Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Dario Argento: My take.....

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 10-24-04, 01:11 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 189 Likes on 127 Posts

After seeing a good amount of films from what many think to be the "Master of horror" I'm ready to give my take:

Argento has a gift for taking you off your couch and pulling you into his world, actually, he freakin' lives for it and if you don't believe me just pop in Suspiria and you'll know what I mean. His direction is awesome and he never lets up on the tension. Films like the Stendhal Syndrome & Opera are all you need to see my point.

When watching an Argento film, I don't mind when the main character of the film is the boom mic or when I see an edit job done so badly I tilt my head slightly...........these issues don't matter in an Argento film dammit!!!

But with that said, the main problem I have with his films is the ACTING. I can already see die hard fans of Argento saying "well he is more of an atmosphere kind of guy" that's no excuse. I can normally look past bad acting to a point, but with Argento flicks, I just can't. The acting is just soooooooooo bad that it actually detracts from the overall impact of his films.

While watching Opera (this is the film I mainly use to show my point) the beginning alone had me wanting to hit the stop button on my remote - I couldn't take the voice over hack job that was killing my ears, it was border line unbearable. How about the killers voice in Opera? Terrible, during his first "big kill" all the terror was sucked right out when he began speaking - what a drag.

Suspiria - the lead actress was killing me, I could care less about her and only cared about what was around the next corner and the job done by the supporting actors was like watching a mini documentary for the casting of the film - It looked like they were auditioning for their roles during the making of the film.

Look, I actually do like Dario's films, but I can only watch them so often because it takes a lot to get past the putrid acting......it really does weigh down his films.