Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Should I get the O.C.?

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-04, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Should I get the O.C.?

I never watched the O.C. I remember I missed the premiere last year since it started in the summer and I hate not watching a show from the beginning. I know a lot of people enjoy this show and I was wondering if it would be worth it to get the first season on DVD and start Tivoing the second season.

Any opinions?
Old 10-24-04, 01:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I enjoy the show but it might not be for everyone. It's much like a updated 90210.

Being a 22 year old male I don't know if I should really enjoy a show like this but I can't help it

Girls are hot and there is some decent comedy and drama that keeps it going.
Old 10-24-04, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 46 Likes on 28 Posts
I would say yes. First season was very good.
Old 10-24-04, 05:37 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
For sure a rental, but if you haven't seen it not sure you'd want to buy it.

My wife and I really liked the show. A "guilty pleasure" as they say.
Old 10-24-04, 06:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yes. I really like it. Get it.

That is all!
Old 10-24-04, 07:03 PM

I definitely think you should! I've already watched the whole first season twice (once by myself, and once with my boyfriend), but I still ordered the box set.
If you like shows like Dawson's Creek, Felicity and Buffy the Vampire Slayer you should love The O.C.
I think it's unfair to compare it to rubbish like 90210 though, The O.C. has much better scripts and talented actors.
Old 10-24-04, 07:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts
You would do yourself a service by watching it. Whether you rent or buy is your decision. Personally, I would rent it.

Last edited by B.A.; 10-24-04 at 07:59 PM.
Old 10-24-04, 07:11 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Watch an episode on tv and then decide. Fellow forum members may not have the same taste as you.
Old 10-24-04, 07:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Unless you are loaded, blind buying a TV series is just moronic IMO.

For what it's worth, I hate TV & especially teeny bopper shows like this, my girlfriend watched the show & I watched a few episodes & liked it a bit, I co-own a comic book store & the show has a lot of comic book refences in it. But after about 3-4 episodes the show gets really repetitive, it's just the same teen melodrama every week.

But hey, most seem to love that stuff.
Old 10-24-04, 09:17 PM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts
I'd say get it.
Old 10-24-04, 09:26 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

own it for seth if you have to.

He is the coolest character to come out in a long time.
Old 10-24-04, 09:37 PM

Why is it moronic? It's hard to keep up with every single series out there that gets good buzz, not to mention shows that have been around so long that it's hard to "get into them" as a new viewer. Many of the shows that I've begun watching in the past few years have started out as DVD blind buys: BtVS, Angel, 24, Alias. Not to mention cancelled shows that I never got around to watching when they aired, like Freaks and Geeks or Firefly. Needless to say, I love them all (to varying degrees), and they've been some of the best blind buys I've made. And I'll probably be getting started on Arrested Development sometime this week.

And if it turns out to be a stinker--you can go the eBay route, or head to the DVD Exchange forum. It's practically risk free.

As for The O.C....well, I don't watch it, but the feeling I get is that it'll be a bit riskier than the shows I mentioned above--I hear it's a good guilty pleasure, but I don't know if it's own-worthy. I'd probably go the Netflix route first. I'm slightly interested in it myself 'cause I could always use a good guilty pleasure.
Old 10-24-04, 09:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

definately....
Old 10-24-04, 09:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The show is good, but I doubt I'll pick up the fullscreen DVD release, since I watched all of the episodes in widescreen. The show is good though. As a heterosexual male, I found myself tuning in to watch the guys. Seth and Sandy Cohen are both great characters on the show. Getting to see the spectacle that is Summer is a nice bonus.
Old 10-24-04, 09:44 PM

Originally posted by Sessa17
I'd also like an explanation of this.
Old 10-24-04, 10:27 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

In a season of 27 episodes, there were a handful of stinkers(mostly involving the Oliver arc). But overall, I thought it was one of the few highlights of the 2003-2004 TV season. I'd definitely recommend a blind buy.
Old 10-24-04, 10:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Talk about overgeneralization. Most of us who bought Firefly blind would strongly disagree with that statement.
Old 10-24-04, 10:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by MrPeanut
I'd also like an explanation of this.
It's my opinion, & I stick to it. TV complete seasons are way more expensive than a single movie. I simply don't understand why someone would by a DVD with 20 + episodes without ever seeing it. Aside from investing the larger price, I seem to be alone on this here, but it's also investing a LOT of time to sit through a full season of a series. Which at least to me, with everything I do in a day, is just at important as money. So to invest in all this without ever even seeing a show, is just idiotic. Plus, its a TV show, it's on TV, take a few minutes & watch part of an episode, see if you like it.

Blind buying something like Firefly is different, it's a genre show, chances are if you are blind buying a genre show, you clearly have interest in the genre.
Old 10-25-04, 12:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally posted by Nakai
I enjoy the show but it might not be for everyone. It's much like a updated 90210.

Actually its different. where as 90210 focused on the kids, the adults on O.C has alot of time, in fact I like the adults storylines more than the kids.
Old 10-25-04, 12:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I hate TV

There we go.
Old 10-25-04, 10:46 AM

Originally posted by seymouru
Talk about overgeneralization. Most of us who bought Firefly blind would strongly disagree with that statement.
Why, because you liked it. It is a fairly simple point. TV's shows are much more expensive and a much greater commitment than a movie. You speak of an overgeneralization, yet you only mention one series and I would verture that even thouse who bought Firefly blind have made several more movie blind buys than full TV season blind buys.
Old 10-25-04, 11:43 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I wasn't saying that blind buying a TV series was a great idea no matter what. That would have been an overgeneralization. I also didn't say that people who bought Firefly made more blind buys of TV series than movies. I simply used Firefly as an example of how buying a TV series blind was not necessarily always "moronic." If you want other examples, I also know many people who bought Sopranos and 24 blind, and were very happy they did.

You can't deny, however, that the statement "blind buying a TV series is just moronic" is an overgeneralization. It's a blanket statement that's not always true.
Old 10-25-04, 12:04 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 617 Likes on 496 Posts
You'd probably like it. Given the abomination that was the FOX summer schedule, I really don't see why FOX didn't choose to re-air The O.C. S1 in its entirety over the summer to pick up people such as yourself.

As for blind buying TV - I've done it 3 times for reasonably priced sets: Coupling, Crime Story S1, and The Office. For Coupling, I had seen one episode, was , and took a chance on the S1 set. Wise choice. For Crime Story, it was a Michael Mann show so I knew it had to be good. Another wise choice. For The Office, I went on the great word of mouth and it was an inexpensive set (S1 & S2). I haven't gotten to it yet though. Now if you are talking HBO series, then blind buying carries a bigger risk.
Old 10-25-04, 12:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts
Originally posted by Red Dog
You'd probably like it. Given the abomination that was the FOX summer schedule, I really don't see why FOX didn't choose to re-air The O.C. S1 in its entirety over the summer to pick up people such as yourself.
They could have at least aired the eps on FX.
Old 10-25-04, 04:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I definitely would advocate buying the season set. The O.C. is definitely my favorite show on television, which as 21-year-old straight male I am not ashamed to say. The show is just great, and nothing is better than Adam Brody and Rachel Bilson.

I also advocate blind buying tv shows based on recommendations. I've done it with a few shows (Freaks & Geeks, Dead Like Me, Dead Zone, and Monk) and have thoroughly enjoyed them all. Just listen to what people say about it, and stick to shows that seem like something you would like.

But the bottom line is The O.C. RoXor!!111

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.