DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : MLB scheduling silliness

cdollaz
10-21-04, 08:37 AM
Apparantly the World Series is going to start on Saturday. So, Boston will get an extra day to rest their starters and set up their starting pitching. This is just unfair and stupid. I can understand if a team finishes off a series early, then they have earned the right to have extra days off, but in a situation like this year, when both LCS go the same number of games, it is stupid for one team to have an advantage going into the WS. In a situation like this, they should either rearrange the schedule so that:

1. Both leagues have a game 7 of their LCS on the same day, or

2. Start the WS a couple of days later so that both teams will have time to set their rotation.

It really is in the best interest of MLB to have the best pitchers from each team in the WS available and rested. No one wants to see scrubs pitch because the best pitchers didn't have enough time to rest up for the beginning of a series.

twikoff
10-21-04, 08:40 AM
meh

Red Dog
10-21-04, 08:53 AM
shrug

neiname
10-21-04, 09:04 AM
Actually I think Houston started the Division series a day later which probably benefited them. In my opinion I would much rather have an extra day rest before the best of 5 division series than the (if we make it) best of 7 world series.

AndyCapps
10-21-04, 09:39 AM
Depending on who is used out of the bullpen tonight, the Cardinals have their starters lined up just fine. It's not MLB's fault that the Wild Card went down to the wire so instead of having the luxury of setting up their postseason rotation, the Astros had to bust ass to get into the playoffs.

Deftones
10-21-04, 09:49 AM
I think there's more than just giving the teams days off that goes into this. There is still ticket sales, getting the vendor organized. I don't it's MLB's fault that the Sox get an extra day's rest.

B.A.
10-21-04, 10:02 AM
IIRC, the Sox practically played an extra game against the Yankees if you add up all of the extra innings. I think they have earned the extra days rest. :)

namja
10-21-04, 10:34 AM
blah ...

Having both leagues to have a game 7 of their LCS on the same day won't solve anything. What if the Yankees won in game 5? Then they'd be getting a lot of rest (but not too much rest) and the winner of the NLCS will have no rest.

Teams really shouldn't complain about getting no rest. They could avoid that by winning the series more quickly.

cdollaz
10-21-04, 10:45 AM
Originally posted by namja
blah ...

Having both leagues to have a game 7 of their LCS on the same day won't solve anything. What if the Yankees won in game 5? Then they'd be getting a lot of rest (but not too much rest) and the winner of the NLCS will have no rest.

Teams really shouldn't complain about getting no rest. They could avoid that by winning the series more quickly.

You didn't read my original post very well. I said that if a team in one league wins in less games than the team in the other league, then they have EARNED extra rest. However, both teams will have played in a game 7 and one team will have an extra day rest for no reason.

fumanstan
10-21-04, 12:03 PM
I think MLB scheduling has always been pretty bad.

Y2K Falcon
10-21-04, 12:42 PM
I think the dumber part was nine inning games routinely ending after midnight, and there being so much overlap, and having to "switch to FX" to follow games. If I was a swing-shifter, relying on a recording to catch the end of a scheduled game, and they moved the game to another channel, I would not have been pleased.

But given the known parameters of the schedule (then adjusted by rain) it's up to a manager to decide how best to approach:

- the upcoming game to increase the team's chances for a win
- secondarily, being prepared for a next series as best possible.

reservoirdog
10-21-04, 04:15 PM
Originally, wouldn't the ALCS team would have gotten two days off....but there was a postponement due to rain.

Y2K Falcon
10-21-04, 04:41 PM
Originally posted by reservoirdog
Originally, wouldn't the ALCS team would have gotten two days off....but there was a postponement due to rain.
No. A built-in "travel day" was removed.

Of course, it wasn't that far a trip. :lol:

dvd-4-life
10-21-04, 05:41 PM
It's even dumber that a meaningless exhibition game played in mid-season decides who has home field advantage in the World Series.Best record should always get home field advantage.