, 07:08 PM
Originally posted by Jackskeleton

Hey Jack...what should I eat for dinner tonight?

:lol:

criptik28
10-30-04, 07:22 PM
rotfl

Cardiff Giant11
10-30-04, 07:38 PM
my brother and i moved his 55" TV from the house he was renting into the apartment he moved into with his girlfriend. He's a decently strong guy but I have the muscles of a nine year old. Having said that, we managed to do it without too much trouble so I'm sure two normal to strong guys could handle it no problem. Just be sure to measure and make sure the opening is large enough. Also be extra careful not to bump it as that may jostle the lenses etc which would be bad.

eXcentris
10-30-04, 07:45 PM
Rent of of those thingies in obscurelabel's post. That's what I did a couple of weeks ago to move my 260 lbs Sony Wega from my condo (3 flights of stairs down) to my mom's condo in the next building (2 flights of stairs up). There was 3 of us but the stairways are so narrow that it's almost impossible for 3 people to be in a comfortable position to get a decent grip. It was a cinch with that thing.

FinkPish
10-30-04, 07:57 PM
Just remember - Pivot! Pivot! Pivot!

The Cow
10-30-04, 07:57 PM
Buy a new TV. If you can't move it, it's time to upgrade.

Roto
10-30-04, 08:23 PM
Originally posted by The Cow
Buy a new TV. If you can't move it, it's time to upgrade.
http://www.sonystyle.com/intershoproot/eCS/Store/en/imagesProducts/250x250/VPLHS51.jpg
:drool:

Cardiff Giant11
10-31-04, 03:50 PM
Originally posted by FinkPish
Just remember - Pivot! Pivot! Pivot!
that's my favorite moving joke of all time. When I was helping my neighbor move out, I kept saying that and other people who lived on the floor (who neither of us had met yet) started cracking up and told us they had just seen that episode the night before.

NaturalMystic79
10-31-04, 03:53 PM
Start lifting weights.

twikoff
10-31-04, 04:00 PM
just be sure to lift with your back, not your legs :up:

Dansize
11-01-04, 06:47 PM
One of my college jobs was to deliver and install home electronics which was cool because home theater was an early hobby of mine.

When these things are new in a box, we would just roll them end-over-end to go up stairs. The reasoning here was that the packaging protected the finish and the TV itself was built for ocean shipping in most cases. It's not like we were dropping it on to the floor with every roll. Besides, we unboxed and verified all was working correctly when the TV got to it's home.

Still didn't stop the new owners that had just dropped thousands of dollars on a purchase to see their new baby rolling up the stairs. During my first day in one shop, we delivered a 300lb 60 inch Proscan set (had a really heavy wood frame around the screen) to a guy in the Hollywood Hills. This was one of those places where you parked on a one-way street and looked up the hillside to the house that was at the top of 50 stairs running from the street level garage to the home. Me and the company veteran get out of the truck and the guy says, "where's the 3rd guy and the refrigerator dolly? I told the salesman I would need 3 guys and a dolly!"

20 minutes later (with the owner's help) we had the set up the hill and installed (with a $20 tip). He was ticked at first, but then impressed. There are some sets that are too big for any dolly made.

As for your situation, just be careful and remember that they are easy to flip over if someone isn't carrying their share of the load.

MJKTool
11-01-04, 06:56 PM
Originally posted by twikoff
just be sure to lift with your back, not your legs :up:

Very sound advise. :up:

eXcentris
11-01-04, 07:00 PM
My Sony Wega was delivered to me using the "rolling end over end" method. I had to call the Sony service tech because the image was severely tilted....

Tommy Ceez
11-01-04, 07:32 PM
Dont use a hand truck! I used to deliver refrigerators to 4th story walk ups with a simple dolly with two straps attached.

Roto
11-01-04, 07:34 PM
So is the tv stuck halfway up the stairs now? It's been 2 days and no sign of Tarantino.

bfrank
11-01-04, 07:45 PM
Originally posted by Dansize

When these things are new in a box, we would just roll them end-over-end to go up stairs. The reasoning here was that the packaging protected the finish and the TV itself was built for ocean shipping in most cases. It's not like we were dropping it on to the floor with every roll. Besides, we unboxed and verified all was working correctly when the TV got to it's home.

-eek-

I work in a RPTV factory and have designed the packing for TV's - you could not be more wrong!!!!!

Ever take time to look at the little arrows on the box :lol:

Also ocean shipping is done in steel containers and RPTV's are to expensive to ship overseas so they are all made here or in Mexico.

DONT- I REPEAT DONT DO THIS!!!!

Roto
11-01-04, 07:55 PM
thinking of the look on bfrank's face as he watches someone roll a big screen tv box end over end.
rotfl

eXcentris
11-01-04, 08:03 PM
Originally posted by Roto
thinking of the look on bfrank's face as he watches someone roll a big screen tv box end over end.
rotfl

You should have seen the look on my face when they delivered my Wega. The box was friggin huge and they coudn't maneuver. I told them to take the damn thing out of the box and carry it up. But nooooo, can't do that in case they drop it. Morans! :mad:

MJKTool
11-01-04, 08:04 PM
Originally posted by eXcentris
You should have seen the look on my face when they delivered my Wega. The box was friggin huge and they coudn't maneuver. I told them to take the damn thing out of the box and carry it up. But nooooo, can't do that in case they drop it. Morans! :mad:

Was it the 36 inch Wega?

You could fit a family of 3 in the box my 36 inch HD Wega came in.

Roto
11-01-04, 08:16 PM
:lol: this is why I switched to a digital projector. You have to use it in a dark room, but the picture is 4 times as big as my 50 inch RPTV was and I can pick it up with one hand. I'm not moving any more big screen CRTs! I may not have the best HD picture available, but it's good enough while I wait.

eXcentris
11-01-04, 09:06 PM
Originally posted by MJKTool
Was it the 36 inch Wega?

You could fit a family of 3 in the box my 36 inch HD Wega came in.

Yup, that's the one. Gave it to my mom so had to move it to her place. But I didn't bloody roll it down the stairs, I rented one of those moving dolly thingies. :)

The box for my new Panasonic 50" DLP was just as big although not as wide, and it only weighs 80 pounds so the guys who delivered it had no problem bringing it up. But you can be damn sure I told them NOT to roll the darn thing end over end up the steps when they got here. :)

Tarantino
11-02-04, 12:58 AM
Originally posted by Roto
So is the tv stuck halfway up the stairs now? It's been 2 days and no sign of Tarantino.

I'm moving it on Friday.