Best Sellers
The Longest Day
Buy: $54.99 $24.99
DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : Who Do Pro Athletes Support?

Myster X
10-29-04, 02:49 PM
http://pastorsteve.blogdrive.com/

Whom Do Pro Athletes Support?

Donations to political candidates by pro athletes

Here's a look at donations made to presidential candidates in 2003 and '04 by athletes and head coaches in the NFL, NBA, WNBA, NHL and Major League Baseball, as well as the top 50 in NASCAR, the IRL, and the LPGA and PGA tours (both regular and senior). Out of that total pool of roughly 4,300, the Federal Election Commission database revealed none who donated to John Kerry (although a perfect search is nearly impossible because of the many ways a player could abbreviate his name or employer). The maximum donation by law is $2,000 per election, with the primary and general elections counting separately.

For George W. Bush

NFL Peyton Manning, QB, Colts, $2,000

Scott Gragg, OT, San Francisco, $4,000

Phil Dawson, K, Cleveland, $500

Matt Stinchcomb, G, Tampa Bay, $250

Tommy Maddox, QB, Pittsburgh, $1,000

Mark Brunell, QB, Washington, $2,000

Butch Davis, head coach, Cleveland, $2,000

Bobby Taylor, CB, Seattle, $2,000

Dom Capers, head coach, Houston, $200

John Lynch, S, Denver, $1,000

Major League Baseball Rafael Palmeiro, 1B, Baltimore, $4,000

Buck Showalter, manager, Texas, $2,000

Cal Eldred, P, St. Louis, $2,000

Lou Piniella, manager, Tampa Bay, $2,000

NBA

Greg Ostertag, C, Sacramento, $2,000

Karl Malone, F, status uncertain for this season, $2,000

PGA Hugh Baiocchi, $2,000

Davis Love III, $2,000

Tom Kite, $2,000

Bruce Lietzke, $2,000

NASCAR Dale Jarrett, driver, $2,000

NHL Curtis Joseph, goalie, Detroit, $500

Bill Guerin, right wing, Dallas, $3,000

For John Kerry :lol:
None found

Ranger
10-29-04, 03:02 PM
Bill Guerin, right wing, Dallas, $3,000

Nah, too easy. :D

Pharoh
10-29-04, 03:07 PM
I am fairly certain that the Cleveland Browns organisation is the most Republican leaning organisation in all of Professional sports, or at least among the top. No surprise then that Coach Davis donated to the Bush campaign. (He actually did quite some time ago.)

DaveNinja
10-29-04, 03:15 PM
Yeah, Ostertag you finally did something!

IMRICKJAMES
10-29-04, 03:42 PM
hmmmm liberals attract hollywood, republicans attract pro athletes...Im going with the Republicans

kvrdave
10-29-04, 03:55 PM
Originally posted by DaveNinja
Yeah, Ostertag you finally did something!

:lol:

raven56706
10-29-04, 03:56 PM
Boston Red Sox are for Kerry

DaveNinja
10-29-04, 03:57 PM
except Schilling. and he the best one, besides Manny Ortez and that freaky Nelson De La Rosa

Venusian
10-29-04, 03:58 PM
does it matter?

RoyalTea
10-29-04, 04:13 PM
only one NASCAR driver gave money to Bush?

chrisih8u
10-29-04, 04:34 PM
Who on the Red Sox has come out to support Kerry?

Ive only heard of the owners supporting Kerry, but I havent heard of any players.

Michael T Hudson
10-29-04, 06:12 PM
Originally posted by raven56706
Boston Red Sox are for Kerry

Not a certain pitcher I know with bloody socks.

kvrdave
10-29-04, 06:14 PM
Originally posted by chrisih8u

Ive only heard of the owners supporting Kerry, but I havent heard of any players.

If I owned them, I would too. If he loses, I think you would want him thinking you were on his side, and if he wins it couldn't hurt you either. Bush probably expects that from them as well being from his state.

bhk
10-29-04, 06:15 PM
Not a certain pitcher I know with bloody socks.

...who called off an appearance with Bush in NH stating he wasn't cleared medically(though he was cleared to pitch). I suspect the owners who are big Kerry donors told the employee to cancel.

wmansir
10-29-04, 06:20 PM
Schilling said on Good Morning America to be sure to vote, and vote for Bush.

Yesterday it was also reported that he agreed to attend a rally with the president in NH this weekend, but today he said that he had to back out because his doctors haven't OKed him to travel. A poster on a Boston msg board claiming to be Schilling (and he is known to post online) said he still supports Bush, but should have kept his opinion to himself.

