Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Does anyone have a Blockbuster Movie Pass Acct. and still Buy DVD's?

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Does anyone have a Blockbuster Movie Pass Acct. and still Buy DVD's?

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-04, 10:39 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question?

Does anyone have a Blockbuster Movie Pass Acct. and still Buy DVD's. I just got the movie pass yesterday. I was thinking to myself, why buy them now, when I can just rent them whenever I want. But then I thought to myself again, It would be nice to have a DVD Collection, look forward to buying new releases, etc. I mean its also a hobby, and i dont have any other hobbies right now (that require $). So I will have some extra $ to spend. Are any of you guys/girls in my situation, and what would you do if you were? maybe, ill only buy the DVD if I REALLY like it. PLMK, what you would do if you were in my case, thnx,

Chris
Old 10-23-04, 10:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Similar situation, but not exactly the same, with netflix 5 discs at a time (no local blockbusters). I find I've taken to purchasing dvd's I know I'll love, and previewing the ones that I'm not sure of with netflix first. The ability to rent/re-rent dvd's doesn't stop me from buying dvd's - it stops me from buying poor dvd's.
Old 10-23-04, 11:23 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
I just buy them. It makes it easier to watch whatever I want whenever I want.
Old 10-23-04, 12:38 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I just buy too. It seems weird to me to rent, watch the movie and all the special feature and then buy it just to put in on the shelf unwatched. Plus, if I buy, then that rental $ is wasted.

Also, welcome to the forum kornboy. Just a suggestion, try to make your thread titles more descriptive and there is a better chance that more people will pop in and chat. Have fun.
Old 10-23-04, 07:12 PM

Have both a BB Movie Pass and do Netflix. Small kids like to rent crazy things and have them in their hands. Big kids (aka Wife and I) like to rent things that are not widely available, cost more than we're willing to spend, or TV series.

But we still buy the movies we want as keepers or know we'll rewatch later on. It pretty much comes down to the fact we're pushing 1500+ DVD in our collection and not a whole lot outside of new releases that we want.
Old 10-23-04, 10:32 PM

i still buy because i know ill watch those movies regularly. and i rent to watch new movies not to rewatch the ones ive already seen. ive had netflix for 5 months and i still never rented a movie ive seen before.
Old 10-24-04, 10:39 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by thedavid
Similar situation, but not exactly the same, with netflix 5 discs at a time (no local blockbusters). I find I've taken to purchasing dvd's I know I'll love, and previewing the ones that I'm not sure of with netflix first. The ability to rent/re-rent dvd's doesn't stop me from buying dvd's - it stops me from buying poor dvd's.
Same situation here. No local Blockbuster so I rent from Netflix as well as buy the ones I really like. What I like about renting is there are so many TV series sets as well as concert/music DVDs on the market I may want to have a look at but not enough to fork out the money to own.

As for exclusively renting I can't imagine having an urge to pop in, say, The Good, The Bad And The Ugly.....but not owning it so I can do so. If it's a movie you enjoy then its far more cost effective to buy it one time and have it available for repeated viewings.
Old 10-24-04, 10:42 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,300 Likes on 944 Posts
Originally posted by steebo777
I just buy them. It makes it easier to watch whatever I want whenever I want.
Yes! No worries about stuff being checked out and no late fees
Old 10-24-04, 01:48 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts
No only do I have a movie pass account at Blockbuster, but I also work there so I get free rentals that way too, then I also have the game pass at two different Blockbusters and the MVP pass at Hollywood.
Old 10-24-04, 02:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 216 Likes on 155 Posts
My mom just signed up for this, which sounds like a pretty good deal. It will effect my buying somewhat (no need to blind-buy), but the titles I want I'm still going to purchase.
Old 10-24-04, 02:44 PM

I have it and still buy as much as I ever did. I don't think it's worth paying for every month though. With tax for me it works out to about $27, and unless you hit a month with a lot of good new releases eventually you run out of things you want to see.

When they switch over to be an in-store/"Netflix" combination where you can rent titles they store itself does not carry by queing them up on their website then I will stay on for sure.