Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Van Halen at it again?

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Van Halen at it again?

Old 10-26-04, 05:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Van Halen at it again?

This was posted on melodicrock.com

ANOTHER END OF THE ROAD FOR VAN HALEN?:
The world of Van Halen is a fickle thing and the band have never been far from a headline. The guys are currently working their way through their last weeks of 2004 tour dates - shows that some never thought would happen.
But they did, after the feud between vocalist Sammy Hagar and the Van Halen brothers was laid to rest earlier in the year. The guys finally hit the road again on the back of a new compilation that featured 3 new tracks.
There have been numerous reports of problems within the band and just as many reports of Eddie Van Halen drunk on stage.
Rumors flared again last week after Hagar appeared on US radio station KSHE, stating in an interview that he thought the Van Halen re-union was fun, but it bought closure to that chapter. He went on to voice his unhappiness with the high ticket prices from the tour and how he wished some members of the band were into fan interaction as much as he was. It was implied that once the current dates were completed, Hagar would return to touring with The Waboritas and the future of VH would again be up in the air.
What really is going on? What's next for Van Halen?
The reality is that at this point - no one knows. But I for one am not hopeful of anything continuing once this leg of the 2004 tour concludes.
Everything I am hearing from my sources - past, proven sources that have all contributed to past Van Halen reports - is negative.
Everything I hear points to a band that is managing to function despite inner turmoil. And it seems all that turmoil is centered around Eddie Van Halen.
It is no secret that Eddie is drinking heavily and has been since the start of the tour - that drinking and his subsequent behavior has put a major strain on relationships within the VH organization. As one source put it - Eddie is "unstable".
As a result, there are no band commitments planned past next month. Sammy Hagar is planning to tour with his solo band The Waboritas and could be playing solo as early as December, with further plans being made for summer 2005.
Apparently Hagar did not want the re-union to play out as it has, but would rather return to being a solo artist than tour with Van Halen under current circumstances.
I am told there are no 2005 tour plans and no album plans. All will become a little clearer once the tour concludes next month.
To sum up, everything I have heard points towards confirming what Sammy Hagar said on KSHE-FM last week. Once this tour is done, another chapter of the Van Halen history will close with it.

I saw them in Dallas, and they were great! Eddie did seem a tad (ok a whole lot) drunk.

Old 10-26-04, 11:01 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

If Eddie's drinking again, with all of his other health problems... he may not be long for this world. Damn shame to see a great talent like his squandered like this.
Old 10-26-04, 12:07 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Old 10-26-04, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Old 10-26-04, 12:44 PM

Geezus. Alex doing anything about this? Or is he getting drunk too?
Old 10-26-04, 03:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Bummer. At least I finally got to see them back in June. The ticket prices were indeed way to high. I would love to see more music out of them...
Old 10-26-04, 03:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 255 Likes on 163 Posts
I never took this as an official get-together, just as a one time tour and open-ended from there.
Old 10-26-04, 04:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Well at the show Sammy said "It's about time" was an apology to the fans and that they wouldn't be waiting another 8 years...but hey...alcohol is a powerful drug...
Old 10-26-04, 05:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Is anyone in this band sober?

I took it the same as Guess did...open-ended. Hopefully the end is what most VH fans want.
Old 11-05-04, 05:40 AM

