Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

will the Office Special DVD be edited together?

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-04, 09:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm watching it air now on the BBC, and they've edited the two Christmas episodes together. They cut out the closing credits at the end of the first one, so the final shot feels weird, because it's supposed to be a stinger, and there's an abrupt transition between the two episodes.

If the DVD is gonna be like this, as opposed to as two seperate parts, I think I'll order the R2. Call me anal about "artist's original intent", but ...
Old 10-23-04, 09:03 PM

I have a copy of the check disc, and they aren't edited together. Each part has its own end credits and is individually launched from the menu.
Old 10-24-04, 12:45 PM

So I'm a little confused. I had always heard that there were two Christmas specials (which is what you guys are now confirming for me, thanks.) But I was always under the impression that the first special supposedly aired between Seasons 1 and 2, then the second special aired after the series finale. Is this true?

If so, then I don't understand why the currently airing BBC double-bill version begins with David Brent after his redundancy. Wouldn't that be strictly post-Season 2?
Old 10-24-04, 01:10 PM
Banned

no; the two specials were AFTER season two
Old 10-26-04, 11:04 AM

no; the two specials were AFTER season two
Ahhh, okay. Now it makes sense to me. Thanks, UKingdom.

Just curious, but how did the first special end? Where is the break between the two?
Old 10-26-04, 11:27 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Count de Monet
Just curious, but how did the first special end? Where is the break between the two?
If you've watched it on BBC-America:

Spoiler:
The end of the first episode is David, dressed as Austin Powers, alone backstage. The proper version then runs the credits, and then the stinger is the slightly wider shot of David-as-Austin, looking even sadder. If you watch it on BBC-A, it's a really obvious jump cut followed by a quick fade to black. The next shot is in the office again, with no real transition (the opening titles and music belong there), and then it's David and Gareth talking to the camera

It'll really stick out to you, knowing where to look.
Old 10-26-04, 10:04 PM
Banned

ugh.

too many drugs.

i thought the thread title said "will the Office Space Special DVD be edited together."
Old 10-27-04, 01:04 AM

Thanks, TGG. I know exactly what you're talking about. Man, what a downer way to end a Christmas special! At least the end of the second special makes up for it.