Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Eminem's "Mosh"

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-04, 04:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Eminem's "Mosh"

Interesting article:
http://www.thenation.com/doc.mhtml?i...s=grahamfelsen

... "Mosh could well be one of the most overtly political pop music videos ever produced, and is easily the most direct anti-Bush cultural statement since Michael Moore's Fahrenheit 9/11. Although the video debuted just a week before the election, it could have an unprecedented cultural and political impact, coming from the top-grossing rap star in America, and one of the seminal pop icons of the last decade."

Broadband
http://www.archive.org/download/Mosh2/GNN_Mosh_bb2.mov
link to gnn's article on the video:
http://www.gnn.tv/content/eminem_mosh.html

unsure whether this should be in Music, or Political forum, move if necessary-

Last edited by eisenreich; 10-27-04 at 04:59 PM.
Old 10-27-04, 04:57 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

There was a thread in the Election forum about this. But the link in that thread is dead anyway

I thought the video was pretty cool. It was a cartoon just like the White America video was. But I thought the song sucked ass, just like his other song that came too. I'm hoping this isn't a indicator of how good "Encore" is going to be....
Old 10-27-04, 05:10 PM

I like the video and the song, very cool video.
Old 10-28-04, 07:27 AM

Thought the video was cool, thought the song was pretty boring.
I was wondering when it was going to end, seemed like it was verse after verse, with the same loop throughout the whole song with no change..he could of been a bit more innovative with this.
Old 10-28-04, 09:24 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Eminem is over. I predict that this is his last album and it will get bad reviews but probably still sell relatively well. Either way, I see him retiring soon if he has half-a-brain.
Old 10-28-04, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It's by no means "the most direct anti-bush cultural statement since...Fareheit 9/11." Many hip hop artists (Immortal Technique, Jadakiss' line in Why...) have been bashing Bush for a long time now...hell, Eminem himself has been making anti-bush statements since his last album.
Old 10-28-04, 03:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I liked the video quite a bit. I was really indifferent for the song, but I like it simply because I still think Eminem is amazing. I for one think Encore is going to kick ass.
Old 10-28-04, 10:09 PM

Has anyone seen the Chronic Future video for Time and Time Again?

And can someone explain to me why they have some of the EXACT same animation?

Same director?

www.chronicfuture.com go to media, you can see the video and be baffled like I was.

edit: Yes, it seems to be from the same director. Still interesting though.

Last edited by henryfish; 10-28-04 at 10:12 PM.
Old 10-29-04, 01:14 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by kurupt
It's by no means "the most direct anti-bush cultural statement since...Fareheit 9/11." Many hip hop artists (Immortal Technique, Jadakiss' line in Why...) have been bashing Bush for a long time now...
No kidding, Immortal Technique makes Michael Moore sound like Rush limbaugh.
Old 10-29-04, 01:50 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Eminem's "Mosh"

... "Mosh could well be one of the most overtly political pop music videos ever produced, and is easily the most direct anti-Bush cultural statement since Michael Moore's Fahrenheit 9/11.

He wishes. Eminem is obviously just going through the motions these days, this song blows. The video is decent but credit the director for that. Repeating refrains and sampling your past album for the first two singles doesn't bode well for Encore.
Old 10-29-04, 10:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 233 Likes on 166 Posts
Well, I loved Just Lose It and I love this one. So far it's awesome for me.

And the word Encore means a repeat performance.... so it makes sense to bring in bits and pieces of past performances.
Old 10-29-04, 11:51 AM

no it means an additional performance...
though it seems that he has taken your definition.
these new songs so far are just lazy and thoughtless, the music itself is worse and the lyrics are even cheesier.
he was showing promise, but these 2 new songs just show taking steps backwards, hopefully his album isn't so horrible.