Obviously he can travel (besides all the team travel, he went to Disney land after the WS). So, why the change of heart? Local talk radio host Howie Carr thinks it has to do with the Sox trying get approval for an expansion of Fenway in Boston.

bhk
10-29-04, 06:50 PM
Local talk radio host Howie Carr thinks it has to do with the Sox trying get approval for an expansion of Fenway in Boston.

Not to mention that the owners are big Kerry donors/supporters.

Red Dog
10-29-04, 06:59 PM
2 words: who cares?

Michael T Hudson
10-29-04, 07:14 PM
Originally posted by Red Dog
2 words: who cares?

Agreed ad Singers and Actors to the list as well and Talk show hosts.

Chew
10-29-04, 08:59 PM
Insider information from Packerland: Ryan Longwell (kicker for the Pack) stated he and Bryan Barker (punter) are both backing Bush. Aware of the Redskins relation to Bush's reelection, Longwell said that since both he and Barker have huge sway over how the game goes: you should expect a Bush victory on Tuesday.

"Wink, wink." :lol:

tasha99
10-29-04, 09:23 PM
But where do the synchronized swimmers stand on this? -smile-

Mad Dawg
10-29-04, 10:07 PM
If you find yourself with a lot of free time, www.fundrace.org has a name search. A-Rod, btw, supports Bush.

All Hail President Kerry!!

IMRICKJAMES
10-29-04, 11:17 PM
Originally posted by RoyalTea
only one NASCAR driver gave money to Bush?

Its not a complete list. Many more athletes gave money than what that list shows

Tommy Ceez
10-30-04, 09:46 AM
Carlos Beltran has signed a letter endorsing George Bush.

And I have to believe Julio Franco is activly supporting Bush, since George, Laura, Jenna, and Barbera attended Julio's wedding.

BTW, I dont know about the Browns, but the Yankee orginization takes thier cues from a rabid republican...Georgie

hahn
10-30-04, 10:07 AM
Hollywood figures mostly support Kerry, but they should shutup? But now it suddenly matters which public figure voices their opinion when sports figures support Bush? :lol:

On that note, at least a few of you have the balls to stay consistent about not giving two shits about who says they support whom.

Pharoh
10-30-04, 10:48 AM
Originally posted by hahn
Hollywood figures mostly support Kerry, but they should shutup? But now it suddenly matters which public figure voices their opinion when sports figures support Bush? :lol:

On that note, at least a few of you have the balls to stay consistent about not giving two shits about who says they support whom.

:hscratch:

Somebody here said it matters? I must have missed that post.

Myster X
10-30-04, 11:46 AM
So did I.

hahn
10-30-04, 11:48 AM
Originally posted by Pharoh
:hscratch:

Somebody here said it matters? I must have missed that post.

The lack of objection compared to the Emimem, U2, Sean Penn, Alec Baldwin, Dixie Chick posts, would imply, at least to me, tacit approval.

Just pointing out a double standard. When the support of pro-athletes is made public and it favors Bush, suddenly the protests die down significantly. You don't think this is hypocritical?

You don't notice anyone here saying athletes should shutup, or whining about how much money they're donating, or suggest that they move to another country, do you? Anyone saying they're gonna get rid of their Schilling, A-Rod, or Ostertag (:lol: ) trading cards or stop going to their games?

Pharoh
10-30-04, 12:06 PM
The lack of objection compared to the Emimem, U2, Sean Penn, Alec Baldwin, Dixie Chick posts, would imply, at least to me, tacit approval.

Just pointing out a double standard. When the support of pro-athletes is made public and it favors Bush, suddenly the protests die down significantly. You don't think this is hypocritical?

You don't notice anyone here saying athletes should shutup, or whining about how much money they're donating, or suggest that they move to another country, do you? Anyone saying they're gonna get rid of their Schilling, A-Rod, or Ostertag (:lol: ) trading cards or stop going to their games?

Considering I don't normally participate, (if ever?), in those threads, I can't really say if there is any hypocritical behavior or not. I don't care either way.

I can say that I don't see exactly similar situations though, and I'll make this pledge: The first time an athlete inappropriately uses their position as an athlete to make political statements, without retracting and apologizing, I will tell them to shut up, and will call them on the stupidity of their statements. How is that?

