Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

TV Shows you would have never discover if it wasn't for DVDs

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-04, 06:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TV Shows you would have never discover if it wasn't for DVDs

I thought we should take this thread and discuss shows you never saw before or saw it but didn't have the chance to view it for other reasons. There are now a ton of shows I have in my collection that I am grateful to own and now because of DVD. I can watch all of them from the beginng

24 - Tried to watch it on TV when FX was airring reruns but I just could not get into the show. So I rented the first 2 discs through Netflix and before you know it.. I bought Season 1 and shortly after I finished Season 1 I bought Season 2 and I am waiting to see Season 3 when it comes out.

Alias - I always saw promos advertising this on TV but It seemed that I would never be able to get into it because I was so behind, so I rented disc 1 and 2 of season 1 through Netflix and before you knew it I bought season 1 and once I saw that I bought season 2. I just bought season 3 today. So I am hoping to watch some of it tonight.

Angel - I started watching Angel in Season 4 when Angel became evil again and that is what hooked me. I started collecting all the sets and now I have up to the 4th season. R.I.P Angel

Cheers - I rented disc 1 from Netflix and was suprised what good of a show this was. I was born when season 1 started to come out so there was no way for me to watch it then. But through DVD I have caught up. I have Season 1 and 2. I have seen season 1 but haven't started season 2 just yet.

Dark Angel - Rented Disc 1 of season 1 and although the eps are sometimes hard to understand. I still enjoyed the series. I have both seasons and have watched all of them. R.I.P Dark Angel

and here are some other shows I bought that I never saw and found interesting
Dead Like Me - Season 1
The Dead Zone - Season 1
The Dead Zone - Season 2
Freaks and Geeks
and Three's Company - Season 1 and 2
R.I.P John Ritter
Old 10-29-04, 06:57 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Curb Your Enthusiasm, since I don't have HBO.
Old 10-29-04, 07:00 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

I'm a prime example of the success of Family Guy. Never watched the show on FOX. But heard all the buzz about it on DVD and got hooked. Looking forward to new episodes this Spring.
Old 10-29-04, 07:01 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Most of them. I don't watch TV, but I buy TV on DVD. I have about 80 TV boxsets. Outside of the Simpsons, Futurama, Malcolm in the Middle, and King of the Hill, i don't think I'd ever seen any of them on TV.
Old 10-29-04, 07:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Babylon 5, Curb Your Enthusiasm, Farscape, and The Office for me so far.
Old 10-29-04, 07:14 PM
Video Gamer Reviewers

The X-Files
The West Wing
Alias
Homicide: Life on the Street
Old 10-29-04, 07:20 PM

Friends
Curb Your Enthusiasm
Family Guy
Old 10-29-04, 07:22 PM

Basically anything on cable.
Old 10-29-04, 07:53 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Alias
Nip / Tuck
Firefly
Friends
Dark Angel
Felicity
Old 10-29-04, 08:03 PM

X-Files, Band of Brothers and 24 Never wanted to watch them on regular TV but got them on DVD
Old 10-29-04, 08:26 PM

FIREFLY !!!
Old 10-29-04, 08:39 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
24 - A friend kept going on and on about it and I never listened. One of those, it can't be that good kind of thoughts going through my mind. But through a coupon deal I got it for around $20 before season 2 aired. Needless to say I was hooked. Watching the broadcast isn't the same.

Stargate: SG-1 - I watched around the first 12 episodes on Showtime way back when the first season, but got rid of showtime and didn't get to get into them again until DVDs were released.

Millenium: Just got it through the $15 amazon sale, only watched a couple, but I like it so far.

Sports Night - Genius show that should have never been cancelled. I caught one here and there, due to them always changing nights but I never got into it. What a shame, it is brilliant.

Curb Your Enthusiasm - Like SG1 watched a few when it first came on and I had HBO, soon after I dumped HBO and didn't get into the show again until the DVD release.

I've slowed my movie purchasing, but I can't get enough TV on DVD!
Old 10-29-04, 08:40 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Firefly.
Old 10-29-04, 08:51 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Believe it or not -- The Sopranos!

Heard of it, but didn't have HBO to check it out. In the mail I revieved a BlockBuster coupon and decided to give it a try. I now have all the DVDs.
Old 10-29-04, 08:53 PM

British shows...