Last edited by TripWire; 10-29-04 at 11:55 AM.
Old 10-31-04, 01:17 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

worst eminem song and video ever. the song drones on the video doesn't live up to his better videos. he's close to being over. In the past it was Eminem and then him trying to be controversial or toilet humorous as a side...now its like Eminem is just trying to be as controversial and ratchet up the toilet humor, without the substance to back it up
Old 10-31-04, 04:05 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Thrush
No kidding, Immortal Technique makes Michael Moore sound like Rush limbaugh.
Probably the most intimidating concert experience of my life. Tech definitely believes in his message.
Old 10-31-04, 08:21 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I liked the video (I'm a whore for animated music vids) but thought the song was meh. Bush isn't my guy so I don't care that he's getting the business, it just seems like "trendy" (read: pretty much anything not country. no hating) entertainers are jumping on the anti-bush andwagon because its the cool thing to do now.
Old 10-31-04, 09:04 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by henryfish
Has anyone seen the Chronic Future video for Time and Time Again?

And can someone explain to me why they have some of the EXACT same animation?

Same director?

www.chronicfuture.com go to media, you can see the video and be baffled like I was.

edit: Yes, it seems to be from the same director. Still interesting though.

on gnn.tv they have the director talking about Em's video and he also (or someone from Guerilla News Network) directed the Chronic Future video.

hope this helps. check out the website. gnn.tv
Old 11-03-04, 07:48 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

finally got around to watching the video.. agree with others.. good song, good video, but the chorus is kind of long... quick question about eminem and voting.. hasn;t he been convicted and jailed before? as a result, wouldn't it be true that he no longer has the right to vote or does that only apply while someone is in jail... (i'm not hating on em, i'm a big fan)
Old 11-03-04, 12:40 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by j123vt_99
finally got around to watching the video.. agree with others.. good song, good video, but the chorus is kind of long... quick question about eminem and voting.. hasn;t he been convicted and jailed before? as a result, wouldn't it be true that he no longer has the right to vote or does that only apply while someone is in jail... (i'm not hating on em, i'm a big fan)
well....not exactly.

http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cg...AG9794C5D1.DTL

plus, was Eminem convicted of a felony? i'm not familiar with his past, but if it was just the weapon thing, that would be a misdemeanor.
Old 11-03-04, 01:43 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

thanks for the link... and i believe you might be correct about it only being a misdemeanor

Originally posted by antennaball
well....not exactly.

http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cg...AG9794C5D1.DTL

plus, was Eminem convicted of a felony? i'm not familiar with his past, but if it was just the weapon thing, that would be a misdemeanor.
Old 11-03-04, 02:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The Encore album is better than I thought it would be. It's not a great album (or even Em's best) but it is solid. Before listening, I was very happy to see that Dre produced 8 tracks (!!!) which is more than any other album he's worked on since Chronic 2001. Among those productions though, are 3 that have already been out there (Just Lose It, Mosh, and Encore...one of the album's best tracks). The first real song on the album, Evil Deeds, features an outstanding Dre beat, but it's quickly ruined by Em's sing songy, nursery rhyme flow. Em is at his peak on the dark,yet bouncy Dre produced Rain Man. One of the non-Dre standouts is a track called Like Toy Soldiers, which is produced by Em. In the track he looks back on his various beefs, some with mixed emotions. He talks about how he felt having to go after the Source, which was a magazine that helped him reach stardom before the Benzino beef. On this track he also addresses Dre's beef with Suge (although Suge's name is edited out) and why he's never said anything about the Death Row honcho. Of course there are the requisite Paul Berman skits (one of which has Paul calling Em about the Michael Jackson situation), which are basically a waste of disc space and seem to be included only for continuity space. He also has the requisite "I hate Kim" track called Puke. As far as guests, Nate Dogg is featured on a track, 50 is on a couple of tracks, Stat Quo is featured alongside Obie Trice on the track Spend Some Time and he really steals the song...I am anxiously awaiting the Stat Quo album. On the previously leaked track Encore, Dre is the star (I wonder is Em or Stat Quo wrote his verses) while Em and 50 play supporting roles and at the end of the song Em says something like, "Don't worry. Detox is coming soon. We're going to make Dre do it." All in all a good album...while not track for track as strong as Jay-Z's Black Album, Kanye's College Dropout, or even Get Rich or Die Tryin', but an album that has quite a few highlights over the course of it's hefty 20 song tracklist.