Reload this Page >

Any Marx Bros reviews yet?

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Old 10-23-04, 11:10 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm anxiously awaiting reviews for The Marx Brothers Silver Screen Collection . I have it pre-ordered and hope that Universal did the right thing and restored these classic films. Unfortunately, I have little faith that they have done so. I bought a couple of these when Image released them but they were in such bad shape, IMO they were not worth owning. Bottom line - I'll be forced to cancel my pre-order if I don't see a stellar review before release. So, any word on this set yet?
Old 10-23-04, 11:26 AM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 888 Likes on 751 Posts
wrong forum!
Old 10-23-04, 12:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 593 Likes on 341 Posts
Originally posted by scott1598
wrong forum!
Is it? Since the question has to do with the restoration quality of the disks, I would prefer any comments to be here in the DVD Talk forum. The Reviews forum, to me at least, is for an overall of a particular title, including a review of the film itself. Since these titles were released a few years ago with crappy transfers, I'd be interested in hearing how the new set compares.

In any case, does anyone know if these have been "fixed"??

Old 10-25-04, 10:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I received a review copy in the mail on Friday, and though I didn't have the time to watch any of the movies all the way through over the weekend, I popped in "Animal Crackers" to check out the print quality after seeing this thread here. Unfortunately, it didn't look so hot. I can't vouch for any of the other films--or anything about "Animal Crackers" past the first 10 minutes--but what I saw of it was fairly scratchy. I've seen much worse prinnts of the Marx Bros. movies on TV, certainly, but it if what I saw of "AC" is anything to go by, there's a fair amount of room for improvement where these discs are concerned.
Old 10-25-04, 12:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The real shame would be 'Horse Feathers'. For years, the American version has used a really beat-to-hell print to copy them from, missing actual snippets of dialogue during a scene in which Chico pretends to give a piano lesson to the girl. Reportedly, the European versions have always been dubbed from a higher-quality print, without this damage. So if this set didn't bother to track down the good version of 'Horse Feathers', maybe I'll have to pass on it for now.
Old 10-25-04, 01:09 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I will probably still get the set regardless if the quality isn't very high since I don't own the films, unless a superiror release is available in another region.