The Prisoner and Spaced are both great.
Old 10-29-04, 08:57 PM

Dead Like Me.
Old 10-29-04, 09:37 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Bottom

and a bunch of classic tv shows:

The Adventures of Ozzie and Harriet
Make Room For Daddy
Topper
Sergeant Preston of the Yukon
The Lucy Show
Sid Caesar
Red Skelton
and others
Old 10-29-04, 09:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Sopranos, Sex & the City, Band of Brothers, Nip & Tuck. No HBO.
Old 10-29-04, 10:12 PM
Banned

Well, most of the series I have, I have watched a lot of, or some of, but some very little if any. In fact, I'd say most of the latter. I really don't watch regular TV series on a weekly basis. So DVD is the perfect medium to finally get to see these series.

I watched a lot of ST:TNG when it first aired, but missed a fair portion of the episodes, so getting the entire series on DVD was a joy.

I tried getting into STS9 when it aired, but lost track of it after the first season. Believe it or not, it got too religious for me back then in 1994. But those were my young and dumb liberal days. Got the entire series on DVD.

Never watched any ST:VOY when first aired, but caught a few eps in syndication, and I currently own the first 3 seasons, and will shop for the 4th on eBay next month.

Never watched Babylon 5 when it aired. Thought it was stupid, and hard to follow if you tried to catch a random episode. I like Sci-Fi, so I bought the entire series on DVD including the Movie Collection. Not yet sure on Crusade coming out shortly, probably will but not until next year.

Stargate SG-1....knew about it airing, tried to watch it some, but was confused with the whole 'snake head' Goa'uld motiff, when compared to the Horus and Anubis masks used in the feature film. Lost track of it untill basically the DVDs. Then started watching it in syndication on Showtime and Fox. Been trying to keep up with the last two seasons. Own all 7 seasons currently out.

Hercules and Xena. Never watched it faithfully, but the few episodes that I caught I always thought the productiin values were halfway decent and story lines interesting in the more serious shows. Got up to the four seasons of both shows. Although S4 of Herc was released back in June, I still haven't had time to watch it.

Highlander. Caught a few episodes while airing, liked the premise and the sword fighting. Bought the series on DVD. Got all 5 current releases.

Beastmaster. Never watched it, but caught parts of it flipping through channels. Thought it was cheesey, but the effects were pretty good. And since I am tending to like Herc and Xena, I decided to buy the entire series for just $24 a piece for all 3 seasons after I got a 10% discount from a DDD screw-up.

Andromeda. Caught a few episodes from each season, and it being sci-fi, I've been buying the DVDs. Yes, I know, it ain't the greatest show, but it's still cool in some ways if not for the space battle scenes. Got the first 3 seasons.

Now then, I'd like to get Farscape, SACD's Lost World, Alias, 24, Dark Angel, V, and the new Battlestar Galactica series when it comes out. Oh, I also have the original BSG series.
Old 10-29-04, 10:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 243 Likes on 178 Posts
Alias
Old 10-30-04, 12:10 AM

Mr. Show - This was recommended by a friend, and i was already a HUGE fan of David Cross, not only from his funny performence in Scary Movie 2, but his stand up as well. Bought the first 3 seasons all at once (a huge blind buy at $80) and absolutely fell into histarics.

Invader Zim - Again just heard a huge internet buzz about these being released. So bought them and couldnt have been more surprised, the bizarre story lines, crazy characters, and all the other funny business.
Old 10-30-04, 01:58 AM

Family Guy and 24. I don't watch 24 on regular TV and just wait for the season set on dvd.
Old 10-30-04, 02:54 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Buffy The Vampire Slayer - i tried to watch it every now and then on TV but couldnt get into it, i bought season 1 DVD set and was hooked.

The Prisoner - heard it was a cool show, never saw it, bought the set and love it.

Dead Like Me - i dont have showtime, got one of the discs from netflix and again was hooked, brilliant show.
Old 10-30-04, 03:00 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Family Guy
Futurama
DArk Angel
Buffy
Angel
Freaks and Geeks(my best discovery so far)
Alias
Sopranos
Six Feet Under
The Wire

i think there might be a few i'm forgetting, but those are the main ones
Old 10-30-04, 03:22 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I've just started looking around the TV on DVD genre so I'm sure there will be more as time passes.....

Firefly
The Black Adder
Buffy

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.