Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Questions For Those Who Bought The New Ed Wood SE

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-04, 07:49 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Questions For Those Who Bought The New Ed Wood SE

By all the accounts I have read here at dvdtalk they were supposed to remove the crossdressing featurette "when carol met larry". I just got my copy yesterday with some blockbuster credit and it still has this featurette on the second page of the bonus materials. Has anyone else got a "new" copy with this featurette intact? did i just get "lucky" and get a copy that still had it? or do they all have it and maybe they removed another crossdressing featurette that i am not aware of.

thanks for any responses!

dollfins1
Old 10-23-04, 12:23 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts
The one we got at my Blockbuster has the featurette taken off the back of the box. I have the one with the featurette I bought in February. So I don't know, I didn't buy that one, no reason to.
Old 10-23-04, 12:28 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
???Hmmmm....wasn't this officially announced somewhere as being off the new disc at burton's request. Or was that just a rumor?
Old 10-23-04, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by The Monkees
The one we got at my Blockbuster has the featurette taken off the back of the box. I have the one with the featurette I bought in February.
I bought the one in February too, and the featurette wasn't listed on the back of the box, unless you count the "and more". It's on the disc, just not listed on the box.

Rob
Old 10-23-04, 01:10 PM

DVDAF has something about a music video on this new release of the disc. Was there a music video on the recalled disc?
Old 10-23-04, 01:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

mine has the crossdressing featurette and a music video as well as other extras. i was just curious if the other people that just bought the new release this week have the "supposedly" removed when carol met larry. the featurette is really no big deal either way,just looking for a confirmation yes/no as to whether other new releases had it or not. thanks to all who replied!
Old 10-23-04, 02:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Sounds like maybe they just changed the cover to appease whomever had a problem with the cross-dressing feature but kept the original recalled discs. Funny.
Old 10-23-04, 02:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally posted by ResIpsa
Sounds like maybe they just changed the cover to appease whomever had a problem with the cross-dressing feature but kept the original recalled discs. Funny.
As RobCA mentioned above, that featurette wasn't listed on the cover of the last release (got mine right here) so that's not it. The features the older one lists are "Deleted Scenes", "Making Bela", "Pie Plates Over Hollywood", "Featurette on the use of the theremin...", Audio Commentary (Tim Burton, Martin Landau, Scott Alexander/Larry Karaszewski, Stefan Crapsky and Colleen Atwood), and finally "Music Video, Theatrical Trailer, and more!" No idea if this differs from the new one.
Old 10-23-04, 07:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

thanks ginwen! either i got one of old (recalled) versions or they didn't change anything on the new release because i have all of those features that you mentioned. just trying to figure it out since there was such a controversy over exactly what the differences between the versions were.
Old 10-23-04, 09:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by dollfins1
thanks ginwen! either i got one of old (recalled) versions or they didn't change anything on the new release because i have all of those features that you mentioned. just trying to figure it out since there was such a controversy over exactly what the differences between the versions were.
The recalled one has a grey spine, while the newer re-release is black.
Old 10-25-04, 07:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I just went to BBV to sell a few more dvd's back and picked up Ed Wood for $21. It has a grey spine! So that means I got the recalled one?
Old 10-25-04, 11:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by J.P.V.
The recalled one has a grey spine, while the newer re-release is black.
i got the grey spine as well (from bbv). the bbv employee had to get it out of a cabinet (was not on the shelf) so it is possible that it could be one of the recalled ones that was not sent back. when i saw the supposedly removed featurette i suspected that i had one of the old ones. thanks to all for the confirmation of the differences between the versions.
Old 10-25-04, 11:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Did it show up intheir computer? My BBV's computer said they had 0 in stock but they sold it to me anyways.
Old 05-02-05, 08:00 PM

Sorry to bring this thread back from the dead but can anyone verify that the copies of Ed Wood SE with the grey spine is in fact the recalled disc with all the extras intact? The reason I ask is that I have seen grey spined copies mixed in with black spined copies at two of my local Best Buy stores and I would like to pick this up. Thanks
Old 05-02-05, 08:57 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by boss429
Sorry to bring this thread back from the dead but can anyone verify that the copies of Ed Wood SE with the grey spine is in fact the recalled disc with all the extras intact? The reason I ask is that I have seen grey spined copies mixed in with black spined copies at two of my local Best Buy stores and I would like to pick this up. Thanks
The copy I have is the recalled version and it has a grey spine.
Old 05-02-05, 08:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

i have seen grey spines floating around recently as well. I got the recalled version on the original release date...and have yet to hear of anyone chime in about the grey spines on shelf right now....so if you buy it, post it
Old 05-02-05, 09:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts
Originally Posted by boss429
I have also seen grey spine copies mixed in with the newer re-release at Best Buy as well.
Old 05-02-05, 11:12 PM

I have seen Ed Wood Grey Spines at Blockbuster and Borders' respectively, they also had spellbound and straw dogs for 39.99.
Old 05-03-05, 12:06 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

So, are the new discs different or not?
Old 05-03-05, 11:00 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Peep
So, are the new discs different or not?
That's what I'm wondering... And if they are not, then what in the hell was the recall and delay all about?
Old 05-03-05, 03:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,026 Likes on 725 Posts
Something is different, since my copy (with the black spine) does NOT have "When Carol met Larry," but does have the other featurette "Let's Shoot This F#*%@r!," that wasn't mentioned earlier in this thread.

I just did some exploring, however, and found that although the "When Carol Met Larry" featurette is not listed on the box, and is not available from the special features menu, it is still on the disc as VTS_12_1.VOB. So it looks like they just modified the cover and the menu to 'remove' the featurette.
Old 05-03-05, 07:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 598 Likes on 432 Posts
Originally Posted by andicus
Something is different, since my copy (with the black spine) does NOT have "When Carol met Larry," but does have the other featurette "Let's Shoot This F#*%@r!," that wasn't mentioned earlier in this thread.

I just did some exploring, however, and found that although the "When Carol Met Larry" featurette is not listed on the box, and is not available from the special features menu, it is still on the disc as VTS_12_1.VOB. So it looks like they just modified the cover and the menu to 'remove' the featurette.
the let's shoot this is on my copy with the grey spine that i bought before the recall.

that second bit of info is very interesting.

it means that the CML feature is on all copies of the dvd.
Old 05-03-05, 10:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by andicus

Maybe it's available as an Easter egg. Pretty lame to leave it on the disc but not allow it as a menu choice.