Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

The Donnas DualDisc: Will the new format help CD sales?

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

The Donnas DualDisc: Will the new format help CD sales?

Old 10-26-04, 05:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Bought my first DualDisc: Good bang for the buck. Will it help CD sales?

The question assumes all things being equal. The main reason I haven't bought a lot of music in the last couple of years has been the lack of worthy titles, but that is changing.

Today I picked up the new CD by The Donnas, "Gold Medal." It was only $9.99 at Best Buy.

CD on one side, entire album remixed to 5.1 DVD-Audio/Dolby Digital on the other, plus a music video and making-of featurette.

This is the kind of thing consumers may be willing to fork over $10 for. Have the record labels finally pulled their collective heads out of their asses and figured out the reason DVDs are so popular are because they offer a lot of quality content for a reasonable amount of money?

I for one am looking forward to more DualDisc releases.
Old 10-26-04, 06:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,286 Likes on 935 Posts
Yep, picked it up at BB also.

$10 for DVD-A disc? Hell yes! I can't wait to listen to it. I'll definately write some email saying that I think this is a cool idea.

Oh, and the fuzzy slipcover is neat
Old 10-26-04, 06:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 230 Likes on 164 Posts
I hear it can't be ripped into iTunes - no go for me. I'll just stream it and listen to it to see if it's good.
Old 10-26-04, 06:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
I don't think its so much the features, but the fact that its a new CD for 9.99! It's not that common an occurance to be able to get a new CD for 9.99, at least not more than the 1 or 2 selected titles for a given week.

Too bad my crappy Best Buy didn't have any of the DualDisc's in stock, because I really wanted one, had to settle for the regular version. I'll console myself with the thoughts the features really blow.

On a side note....the conventional CD is 13.99, only the DualDisc release is $9.99. Luckily, the flip side of crappy Best Buy is lackluster salespeople who will happily change the price as long as the picture in the paper is the same.
Old 10-26-04, 08:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Re: Bought my first DualDisc: Good bang for the buck. Will it help CD sales?

Originally posted by Mr. Salty
The question assumes all things being equal. The main reason I haven't bought a lot of music in the last couple of years has been the lack of worthy titles, but that is changing.

Lucky you. I've bought hundreds of discs the last couple of years.

I need to be pickier like you.

Have you bought any of the other Donnas discs in the past?

I saw the Donnas disc at FYE today for $17 after rebate.

I plan on visiting Best Buy to pick this up too. Sadly it looks to be a special price for the intro and future releases may end up costing the usual price. Hopefully I'm wrong, but FYE doesn't think so.
Old 10-26-04, 08:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
is the DVD-audio side playable on regular DVD-players and able to get 5.1? Mine can play DVD-A but it only outputs a 2.0 signal.
Old 10-26-04, 09:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

we got an email from corporate to pull this, as it is apparently defective.
Old 10-26-04, 09:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 230 Likes on 164 Posts
db27 that might be why you can't rip it into iTunes.
Old 10-26-04, 10:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by db27
You work at Best Buy?

The disc is defective? Should I not bother grabbing it?
Old 10-26-04, 10:21 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by db27
I was screwing around with my setup for an hour trying to figure out why the center channel did not play on the high resolution tracks.
Old 10-26-04, 10:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

btw, according to their website, they only printed 50,000 of the DualDiscs.

I'm curious what's defective. I've only played a few tracks on both sides (and some of the video and "making of...") and all seems fine. Because of the time I really couldn't crank up the 5.1 but the surrounds sounded a tad weak. I'll give it a better workout tomorrow. My center seemed to come in loud and clear.
Old 10-26-04, 11:56 PM

Originally posted by TomOpus
I'm curious what's defective.
From a couple threads over at the Donna's website it looks like the last song was only 53 seconds long when it should have been 2:53.

Better check your last song.

I purchased Simple Plan DualDisc and had some troubles playing/ripping the CD on my PC. I ended up holding down shift when inserting the CD. After that I could play/rip the songs on the CD. Don't know if it's copy protection or just my setup.

