Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

The DVD Talk Review for Garfield is way too harsh

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-04, 11:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Okay, I just got through watching it. I picked it up as a blind buy. I didn't think it was nearly as bad as the review. In fact, I kind of enjoyed it. It wasn't the greatest movie, but that review is a little harsh. I think the reviewer forgot to take his meds or something. Anyway, maybe it helps that I've been a Garfield fan for a long time. What are other people's opinions?
Old 10-21-04, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 373 Likes on 267 Posts
This probably belongs in the review forum or the feedback forum. If you're looking for people to discuss the quality of the film itself, it goes in the movie forum.
Old 10-21-04, 12:28 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,893 Likes on 1,244 Posts
Re: The DVD Talk Review for Garfield is way too harsh

Originally posted by Novasonic
It wasn't the greatest movie, but that review is a little harsh. I think the reviewer forgot to take his meds or something.
Just because we disagree doesn't mean I have some sort of chemical imbalance. I don't think the review is incredibly harsh, personally.
Old 10-21-04, 12:31 PM

1-1/2 stars, the worst movie of the year, can you honestly say it was that bad man?
Old 10-21-04, 12:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 328 Likes on 245 Posts
The only problem I have with Adam's review is that he put too much effort into writing a review about a totally dismissable film.

I agree, it's pretty much a disaster...but perhaps not the worst film I've seen this year (I did sit through Van Helsing and The Village, after all.)

The idea that a "kid's movie" (or a movie from any genre, for that matter) should be treated less critically than a Speilberg or Scorcese flick has always bothered me. It's either a good movie or a bad movie - you don't get bonus points just because your target audience is younger.

As Adam pointed out:
Iron Giant: Good kid's movie
Garfield: Bad kid's movie
Old 10-21-04, 12:39 PM

What's with all the Van Helsing bashing? The movie is not that bad people. geez
Old 10-21-04, 12:40 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

The star ratings are pretty arbitrary, but using 2.5 as the average and my opinion that Garfield is considerably below average, 1.5 stars sounds about right.

I wouldn't say it's the worst movie I've seen all year, but it's really, really far down there. Here is a list of all the movies I've recommended skipping this year.
Old 10-21-04, 12:42 PM

I bet you and Shannon are the type of people that think Lost In Translation is a good movie.
Old 10-21-04, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

I did like Lost in Translation, actually.

I wouldn't characterize myself as some sort of stodgy, uptight, elitist reviewer, and if you look at some of the other reviews I've written, I don't think you'd come away with that impression either.
Old 10-21-04, 12:51 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

I bet you and Shannon are the type of people that think Lost In Translation is a good movie.
::

Stop you're killing me!
Old 10-21-04, 12:56 PM

Originally posted by Adam Tyner
I did like Lost in Translation, actually.

I wouldn't characterize myself as some sort of stodgy, uptight, elitist reviewer, and if you look at some of the other reviews I've written, I don't think you'd come away with that impression either.
Well, just looking at that first page, at least you recommended Explorers and Batman: The Animated Series.
Old 10-21-04, 12:57 PM

Having and expressing your opinions is one thing. Critising opinions of others and making statements like
is another. You are entitled to your opinions just as much as someone else is entitle to his/hers.
Old 10-21-04, 01:01 PM

Well, it's not really an opinion. Lost In Translation really is a crappy movie.
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Van Helsing!
DVD Talk Legend

Incorrect.
Old 10-21-04, 01:03 PM

Van Helsing may not have been the greatest movie, but it was still better than that trash. What's worse is that I bought Lost In Translation on a blind buy and I'll regret it for the rest of my life now. I mean what could you possibly like about that movie. Nothing happens at all. I was hoping at least that they would end it the way I thought, but no, they couldn't even do that right.

Last edited by Novasonic; 10-21-04 at 01:06 PM.
Old 10-21-04, 01:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Let's see..

Van Helsing is 23% fresh at RT.com, 16% from esteemed critics.

"There are bad movies, then there are really bad movies — and Van Helsing is even worse than that."

"This moronic abomination is not a movie. It's just a noisy, nasty and repulsive video game-slash- theme-park haunted-house ride designed to appeal to the offspring of warlocks and trolls."

"I lost more brain cells watching this film than with the alcohol I consumed trying to forget about it."

Lost in Translation is 94% fresh, 97% from the cream of the crop.