update from Melodicrock.com

VAN HALEN - NOVEMBER 19 DEFINITELY NOT THE END OF ANY ROAD:
They say a week is a long time in politics, but it's even longer in the world of Van Halen.
I have written a lot of Van Halen updates over the time running this site, but none brought me more pleasure than the November 20, 2003 report breaking the news that one of the truly great bands in rock n roll history would finally return to action now that the much loved Eddie Van Halen was over his battle with cancer and singer Sammy Hagar had returned to the fold.
The band had a lot of work to do in order to mend past friendships and build bridges to the future. But the guys were well on the road to doing just that, with an 80 date North American tour the perfect foil for the boys to once again gel and show the world just what a great live performance is all about.
I was disappointed hear about rumors of recent turmoil and when listening to Sammy Hagar's recent radio interview, presumed the worst like just about everyone else had.
But not so!
Overnight Sammy Hagar has printed a personal update on his website, which addresses recent whispers of unrest.
And reports in from live shows this week highlight a warm chemistry between all on stage. Even reports from last night's show in Milwaukee have the band reaching a new level of enjoyment on stage and really soaking up the last few nights of this long tour.
My main reason for this update comes after getting a phone call yesterday from the USA.
It was from a source known to me who has been travelling with Van Halen on their current comeback tour. They wanted to set the record straight on a few things rumors which have been greatly exaggerated or formed for unknown reasons.
The biggest issue that needs to be put straight is Eddie's drinking and the perception he had been drunk throughout the tour. That is just not correct I'm told.
Eddie is in great shape I'm told and is having a blast on tour. Eddie has put in some amazing performances throughout the tour and one only has to check the 2004 Tour Forum at VHLinks.com to take in eyewitness accounts. He has been loose and relaxed and blowing fans away with his impromptu solos.

This has been a long tour, but my source says right now everyone is still having a blast and putting on the best shows possible, but they are all looking forward to a good rest after November 19. The 80 show tour has been the longest tour any of the guys have done in a decade.
The guys will be taking a break and 2005 plans are yet to be worked out, but as far as my source says, the guys definitely want to do this again and they want to continue working as a band. That includes singer Sammy Hagar.

Sammy of course got rumors rolling with his interview on KSHE a week or so back. But in his own words posted overnight: "...all these crazy rumors flying around cyberspace are that. Plain and simple, I never said I was quitting Van Halen. There has been no discussion as to when or where we're going to pick this show up on the road and do it all over again cause quite honestly, 80 shows since June 11. Wow, I'm bushed ...HA!
But baby, we are rockin'. The adrenalin in pumpin'. We're having a blast and you need to come check it out for yourself. If you ain't jacked when you get there, I guarantee you you'll be jacked when you leave."

My source says Sammy was quoted in some areas as saying Eddie has been drunk and that is just plain incorrect. And having listened the interview myself, I can back that up. Sammy, like everyone, is tired after a long tour and his comments from that interview have been skewered towards the negative. This line-up wants to continue working and looks forward to doing just that.
I also spoke to a good friend of mine Steve Lukather, who of course, is best buddies with Eddie. I asked Steve about the rumors and how Ed was feeling. He commented "I spoke to Ed a few nights ago and he sounded great! No bad news from his mouth… As far as he's concerned its all good."
We got talking about Ed's impact on music over the years, to which Steve added "If he never did anything after Van Halen 1 he would still go down as one of the greatest EVER! I also believe he still makes amazing music and is a close brother to me. So leave him the fuck alone!"

I know I speak for many out there, but I am just thrilled the band is back out there working and touring. There have been times over the past few years where we thought it might not happen. I started a guestbook for those wishing to send Eddie Van Halen get well messages and general words of encouragement when he faced his cancer scare.
Entries continue to be added to the tribute page, (Located Here), as proof of the guitarists continued popularity.
Let's hope a well earned rest is followed by an even bigger year in 2005, complete with a kick-ass new studio record.
Old 11-05-04, 06:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Cool. I am glad to see this was all some form of speculation...wait...isn't that whole article speculation, on false speculation?

My head hurts.
Old 11-05-04, 10:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I saw them last night and it kicked ass. My ears are still ringing.
Old 11-05-04, 11:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'll wait for the dvd, even though I am surprised the band released a concert dvd from the late 80's......
Old 11-08-04, 05:07 AM

