Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Mario Kart Doubledash vs Kart 64 (and other multiplayer game suggestions)

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-04, 10:17 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am out of the loop with video games. The past 3 years i have not gotten any new systems (since a PS2) and haven't gotten any new games or read up on new games for about 2 years. My all time favorite is Mario Kart 64 esp for multi-playing. Lately i took my nintendo 64 to my gf's and have gotten her and her roommates into it and we play that very often.

i was thinking about buying a used cube just to get double-dash (used) but the reviews seem mixed. So if there are any huge kart 64 fans who could tell me how it compares to them i would appreciate it.

Also if someone could recommend some other multi-player games (for the 64 or cube) i would appreciate it as well. I searched and found some 'recommend games' threads but i'm looking more for multi-player games. I don't have time for role-playing games... as much as i loved zelda/metroid/etc in the past i would never have time to play the newer ones. I'm not a fan at all of sports games since hockey 95 for the genesis or baseball stars for the nes

thanks for any info.
jason
Old 10-22-04, 10:35 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Mario Kart Doubledash vs Kart 64 (and other multiplayer game suggestions)

Originally posted by schlitz100
I'm not a fan at all of sports games since hockey 95 for the genesis or baseball stars for the nes
Not a big sport game fan....GC is for you!

Other multi player games .... Maybe those Mario Party games....I've never played them....but it's up to like Mario Party 5 ....so i guess people are buying it.
Old 10-22-04, 11:25 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

As a huge fan of MK64, I have to say that MKDD is a very worthy sequel. Other multiplyer games you should check out:

Gamecube:
Wario Ware Mega Games
Smash Bros. Melee
Puyo Pop
Super Monkey Ball
Mario Party
Pac-Man Vs./Pac Man World 2 (if you have one GBA)
Old 10-22-04, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 911 Likes on 646 Posts
DD is worthy, but still doesn't have the same exact magic that 64 does. I think it is because the courses are too wide and pretty generic.
Old 10-22-04, 01:06 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

The GameCube is the best system for non-sports, non-online multiplayer. I second all of the suggestions above. "The Legend of Zelda: The Four Swords" is probably one of the best multiplayer games of all time, but you have to have multiple Game Boys to play it. The sixth incarnation of Mario Party will be coming out in a few weeks. It's a great series and if you like MK64 you'll love the minigames. Warioware is great, frenetic fun as well.

I like MKDD, but it's not as addictive as some of the previous incarnations of the series. Still, with four people, it's a lot of fun and a worthy sequel.

Last edited by BeckysBoy; 10-22-04 at 01:10 PM.
Old 10-22-04, 01:24 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

thanks for the suggestions. I'll check out those games.

Any good multiplayers for the n64? Since i already have that and 4 controllers i would like to get a few more of those if they are out there.

Mario Party 1-3 is for N64, which one is the best? (or worst to avoid

Last edited by schlitz100; 10-22-04 at 01:42 PM.
Old 10-22-04, 02:02 PM

Well, the first one involved a lot of violent twirling of the analog stick, which led to thousands of broken controllers and a slew of complaints, so Nintendo removed that control scheme from the game in subsequent versions. So unless you want to run the risk of your buddies trashing your N64 controllers, I'd go with MP2 or MP3.

I've got MP4 for the GCN and have played MP5. The fourth one's probably better. MP5 added some arbitrary elements that are kind of neat at first but get very tedious after a few rounds. There's good advance word on MP6 and it comes with a nifty microphone peripheral that will be used in the minigames, so that should be cool.
Old 10-22-04, 03:11 PM
Cool New Member

why does the cube have no sports games?
Old 10-22-04, 06:26 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by giafunk
why does the cube have no sports games?
They all SUCK! GC controller was designed for Nintendo first party games...not sport games.
Old 10-22-04, 06:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
schlitz100 I would suggest you check out Beetle Adventure Racing for the 64. You can probably find it online for dirt cheap. I thought the multiplayer aspect of this game was a flippin blast to play. The battle mode was awesome! The straight up racing was really great too.

It's been awhile so my memory is a bit hazy, but I did love that game and must of put at least 100 hours into it.

Here are some reviews for you to check out. The neoseeker one compares it to Mario Kart. I cannot rec this game enough.

ETA: One thing that may be bad about the game in your case is that there are no codes to unlock all the battle arenas or tracks. You have to actually win the races to unlock the stuff as far as I know. This is bad because the races can get REALLY tough.

Last edited by boredsilly; 10-22-04 at 06:41 PM.
Old 10-22-04, 07:12 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I agree, double dash isn't a patch on mariokart 64. So I wouldn't buy a gamecube just for that one game, you will only end up disappointed.

On the n64 I always thought f-zero was excellent for 4 players but it has a bit of higher learning curve than mk64.
Old 10-23-04, 10:00 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 911 Likes on 646 Posts
Originally posted by schlitz100

Mario Party 1-3 is for N64, which one is the best? (or worst to avoid
1 is the best. Hands down. Everything after that is garbage. The boards were simplistic and fun to get around, multiple times, and the mini games were more original and fun. EVEN the ones with the twirling. The fishing for treasure chests and the tug of war are classic. Those are the ones my friends and I had the most fun with. The button masher games are less fun, b/c the same person would always win. At least with this control who wins was up in the air.

