Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

POLAR EXPRESS First IMAX 3-D feature

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 10-29-04, 04:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

THE POLAR EXPRESS is the first ever full length feature film to be released in IMAX 3-D. Too bad only about 75 theatres nationwide are so equipped, though lots more are in the works.

Of course the film also opens in flat 2-D form in thousands of theaters, but it's cool that the 3-D version is opening on the same day so those who live near an IMAX venue don't have to wait or (shudder) see it flat.

It's worth pointing out we are talking polarized (clear glasses) giant screen 3-D here, and not the inferior red/blue anaglyph method used in the release of SPY KIDS.

If this dual 2-D/3-D release is a success, I bet more CGI family films will get rendered in stereoscopic form too.
Old 10-29-04, 05:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 723 Likes on 528 Posts
Well, truth be told... Marvin the Martian in the 3rd Dimension was great, too. It just wasn't shown in theaters. It was showcased at the Warner Bros store in NY for a while and made it's way as a theme park attraction in Australia @ Warner Bros. Movie World. I would love to have seen in on an IMAX screen.

Last edited by devilshalo; 10-29-04 at 05:04 PM.
Old 10-29-04, 05:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

But wasn't the Marvin the Martian thing just a short cartoon? The one shown at the Warner Bros store in NYC?

POLAR EXPRESS is a 96 minute feature length film.

All previous IMAX 3-D movies have been 30-40 minute documentaries such as NASCAR 3-D, etc.
Old 11-08-04, 05:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Word is Hollywood is going to pay special attention to the business this does in IMAX 3-D.

If you want to see some more real 3-D features from Hollywood, seek out one of the theatres playing this film in stereoscopic form.
Old 11-08-04, 06:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,299 Likes on 943 Posts
My local IMAX theater doesn't show cool stuff like this... gotta head up to L.A.
Old 11-09-04, 01:23 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
crud, looks like a day trip up to King Of Prussia, PA.
Old 11-09-04, 05:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Hey, if anyone is going to see this in 3D, please provide a review. I'm pumped to see this movie in 2D, but if it's worth it, I will make the jaunt out to Seattle to see it in IMAX 3D
Old 11-10-04, 10:41 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Almost every review so far had said to see the 3-D version if you can.....even Roger Ebert said it was the best 3-D experience he's had, and he usually raves on and on about how lame the process is.
Old 11-10-04, 11:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Anyone in NYC planning to see this at the Broadway & 68th Loews Imax - verify show times during the day, as some of the scheduled performances have been bought out by school groups and are not available for the public.

This is the voice of experience speaking.
Old 11-11-04, 12:54 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

My GF wanted to watch this, and the main reason I agreed was because I wanted to see the 3D presentation. The movie was okay... nothing special. I haven't seen any other full length feature films in 3D, so the only thing I have to compare this with is Captain EO and Honey, I Shrunk the Audience from Disneyland. To me, the 3D quality of Polar Express was pretty much like the Disneyland shows. Some of the 3D is pretty good, while other times you can definitely see the 3D "shadowing" (I'm not sure exactly what that's called). I'm actually wondering if the film is changed at all from the non-3D presentation, because there are definitely some scenes where you can tell it was intended for 3D, like little things that fly towards the screen that would seem out of place in 2D.

Overall, it was pretty cool. It was worth it to me to watch this in 3D, as I think this movie is only worth a DVD watch if it were seen only in 2D.
Old 11-11-04, 03:22 AM
Banned

I'm probably gonna try after 2 weeks. I might be able to see the Incredibles in peace though.
Old 11-11-04, 08:45 AM

Any word as to weather a trailer for Charlie and the Chocolate Factory is before Polar Express?
Old 11-11-04, 09:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
Wow - Looks like I'm going to have to look around for a -D showing.....