More info from melodicrock.com

THE GOOD VIBES CONTINUE TO FLOW FROM VAN HALEN:
Following my report from Friday, Alex Van Halen has been hitting the campaign trail, selling the concept of Van Halen for 2005. Good news for sure. The article from the Journal Gazette reads, in part, as follows:
"Van Halen is a volatile band, and drummer Alex Van Halen is the first to admit it. “We're volatile only to the extent that we're as good of friends as we are,” Van Halen says in a phone interview. “It's because we are so intense. It's part of our nature. As much as I love (brother and guitarist Eddie), if you put us in a room with no one else for 15 minutes, we'd be at each other's throats. But it's always about creative differences. Always. It's never personal.”
“Music is a dialogue. It's about an emotional reaction. We're very needy people, you know,” Alex Van Halen says, laughing.
Gary Cherone's short-lived stint as lead singer produced one of the worst albums of the band's career. Alex Van Halen has nothing bad to say about Cherone. “He was just the wrong choice. It's that simple. No harm, no foul,” Van Halen said. “Nobody sets out to make a bad record. I just think the chemistry was wrong. It was just one of those things.”
And the guys even touch on David Lee Roth: "Every time it looks as if Van Halen is about to take on a new or slightly used vocalist, there is always much speculation about whether the band's first frontman, David Lee Roth, will return.
Van Halen says Roth fans just need to accept the fact that Diamond Dave is history, at least as far as this group of guys is concerned. “I can say something comic, but let me preface that by saying, 'He needs meds.' I am very serious about that. It's that simple. It's not even his fault, really. Whatever our personal differences are, there are no bigger fans of this band than the people who are in this band. So we understand why people would love to see that sort of reunion. But that's just not going to happen. Some things are impossible. The Beatles will never get back together and David Lee Roth will never again sing with Van Halen.”
And the best news fans could wish for: Van Halen says the band is currently writing material that he believes is its best in a great while.
“I can't put it into words, unfortunately, but the stuff is absolutely brilliant,” he says. Alex Van Halen says the band has purged itself of angst over profits, pans and chart positions. Now it's just about the music. “When you leave the planet, you leave music behind. You don't leave behind box office scores or how many dollars changed hands. You come to the planet with nothing and you leave with nothing, so you'd better do some good while you are here.”

And at the same time - this from the Wichita Eagle in Kansas:
"Known for their internal squabbling and singer-swapping as much as for their music, Van Halen set aside a nine-year war of words and egos with singer Sammy Hagar to return to the road. In July, the band released a two-disc greatest hits album featuring three new songs with Hagar at the helm.
While on a tour stop in Calgary last week, drummer Alex Van Halen said in an interview that the diverse faces in the audiences on this tour are a testament to the band's longevity. "It means the music held up," he said. "It's probably one of the most rewarding aspects of making music."
The cliche says that rock 'n' roll is the elixir of youth. Like the Rolling Stones, Van Halen is clearly a case study in this theory.
Singer Hagar, who replaced original vocalist David Lee Roth in 1985, turned 57 last month. "That guy's made of cast iron," Alex Van Halen said.
Guitarist Edward Van Halen has spent the previous four years battling tongue cancer. These days he jumps around on stage with an artificial hip. Alex Van Halen admitted that getting old is a fact of life. "At our age, you don't want to stop. Because if you stop, you might not get back up."
Speaking of stopping, the last date of the tour is Nov. 19 in Tucson. The buzz on radio and the Internet is again predicting the band's demise, saying internal tensions have taken their toll. Alex Van Halen tried to lay those rumors to rest.
"Our disagreements are about our music," he said. The band plans to take a break after the tour and then enter the studio to begin work on a new album, he said. With Sammy Hagar on vocals? "With Sammy," he said."
Old 11-08-04, 05:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Hey that is great that Alex thinks the shit they are writing is brilliant...but isn't this the same band that claimed Cherone was Eddie's musical "soulmate"?

Eh...it is just good to see that they have not killed each other during this tour.

My god...Sammy is as old as my dad
Old 11-08-04, 09:35 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by KnightLerxst
My god...Sammy is as old as my dad
I'm guessing he's always been.

If Eddie is heavily drinking after everything he's gone through then he deserves all the misery he's gonna get.
Old 11-10-04, 10:28 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

And that's if he's drinking. Who really knows. I think it's great that they are writing new material. It's been such a long time since they have put out a full album. Maybe the magic is back. I know I'm not the only that wishes that true. Here's to hoping it's true!!
Old 11-10-04, 04:33 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

what more can i say....