The newer MP games focus on bigger more complex boards and that is where I think they suffer. They lost that 'board game' feel after the first one.
Old 10-23-04, 11:17 AM

Originally posted by Get Me Coffee
They all SUCK! GC controller was designed for Nintendo first party games...not sport games.
That's a matter of opinion. The GCN has most of the same sports titles as the other systems (including all of the EA sports titles). If you're primarily used to using a PS2 controller, yeah, switching to the GCN controller is going to be awkward, but the reverse is also true. I'm primarily a GCN player and I find it very difficult to play with the PS1/PS2 controller and find the Xbox controller (especially the original one) virtually useless.

And on the GCN you don't have to deal with load times and jaggies, so NYAH!

Of course, this is all moot because the gentleman said he had no interest in sports titles anyway.

Last edited by BeckysBoy; 10-23-04 at 11:31 AM.
Old 10-23-04, 11:24 AM

Originally posted by Michael Corvin
1 is the best. Hands down. Everything after that is garbage. The boards were simplistic and fun to get around, multiple times, and the mini games were more original and fun. EVEN the ones with the twirling. The fishing for treasure chests and the tug of war are classic. Those are the ones my friends and I had the most fun with. The button masher games are less fun, b/c the same person would always win. At least with this control who wins was up in the air.

The newer MP games focus on bigger more complex boards and that is where I think they suffer. They lost that 'board game' feel after the first one.
I'm not a big fan of the button mashers either, but they only make up 10-15% of the mini games at most. My favorites in the old school ones were the bumper balls. The newer ones are more nuanced, especially in the cooperative games. I love the ones where pairs race through a mini-dungeon and have to hit staggered switches to help each other across different obstacles.

And I don't mean to suggest that the analog stick isn't used in the newer MP's. It is. A lot. Just not in a way that would encourage you to put your palm on it and whip it around as hard as you can.
Old 10-23-04, 03:15 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Double Dash is awesome, god we play that game for hours.

Super Monkey Ball 1 or 2 are also good favorites for multiplayer.

And if you have the equipment, Zelda Four Swords is the best multiplayer game i have ever experienced.
Old 10-23-04, 10:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

As far as the Mario Karts go i would say that Double Dash has much better racing but Mario Kart 64 has much better battle mode. The original Mario Kart still has the best of both but is only 2 players. If Nintendo was smart they would tweak the original Mario Kart to make it 4 players and put it on a bonus disk for the next Mario Kart.
Old 10-23-04, 11:38 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by Puzznic
As far as the Mario Karts go i would say that Double Dash has much better racing but Mario Kart 64 has much better battle mode.
My thoughts exactly. I like the play variations they added to the Battle Mode for DD, but the stages aren't as fun for some reason. Plus I hate that you can't be the bomb! Such a little thing, but it added so much fun for the quickly departed.
Old 10-24-04, 02:44 AM

Originally posted by Puzznic
As far as the Mario Karts go i would say that Double Dash has much better racing but Mario Kart 64 has much better battle mode. The original Mario Kart still has the best of both but is only 2 players. If Nintendo was smart they would tweak the original Mario Kart to make it 4 players and put it on a bonus disk for the next Mario Kart.
That's a pretty good assessment. The Battle mode is pretty skimpy in DD for some reason. I really enjoy the race courses (and it's VERY challenging to use the shortcuts), but it bugs me that if you're in the lead you're guaranteed to get pounded by everyone behind you because it gives you better items the farther back you are.

Last edited by BeckysBoy; 10-24-04 at 02:51 PM.
Old 10-24-04, 10:52 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Some "must own" multiplayer N64 games are:

Smash Bros.
Mario Party 3
Mario Tennis
Old 10-24-04, 01:51 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Super Smash Bros. Melee is my favorite multiplayer game ever.
Old 10-25-04, 03:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I agree with the above comments. DD has great races (worth the $50 we bought it for and more!!), but the battle mode blows. The battle mode on MK64 was lots of fun.

Super Monkey Ball is also great for multiplayer, and a fun (although very frustrating) single player mode. Either 1 or 2. It's all about the Monkey Target
Old 10-26-04, 01:12 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 954 Likes on 662 Posts
I really don't understand all the "dislike" for MKDD I think it is the best one yet. The courses are incredible and the multiplayer is great with the option of some non drivers (great when you have the GF or whatever casual gamer that doesn't want to drive). The battle modes are awesome, especially since they go beyond the simple deathmatch mode. You must try the bob omb mode. It is a wholly superior game to MK64.

Some other must have multiplayer:
Super Monkey Ball 1 & 2
Final Fantasy Chrystal Chronicles (adventure, needs GBA for multiplayer)
Wario Ware
Super Smash Bros
Mario Golf (I know it's sports but more arcade sports)

Others/upcoming:
F-Zero (couldn't really get into it)
Donkey Konga (played demo, bought it, haven't opened it yet waiting for Thanksgiving get together)
Metroid Prime 2
LotR (not exclusive)
Mario Tennis (cannot wait for this one)
PacWorld (got it haven't played it yet)

Remember the Toys R Us deal this weak 10/24