Tommy Ceez
10-30-04, 12:10 PM
You don't notice anyone here saying athletes should shutup, or whining about how much money they're donating, or suggest that they move to another country, do you? Anyone saying they're gonna get rid of their Schilling, A-Rod, or Ostertag ( ) trading cards or stop going to their games?

With the exception of Schilling (who made a statement, then said he should have been apolitical, which of these athletes SAID anything? Or are you suggesting that anyone here has said that actors cannot donate to campaigns?

Myster X
10-30-04, 12:54 PM
It's only OK when George Soros donated millions to Kerry.

harpo787
10-30-04, 11:17 PM
I heard this on Keith Olberman's (sp?) show...thought it was pretty damn amusing...didn't want to start a new thread on it because I THINK someone on page one possibly referenced this idea.

The way you'll know who wins the election is based upon one football game. Redskins v. Packers...if Redskins lose, Bush does too. If they win, Bush will too. Here's why this is:

Urban legend? I think NOT! (http://www.snopes.com/sports/football/election.asp)

As you see at the link, this goes back as far as 1936!!!

It'll be fun to see if this little streak continues.

Third Baseman
10-30-04, 11:25 PM
Not sure if he has donated anything, but Adam Dunn is for Bush. Which makes me proud. :)

http://www.newsmax.com/archives/ic/2004/10/21/91510.shtml

DeputyDave
10-30-04, 11:41 PM

You don't notice anyone here saying athletes should shutup, or whining about how much money they're donating, or suggest that they move to another country, do you? Anyone saying they're gonna get rid of their Schilling, A-Rod, or Ostertag (:lol: ) trading cards or stop going to their games? I, for one, have NEVER said celebrities shouldn't donate to any party. I only think they are asshats when they make uninformed, idiotic statements in public. I have never heard a pro athlete do that.
I have personally never heard an athlete make any public statement one way or the other. I have personally heard at least a dozen asshat celebrities do so.
The moment a celebrity does it too; I will give him an asshat crown.

raven56706
10-31-04, 04:35 AM
Bill Buckner is for Bush.......

Ricky Williams is for Bush...Just not sure if the reporters understood which Bush he was talking about....

bhk
10-31-04, 08:06 AM
Open Letter Signed By 24 Olympians And Professional Athletes Supporting President Bush

To Our Fellow Americans:

We have given much thought to the values and characteristics that make a great athlete. Our lives have been spent trying to run farther, push further, and jump higher than the person beside us, or across the field of our chosen sport. With years of training and exhaustive competition beneath our belts, we have identified the values necessary to compete and win--values like personal strength, determination, a sense of fair play and faith.

The same qualities that make a great athlete make a great President--the determination to do what is right, regardless of the latest polls, the personal strength to bear the weight of the nation on your shoulders, and the faith that a higher power will direct the actions of good people.

We see in President Bush these same qualities.

In 2001, our nation was attacked without cause or provocation. The President's values saw us through those dark days after the terrorist attack. The economy was rocked by the dual blows of the terrorists' cowardly action and the reckless disregard of the rules by a few rogue executives.

But President Bush's decisive, principled leadership has moved America forward, and today our nation is safer and our economy is strong and getting stronger.

The fight against terrorism takes decisiveness. It takes continued support for our troops and first responders. But most importantly, it takes courage and inspirational leadership in the White House. In these critical times, our President has had the courage to stand up and do what's right.

For that and for his unwavering character, we choose George W. Bush as our President for the next four years. He is a leader we can depend on to make the tough decisions and the right decisions. Please join us in supporting a candidate of courage, President Bush--a leader who backs our troops defending our nation and shares our values.

Sincerely,

http://www.georgewbush.com/images/NewsItems/AthletesforBush-24small.jpg

hahn
10-31-04, 08:42 AM
Thanks bhk. :)

Pharoh, Tommy Ceez, and DeputyDave: well, what do you have to say about this "open letter"?

Myster X
10-31-04, 12:25 PM
Let me see here........

Atheletes signing a letter supporting Bush is in the same level of celebrities opening their yapper denouncing Bush. How many professional atheletes open their mouth denouncing Kerry so far?

nice spin though... :lol:

emanon
10-31-04, 02:53 PM
Looks like the Packers are supporting Kerry today.

hahn
10-31-04, 04:11 PM
Originally posted by emanon

And I support their right to make their support public.

Tommy Ceez
10-31-04, 06:52 PM
Thanks bhk. :)

Pharoh, Tommy Ceez, and DeputyDave: well, what do you have to say about this "open letter"?