Old 11-11-04, 01:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: the kingdom of the evil Voratians, ruled by the wicked Ak-Oga
Received 80 Likes on 46 Posts

"Me? Drinking?................what was the question again?"
Old 11-25-04, 02:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It's great that the tour is going well. Now give the fans a new studio album as well as a CD and DVD of the current tour. Otherwise they just relegate themselves to becoming an oldies act, a nostagia curio, which is the LAST thing VH should be seen as with all the great music they've done with both Dave and Sammy. Hell, I even liked the VH 3 album.
Old 11-25-04, 10:41 PM
Banned

They can't even get nominated for the ROCK N ROLL hall of fame!
Old 11-26-04, 01:53 AM

They haven't put out a good album in a long, long time. I know Sammy still has good pipes and Eddie still has the chops. I hope they got it in them to put out something still musically interesting. Too bad that Dave's voice has just gone down the toilet. Would have loved to have seen at least one last tour with the original lineup in decent form.
Old 11-26-04, 06:49 AM

Once again from melodicrock.com

VAN HALEN TAKE A BREAK - BUT FOR HOW LONG?:
Van Halen's amazing 2004 came to a conclusion Friday night, with the band living up to expectations and managing to find themselves in the headlines yet again. Reports suggest Eddie Van Halen lost the plot, while others suggest stage antics were a planned part of the show.
So what really happened and where does this leave the future of Van Halen?
On October 25 I reported that tension in the Van Halen camp was high and was being fuelled by an interview singer Sammy Hagar gave to KSHE-FM. Shortly after, reports from several media outlets appeared, hosing down talk of trouble and painting a rosy picture. On November 5 I followed up those reports with news of my own from a source on tour with the band. Again, a rosy picture was painted, but not a trouble free one.
It seems everyone wanted the last remaining dates on the tour to go down well and end the 80 date trek on a high note.
Following the tour conclusion, KSHE-FM posted the Sammy Hagar interview in full via a MP3. Hagar was not in good spirits on the day of the interview and the news of Friday night's problems once again fuels the fire of negativity for Van Halen. The truth lies somewhere in between.
I have just had a follow-up conversation with my trusted source travelling with the band. What they had to say was very interesting.
First of all, the band as a whole are very happy with the success of the 2004 tour and can't thank the fans enough for coming along for the ride. They have witnessed some killer shows along the way - with the odd bad night outweighed by some of the best shows the band has ever played.
However, what exactly happened Friday night in Arizona? My source spoke frankly. Eddie Van Halen had a bad day. While no one knows exactly why, Eddie was drunk and turned up late to soundcheck, which angered Hagar. The two had words backstage, but managed to keep a lid on things on stage. That was until something else set Eddie off, including tripping on his guitar chord, which he really lost his temper over. He then smashed two guitars on stage - which has been reported already - but that was not a planned part of the show.
From this point everyone flew back to their respective homes.
I am told that there is hope the band will work together again, with Hagar continuing on as vocalist. But before that happens, my source states that some work will be needed to re-build some fences knocked over in the last few days.
Where does that leave Van Halen in 2005? Right now my source concludes that there is no plans at this stage for the band to tour in 2005 and while everyone wants to see a new Van Halen album, once again, at this stage there is no timetable for this to happen. Let's hope the new year brings a brighter outlook for all.
Old 11-26-04, 06:24 PM
Banned

Can't lawyers get envole with these jerks including Roth and come up with some last tour?
Think of the money they would make!
Or at least do a Super Bowl half-time show.
Old 11-27-04, 04:00 AM
Mod Emeritus

<small>
Originally posted by wm lopez
Can't lawyers get envole with these jerks including Roth and come up with some last tour? Think of the money they would make!
</small>I'm sure the lawyers would make a fortune....

.... but IMNSHO it isn't lawyers they need for such a project; it's psychotherapy/mediation.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.