Best Sellers
The Longest Day
Buy: $54.99 $24.99
DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : How hard is it to pull up carpet?

Patrick G
10-21-04, 07:00 PM
My little chihuahua has been using a corner of our living room as a toilet lately, and I want to pull up the carpet in that corner, seal the floor underneath, replace that section of pad, lay the carpet back down & then have it cleaned. My question is, how easy is it to pull up the carpet in the corner (and how do I do it), or should I just have a professional do it? Don't they stretch the carpet when they lay it down? I just don't want to run into a situation where when I try to lay it back down, it doesn't reach all the way to the corner. I've never pulled up carpet before. Please advise! Thanks. By the way, if it makes a difference, the house is 3 years old and it's frieze carpet.

I'm also open to any better ideas for treating the affected area.

damn_skippy
10-21-04, 07:19 PM
Do you know how to pull the backing off a sticker?

Preacher
10-21-04, 07:21 PM
Pulling carpet is a lot harder than eating carpet.

Patrick G
10-21-04, 07:21 PM
Originally posted by damn_skippy
Do you know how to pull the backing off a sticker?
Not one this big.

Patrick G
10-21-04, 07:23 PM
Originally posted by Preacher
Pulling carpet is a lot harder than eating carpet.
No Hijacking!

damn_skippy
10-21-04, 07:37 PM
Just grab the corner and pull it back.

Sdallnct
10-21-04, 07:52 PM
Really not that hard. However, if it is just a small area, I'd see if the people that clean the carpet can do it for you. Would be a small "minimum" charge.

Tact stips are a pain - literally, so if they don't charge much ($100 or so), I'd let them do it.

Preacher
10-21-04, 07:57 PM
Originally posted by Patrick G
No Hijacking! :lol:

kvrdave
10-21-04, 07:57 PM
Much easier than pushing it.

Actually, just pulling up a corner is easy.

Patrick G
10-21-04, 07:59 PM
Originally posted by Sdallnct
Really not that hard. However, if it is just a small area, I'd see if the people that clean the carpet can do it for you. Would be a small "minimum" charge.

Tact stips are a pain - literally, so if they don't charge much ($100 or so), I'd let them do it.
How would the logistics of this work though? I mean, I need to seal the floor underneath, and this would need several hours to dry. And would the pros do it all (pull the carpet back, seal it, replace the pad, and clean the carpet)?

bryce0lynch
10-21-04, 08:23 PM
I've carpeted two small rooms myself and done the pet stain thing to a very large room (although I didn't lay the carpet in that room.)

Pull back the carpet, roll it if possible and you're doing a large area. If it's a small portion then just pull it up. If you are near a doorway or threshold then be VERY carefull; sometimes installers do strange things in doorways or where two carpets meet.

Remove the pad section. Cover the area with a pet odor/stain remover tha uses enzimes. Dry the area and then do it again, and then one more time. Make sure it dries completely each time. You may nee to open windows and/or get some fans blowing to help it dry and remove any foul odors.

Go buy a gallon of Kilz primer. Not the latex stuff, get the real nasty origional oil Kilz. Put two or three coats on the area. Place new pad underneath and then replace the carpet. You can use a putty knife where it hits the walls to help fold it down and under. If you are replacing a larger section then you will need kick stretchers to get the carpet tight. You can d oit yourself, but I left that to the guys laying my new carpet (it was beyond saving.)

Sdallnct
10-21-04, 08:27 PM
How would the logistics of this work though? I mean, I need to seal the floor underneath, and this would need several hours to dry. And would the pros do it all (pull the carpet back, seal it, replace the pad, and clean the carpet)?

What are you sealing with? What type of flooring is it (under the carpet and pad)?

Generally the carpet company can do it all for you. They peal back the carpet, cut out some pad, spray some anti-microbial spray, piece in some pad, work the carpet back onto the strips and clean the carpet. Should take a pro less then 15 minutes if it is only a few square feet like you say (not including the cleaning).

Now if you you are talking about sealing the sub floor for odor control, then what I would do is peal it back, cut out the pad, do your sealing. Then let the carpet company put everything back and clean. This happens a lot when someone has a pipe leak only with a much larger area.

Do beware if your dog has been doing this for a while, it is very possible it will not clean. But probably worth a shot before replacing the entire room.

Patrick G
10-24-04, 03:49 PM
If I've got concrete under the pad, how would I seal it, if I still need to?

tcoursen
10-24-04, 04:29 PM
After all of this work and sealing, do you have a plan for keeping the dog from going there again? That is his/her spot so he will go right back to it, even if the scent is gone, no?

Patrick G
10-24-04, 04:32 PM
Originally posted by tcoursen
After all of this work and sealing, do you have a plan for keeping the dog from going there again? That is his/her spot so he will go right back to it, even if the scent is gone, no?
Yes, we're going to place something in that spot and confine her to a smaller area when we're gone.

Sdallnct
10-24-04, 06:28 PM
If I've got concrete under the pad, how would I seal it, if I still need to?

In general you would not "seal" the concrete in this case. There are some reasons to seal concrete, but don't think this would be one of them.

After pulling everything back, make sure the concrete is good and dry and let the carpet people spray some anti-microbial or anti-mold stuff. That would dry quick and should get rid of any odor.

Michael Ballack
10-24-04, 07:34 PM
Once you get the carpet started, I found it very easy to rip put the rest. I just did it about 3 weeks ago to my room(carpet was disgusting me with the stains). I had a very neat hard wood floor under it. :)

tommy28
10-24-04, 07:52 PM
This thread reminds me of "winter bush"

Sdallnct
10-24-04, 08:33 PM
Originally posted by Michael Ballack
Once you get the carpet started, I found it very easy to rip put the rest. I just did it about 3 weeks ago to my room(carpet was disgusting me with the stains). I had a very neat hard wood floor under it. :)

That is always a nice surprise. Was it a lot of work to get he hardwood back in good shape? Fill in the tack strip wholes? Sand, seal, buff, stain?