Interesting.
Old 10-21-04, 01:08 PM

So... have you thought of maybe "Garfield" and "Van Helsing" to Adam is "Lost in Translation" to you.
Old 10-21-04, 01:10 PM

No and PixyJunket's opinion doesn't matter. I just realized she hates Family Guy. I don't see how LiT could be 97% fresh, that whole movie was bullshit.
Old 10-21-04, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts
Haven't seen the movie, don't plan to, but I would like to say this about the review:

This gave me a chuckle:
"Garfield is easily one of the worst movies I've seen this year, and if you've happened to look at the types of movies I typically review, that's saying a lot. "

And this is very expressive phrasing:

"The difference is that Music's Garfield sounded disinterested, in keeping with the character. For the movie, Murray himself sounds disinterested, phoning it in for a seven-figure paycheck. "

OP: All reviews are inherently objective. Different people do have different tastes, and that makes the world go round. When I read a review of a dvd, movie, or game, I try to see not if the reviewer liked/disliked it, but *why* they liked/disliked it. Things they like, I might dislike, and vice versa. As long as a reviewer tells me why his opinion is what it is, I almost actually prefer to read negative reviews first--I like to prepare for the worst, and hope for the best. Plus, negative reviews are more likely to be funny : )
Old 10-21-04, 01:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts
Re: The DVD Talk Review for Garfield is way too harsh

Okay, I just got through watching it. I picked it up as a blind buy. I didn't think it was nearly as bad as the review. In fact, I kind of enjoyed it. It wasn't the greatest movie, but that review is a little harsh. I think the reviewer forgot to take his meds or something. Anyway, maybe it helps that I've been a Garfield fan for a long time. What are other people's opinions?
Having seen it in the theatres with my kids, I fully back Adam's review, except for one thing.

With its scenes of animal abuse, I think it is somewhat repulsive and probably not even suitable for children.

Saddest thing is that while watching the movie, my four-year-old laughed once. The seven-year-old never laughed. And, yet, while leaving the movie, both asked how long it would be until they could have it on video.
Old 10-21-04, 01:25 PM

Re: Re: The DVD Talk Review for Garfield is way too harsh

Originally posted by TheAllPurposeNothing
Saddest thing is that while watching the movie, my four-year-old laughed once. The seven-year-old never laughed. And, yet, while leaving the movie, both asked how long it would be until they could have it on video.
Old 10-21-04, 01:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Mark your calendars: October 21, 2004.

The day that Novasonic realized that different people -- gasp! -- have different opinions.

And, Novasonic, I tend to give a lot more credit to the opinion in the Garfield review (which is well thought out and goes into detail about the flaws and how the are detrimental) rather than your 'that whole movie was bullshit' comments.

If you're going to throw stones at other's reviews/opinions, at least learn to be able to back up yours intelligently.

I'm not saying that it is impossible to defend Garfield and Van Helsing while simultaneously bashing Lost in Translation (although I have my doubts). I'm just saying that you aren't doing a particularly convincing job of it.
Old 10-21-04, 01:28 PM

Originally posted by dtcarson
OP: All reviews are inherently objective. Different people do have different tastes, and that makes the world go round. When I read a review of a dvd, movie, or game, I try to see not if the reviewer liked/disliked it, but *why* they liked/disliked it. Things they like, I might dislike, and vice versa. As long as a reviewer tells me why his opinion is what it is, I almost actually prefer to read negative reviews first--I like to prepare for the worst, and hope for the best. Plus, negative reviews are more likely to be funny : )
Couldn't say it better myself.
Old 10-21-04, 01:31 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

No and PixyJunket's opinion doesn't matter. I just realized she hates Family Guy. I don't see how LiT could be 97% fresh, that whole movie was bullshit.
PixyJunket is dude. I don't agree with him on Family Guy, but I have found him to be a source of good entertainment critique for a few simple reasons:

-He says that a lot of the anime out there is shitty and any fanboy trying to defend it is just lying.
-Strong support for Married...With Children. Perhaps one of the greatest "low brow" comedies, ever.
-Doesn't mince words with other judgement of entertainment.

My point is, just because someone doesn't agree with you 100% doesn't mean they lack insight or have a psychological problem.

Oh, and Lost in Translation is a film 1000x better than Garfield.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.