Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

The Final Countdown: Good blind buy?

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-04, 08:09 AM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Final Countdown: Good blind buy?

Big sci-fi fan, however I've never seen this movie in it's entirety (just parts when I was little). The two disc of it always grabs my eye at Suncoast and Best Buy when I'm going through the sci-fi section but whenever I want to buy it, I always find something else more interesting.

Anyway, I wanted to rent the movie last night and finally see it, but Hollywood Video didn't have the DVD and I couldn't locate the VHS anywhere in the sci-fi section; even though the employee said it should be there.

On a related note, is the two disc set genuinely limited or, as is the case with other "limited" releases, is it just a marketing label? I assume it is but with the single disc not being labeled as limited, I wasn't sure.

Finally, what's the general opinion on the two disc set? Transfer quality and extras in particular.

Last edited by Gotham_Knight; 10-27-04 at 08:18 AM.
Old 10-27-04, 08:32 AM

I'm very happy with my purchase of this DVD. I bought it as a semi-blind buy as well, in that I'd seen parts of it but not the entire thing.

The 2-disc is limited in that they are numbered, so I assume that they didn't duplicate numbers or anything.

As far as the transfer and extras, the DVDTalk review pretty much hits the nail right on the head http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=9839

I'd say go for it.

Last edited by dealer; 10-27-04 at 08:35 AM.
Old 10-27-04, 08:39 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I was very happy buying it (blind buy) ..definately worth to pick it up if you're a fan of that type of movie...
Old 10-27-04, 09:15 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I saw it over the summer after reading about the new DVD release on The Digital Bits and found it to be a good popcorn flick. I'll probably only be picking up the 1 discer from CH.
Old 10-27-04, 09:34 AM

Location: The Fair City of Detroit, ok, The Fair Suburbs of Detroit
Great movie.

You should buy it.

It also makes for interesting discussion too, watch it with some firends and then have a discussion about time travel and if you would change the future if you had the opportunity.
Old 10-27-04, 09:45 AM

I blind bought it, after only seeing parts on cable years ago.

It was ok, but it isn't one I'd watch again. I should have just rented it.

The extras are ok, but nothing you'd watch more than once.

I would have sold it, only the copy I got had the interior disc holders broken. So, even though it is "limited" it is probably worthless.
Old 10-27-04, 10:07 AM
Banned

i had watched this movie countless times when it aired over cable many years ago simply becasue I had a real affinity for aircraft and aircraft carriers and the whole pearl harbor thing.

they really crafted an interesting scifi story around the whole thing for the period in which it was done -
Spoiler:
makes you wonder how Cag managed to remain hidden and anonymous all those years

Id recommend it easily

Last edited by JupiterPrime; 10-27-04 at 10:10 AM.
Old 10-27-04, 10:10 AM

It's an excellent blind buy. It's a great film, looks wonderful on DVD and it has nearly infinite rewatchability. It's probably because it was filmed with the full cooperation of the Navy, on a real ship with real planes rather than a studio set, that help it stand up so well.

It's worth buying just for the dogfight scene between the jets and the Japanese Zeroes.

It gets my highest, fullest recommendation.

Last edited by Altimus Prime; 10-27-04 at 10:13 AM.
Old 10-27-04, 03:28 PM
eau
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

It's a good blind buy.
Old 10-27-04, 03:39 PM

I saw it when i was younger and nabbed the 2disc edition when it was released, unsure about how the movie went as it had been years since i'd seen it.

Was happy watching it again, very "what if " kind of movie
Old 10-28-04, 09:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 239 Likes on 175 Posts
I've enjoyed this movie since the first time I saw it on TV years ago. Waited awhile for a decent copy to show up on DVD and now it's here.
I would recommend it highly.
Old 10-28-04, 10:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts
It's a solid, but not great, blind buy. The movie DOES show its age...it looks more like a made-for-TV flick now than a theatrical one. But it is a good story.
Old 10-28-04, 11:18 AM
Banned

Originally posted by Shannon Nutt
The movie DOES show its age...it looks more like a made-for-TV flick now than a theatrical one. But it is a good story.
I kinda agree, it DOES show its age, but what do you want for 1980? I thought it carried just fine - enough to watch it several times over
Old 10-28-04, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I agree with the aforementioned decent blind buy. I really enjoyed it, but it did show its age. I would look for it on sale or find a used copy unless you are sure. I think I could have gone with the cheaper version and been just as happy.
Old 10-28-04, 01:08 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
One of my personal favorite purchases this year. Blue Underground should be commended for their excellent work with this release. I highly recommend it, especially given your stated tastes.