Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

Recommendations for G and PG Rated DVDs

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-04, 09:16 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm going to sign up for Clean Flicks 15-day free trial. I'd like to take advantage of the offer and check out some G and PG rated films, since anything more than that will likely be edited. So far I'm planning on getting the animated Anastasia and Finding Nemo. Stuff like Harry Potter is edited, and they don't have a lot of titles, such as Hunchback of Notre Dame. Anyone have any recommendations? Thanks.
Old 10-25-04, 12:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts
My recommendation would be not to support an organization that tampers with a filmmaker's original intent.

Yeah, it's thread crapping, but it's well-intended thread crapping with a noble purpose.

But assuming they haven't edited it, check out THE IRON GIANT.
Old 10-25-04, 12:02 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
I would rent R-rated movies myself, just to see what they did to them. I'd love to see the "Family Friendly" version of 28 Days Later for instance. "Gather round, kids!"
Old 10-25-04, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 137 Posts
Any time you fast forward, rewind a bit, pause a movie, do not watch a movie to completion, watch on a television screen, or do not listen using a theater sound system, you are tampering with the filmmaker's original intent.
Old 10-25-04, 02:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Bill Needle
Any time you fast forward, rewind a bit, pause a movie, do not watch a movie to completion, watch on a television screen, or do not listen using a theater sound system, you are tampering with the filmmaker's original intent.
No, I think a filmmaker expects these things to happen when his/her movie hits the home video market. What he/she does not expect is for some Blockbuster wanabees to chop stuff out of his/her movie.
Old 10-25-04, 02:06 PM

That's ridiculous.
Old 10-25-04, 03:03 PM

Originally posted by Shannon Nutt
My recommendation would be not to support an organization that tampers with a filmmaker's original intent.
Three points:

1. So do you boycott television?

2. For every altered version they produce, they must purchase one studio release copy of the DVD.

3. I am not supporting them. I am receiving ~$13 to sign up for the trial, after which I will cancel my account. If anything, I will cost them money.

I'll gladly view and write a review of any R-rated film they carry if I cannot find any other decent titles to watch. I've never seen 28 Days Later, so I don't think I could provide an interesting comparison between the two.

Last edited by evitagen; 10-25-04 at 03:07 PM.
Old 10-25-04, 03:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by evitagen
Three points:

1. So do you boycott television?
I do not watch theatrical versions of films on TV, unless it's pay cable and only if I'm watching it in OAR on HDTV, if that's what you are asking. But I think you're forgetting that most edited for TV movies are done with the approval of the director/studio.

BTW, if you want to do all of us a favor...rent The Passion of The Christ just to see how much of the violence they cut out - if any at all. I only bring this up, because I'm guessing this outfit caters to the Christian right and would edit out curse words and nudity from a film, but just might let Jesus getting the "bejesus" kicked out of him remain in that movie because it's considered a "Christian" film, even though it's a hard-"R".

Last edited by Shannon Nutt; 10-25-04 at 03:33 PM.
Old 10-25-04, 03:29 PM

Originally posted by Shannon Nutt My recommendation would be not to support an organization that tampers with a filmmaker's original intent.
Not watching film on television doesn't change the fact that you are supporting an organization that tampers with a filmmaker's original intent.
Old 10-25-04, 10:45 PM

BTW, if you want to do all of us a favor...rent The Passion of The Christ just to see how much of the violence they cut out - if any at all. I only bring this up, because I'm guessing this outfit caters to the Christian right and would edit out curse words and nudity from a film, but just might let Jesus getting the "bejesus" kicked out of him remain in that movie because it's considered a "Christian" film, even though it's a hard-"R".
That's right, let's all pile on the Christian right; it's their fault.
Old 10-26-04, 02:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

No, I think a filmmaker expects these things to happen when his/her movie hits the home video market. What he/she does not expect is for some Blockbuster wanabees to chop stuff out of his/her movie.
So if I skip over a short nude scene so that my children are not subjected to it in an otherwise age appropriate movie (happens more and more these days), I am tampering with the filmmaker's original intent? What if I fast forward through a slow bit because I need to get through the movie quicker? That seems to be OK, but choosing to skip through something because it is simply offensive content is to you, well, apparently offensive.
Old 10-26-04, 03:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by mjlukich
That's ridiculous.
Of course it is.

It's also ridiculous to care if someone wants to take advantage of the opportunity to watch a film with the 4-letter words blanked out. Why should anyone else care as long as they can still hear and see all the offensive material they want on their own copy?

I've seen a few of these discussions about Clean Flicks and the like before, and I wonder about the motivation of people who get bent out of shape over something like Clean Flicks. Why does the mere thought that someone might see a film without the profanity in it bother them so much? It all seems quite vain and silly to me.

BTW, I personally do not feel the need to use something like Clean Flicks, but I certainly can understand that some might, and could not care less if they do. They are grown ups, and obviously know that it may affect the movie. If there is a market for it, so be it.

Same goes for pan & scan. It's certainly not my preference, but who am I to tell someone they should be forbidden from preferring to watch a movie format that fills up their standard TV screen...that I am in fact botherd by the mere existence of pan & scan DVDs, though I in fact own none?
Old 10-26-04, 10:58 AM

I think The Passion sounds like a good one to check out. The remainder of the film might not even last a half-hour.
Old 10-26-04, 02:13 PM
Jim
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Back to the original question:

Swiss Family Robinson
Old Yeller
20,000 Leagues Under The Sea
Pollyanna
The Parent Trap
Remember The Titans
Miracle
The Rookie
Escape From Witch Mountain
The Apple Dumpling Gang
Old 10-26-04, 03:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Bill, if you don't understand why chopping up someone else's film without permission is offensive, I can't really help you...

But I'll leave it at that. To each, his own, I suppose.
Old 10-26-04, 03:52 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
So if I skip over a short nude scene so that my children are not subjected to it in an otherwise age appropriate movie (happens more and more these days
Name one movie like this.
Old 10-26-04, 04:28 PM

a short nude scene in an otherwise age appropriate movie (happens more and more these days)
I *wish*!

Bill C
Old 10-26-04, 07:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Groucho
Titanic?
Old 10-26-04, 07:53 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Jaws
Old 10-26-04, 08:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

There are dozens of mainstream movies that fit that description. If you can't think of any you're not really trying. The highest grossing film of all time is one.
Old 10-26-04, 08:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

To each, his own, I suppose.
I couldn't agree more. Except I mean it without the condescension.
Old 10-26-04, 09:21 PM

Originally posted by Jim
Back to the original question:

Swiss Family Robinson
Old Yeller
20,000 Leagues Under The Sea
Pollyanna
The Parent Trap
Remember The Titans
Miracle
The Rookie
Escape From Witch Mountain
The Apple Dumpling Gang
Ah, thanks. As a youth, I used to wish I lived in the Swiss Family Robinson house.
Old 10-26-04, 10:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 357 Likes on 231 Posts
Tampering with movies can have unwanted consequences. I blame an alcohol filled youth on the fact that my parents edited out the pink elephant scene in Dumbo.
Old 10-26-04, 11:32 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Didn't Clash of the Titans have nudity in one scene?
Old 10-27-04, 01:18 AM

x

Last edited by flmfreakcentral; 10-27-04 at 02:40 AM.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.