Drew

Last edited by dremo; 10-26-04 at 11:58 PM.
Old 10-27-04, 03:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by GatorDeb
I hear it can't be ripped into iTunes - no go for me.
Wrong. It ripped into iTunes just fine. In fact, I'm listening to it now.

Yes, the defect on the DualDisk is that the last song on the CD side is only 53 seconds long instead of 2:53. The song plays fine in the Dolby Digital and Dolby 2.0 versions on the DVD side.

Since they only pressed 50,000 copies of this I'm hanging on to it until Atlantic Records figures out how they're going to fix the problem. I'm hoping there will be some sort of disc exchange. If not, the DualDisk version is worth keeping even with the defect.

I was screwing around with my setup for an hour trying to figure out why the center channel did not play on the high resolution tracks.
The high-res track is in stereo. There is also a separate DD 5.1 track.

is the DVD-audio side playable on regular DVD-players and able to get 5.1? Mine can play DVD-A but it only outputs a 2.0 signal.
Yes.
Old 10-27-04, 06:54 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Thanks for the info!
Old 10-27-04, 08:53 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Glad to see this is finally happening. Hopefully this will be the impetus needed to ensure more bands receive the 5.1 treatment.
Old 10-27-04, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I ordered the autographed version from Tower and it wasn't the dual disk! How long is the "making of" video?

Only heard it once, but I was pretty much disappointed in it. Way more mellower than their other stuff (by the way, I though "Spend The Night" was their best.)
Old 10-27-04, 02:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 225 Likes on 145 Posts
I don't mean to be a threadcrapper, but aren't the Donnas a little too lo-fi to really show off this format? I'm not very familiar with them, but aren't they pretty much 3 chord guitar, drum, and bass hard rock/punk?

Not that there's a thing in the world wrong with that kind of music, but when I think of something that will show off DVD Audio, I think of something with a lot of different things going on. Something like Dream Theater or Radiohead or some remixed Pink Floyd would be ideal to show off the possibilities of 5.1 surround. After all, when people show off their home theater audio, they always put in a big flashy action/sci-fi movie.
Old 10-27-04, 02:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 255 Likes on 163 Posts
If the top of the disc has content like the bottom, how will this play in car cd players? Will the car scratch the top when sliding in?
Old 10-27-04, 02:21 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Mr. Salty

The high-res track is in stereo. There is also a separate DD 5.1 track.
Thanks for the info. I assumed it had high-res stereo and muti-channel tracks.
Old 10-27-04, 04:16 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Speaking as a huge Donnas fan, this album isn't the best. The higher production values have diluted their fun factor, and none of the choruses are able to take off like they were intended.

And yes, the last track cuts off. Maybe that's for the best.
Old 10-27-04, 04:43 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I think the vocals were mixed a little too loud on about half the disk (thus diminishing the guitars).
Old 10-27-04, 05:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Buford T Pusser
You work at Best Buy?

nope, Coconuts mgr
Old 10-27-04, 06:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

So they pulled them at Coconuts, but it sounds like Best Buy and FYE have not. At least FYE had them out during the lunch hour Tuesday.
Old 10-27-04, 08:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by GuessWho
If the top of the disc has content like the bottom, how will this play in car cd players? Will the car scratch the top when sliding in?
I tried it in my car stereo and nary a scratch... but it might depend on the player.

Originally posted by nodeerforamonth
I ordered the autographed version from Tower and it wasn't the dual disk! How long is the "making of" video?
It's almost 16 mins long. The girls seemed to have fun making the video and it's nice little segment. Each Donna gets to talk about the video and the new release.
Old 10-28-04, 08:17 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by Jason
I'm not very familiar with them, but aren't they pretty much 3 chord guitar, drum, and bass hard rock/punk?
Jason...their earlier releases were more three chord punk/pop/rock but with "Get Skintight", there were more hints of metal guitar solos. Their sound became a little more metal/pop/polished on "Turn 21" and "Spend the Night".

"Gold Medal" is quite polished but is still good, solid rock and roll. I agree that the guitars should be louder on this release. Allison is a good guitarist and should be featured more. That said, I really love the ditty "Gold Medal"...very catchy.

I purchased the regular release that contains the video.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.