Umm...I could sign an open letter too...what I cant do is use my star power to make political statements on the runway of a film premier to 1000 reporters and then run away before anyone questions me. Did any of these athletes use a post game press conference or a Sports Illustrated article to denounce Kerry?......

...I dont care what you believe, just dont throw out all common sence and logic in order to make a retarted point...please!

nemein
10-31-04, 06:56 PM
Originally posted by emanon

-ohbfrank- Just more spin... the truth is the Skins don't support Bush, there is a difference ;)

-ptth-

nemein
10-31-04, 06:58 PM
what I cant do is use my star power to make political statements on the runway of a film premier to 1000 reporters and then run away before anyone questions me.

:hscratch: Don't celebs do this all the time... Seems like every time we turn around one of them is making some sort of comment or another.

waveform
10-31-04, 07:00 PM
So, if I understand the gist of this, the Bush campaign is full of athletic supporters.

Tommy Ceez
10-31-04, 07:02 PM
Originally posted by nemein
:hscratch: Don't celebs do this all the time... Seems like every time we turn around one of them is making some sort of comment or another.

The answer is yes...that was my point

emanon
10-31-04, 07:05 PM
Originally posted by waveform
So, if I understand the gist of this, the Bush campaign is full of athletic supporters.

Yup - strapping young men, if you will.

hahn
11-01-04, 12:22 AM
Originally posted by Tommy Ceez
Umm...I could sign an open letter too...what I cant do is use my star power to make political statements on the runway of a film premier to 1000 reporters and then run away before anyone questions me. Did any of these athletes use a post game press conference or a Sports Illustrated article to denounce Kerry?......

I don't recall anyone doing what you just claimed. And if what celebrities are saying is so uninformed - why worry? - they should be pretty transparent. And what proof do you have that the celebrities who speak out about politics are less informed than some politicians themselves?

Also, please point out where in the sections of the Constitution about free speech that it limits one to making open letters, but NOT speaking on a "runway". You are creating moral standards (*this* can be done and is acceptable, but not *that*) based on what suits your party agenda, not on a widely accepted ideal - the freedom of speech. If you apply it to one group, you must apply it to all.

...I dont care what you believe, just dont throw out all common sence and logic in order to make a retarted point...please!

You can call my point retarded if you wish, but I don't think I'm the one who has thrown out common sense. You are the one who's creating a double standard. Unless, you can point out how freedom of speech, as given to us by the Constitution, specifically differentiates between the celebrities signing an open letter and celebrities speaking out. So far, what you've put out there is an argument that is YOUR interpretation of freedom of speech and how it should be used in what you consider a responsible manner. But what you consider responsible is a matter of opinion, not fact.

Let me boil down what I believe to be the core of your argument (correct me if I am wrong). You are saying that as long as it's a letter, it's okay. But if any of those athletes were to stand up and read that letter out loud in some public forum, that would NOT be okay. If this is correct, WHERE do you get the basis for your argument? By which Constitutional principle?

Chew
11-01-04, 07:59 AM
Actually, my mom recieved a recorded message from Brett Favre supporting Bush. Reference was made to today's win vs the Redskins. I would imagine this is playing all over Wisconsin.
Link (http://powerlineblog.com/archives/008413.php)

hahn
11-01-04, 10:04 AM
Originally posted by Chew
Link (http://powerlineblog.com/archives/008413.php)

Right, thanks. So where do recorded messages fall in your rules of freedom of speech? Acceptable, or not?

Chew
11-01-04, 10:35 AM
Right, thanks. So where do recorded messages fall in your rules of freedom of speech? Acceptable, or not?

If you're directing that comment at me, I have no rules. I don't care to hear anybody telling me who to vote for: rocker, movie-makers, athletes, etc. I post Packer news 'cause it's intensely more interesting to me than either of the candidates. :)

hahn
11-01-04, 08:45 PM
Originally posted by Chew
If you're directing that comment at me, I have no rules. I don't care to hear anybody telling me who to vote for: rocker, movie-makers, athletes, etc. I post Packer news 'cause it's intensely more interesting to me than either of the candidates. :)

No, sorry...wasn't directed at you. Just used your comment as an example for my debate with Tommy Ceez.

Turd Ferguson
11-04-04, 07:07 PM
http://cache.boston.com/images/bostondirtdogs//Headline_Archives/New_SICover_110804_RedSoxb.jpg