DVD Talk
Just saw "The Day After Tomorrow", not bad at all, thread! [Archive] - DVD Talk Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Just saw "The Day After Tomorrow", not bad at all, thread!

OldBoy
10-20-04, 04:37 PM
Pretty good movie. Very surprised actually. Powerful scenes and the DTS during the storm scenes really put the SW to the test.
Some of those images were really shocking and well done. Some of the subplots left a lot to be desired and that final scene is probably one of the worst I have ever seen...really! But overall a lot better than I expected.

Anyone else...

FiveO
10-20-04, 04:56 PM
Only thing that I was disappointed with was:

the wolves....

I bought it....the effects and sound was awesome.

MasterCXtreme
10-20-04, 05:03 PM
Yeah not too bad... a little over the top. But once you got past that... it was enjoyable.

RichC2
10-20-04, 05:18 PM
Greatly disliked it.

Cool effects, grating dialogue and some of the dumbest characters I've ever seen on film.

Boo :(

Kaffe_02
10-20-04, 05:57 PM
Great effects. I like disaster movies so the story line was ok. There were some eye roller dialog moments though.

adamblast
10-20-04, 06:12 PM
Haven't seen it yet, hope to rent it soon, and hope I feel the same way, post!

Jackskeleton
10-20-04, 06:19 PM
It was a good "BLOW UP SHIT" movie. but the story was really lacking. Especially with the stupid wolves. and this if coming from the fox whore. It wasn't terrible, but it wasn't anywhere near good.

Mopower
10-20-04, 06:46 PM
The only reason to see it is for the effects.

PopcornTreeCt
10-20-04, 06:57 PM
Worst movie of the year!! And this is coming from someone who absolutely loves Independence Day.

Get Me Coffee
10-20-04, 07:01 PM
You can't out run the cold! .... that killed it! Well most of the dialog was BAD!

Lateralus
10-20-04, 07:09 PM
I really enjoyed the movie, I don't know why some people hated about it. The only thing I didn't like about it was the wolves and having to walk from Philly to NYC in less than 3 days in a blinding snow storm... RIGHT!!!!

marty888
10-20-04, 09:13 PM
I made a point of seeing this in a theater, and I'm really glad that I did, because the effects were stunning. Lots of plot and character problems, though.

MasterofDVD
10-20-04, 09:31 PM
Originally posted by Lateralus
I really enjoyed the movie, I don't know why some people hated about it. The only thing I didn't like about it was the wolves and having to walk from Philly to NYC in less than 3 days in a blinding snow storm... RIGHT!!!!

I thought it was a pretty good film but certainly not the best disaster movie. What I didn't get...
is how they ended up way out at the Statue of Liberty. Did they have no sense of direction? Why travel so far to the east and make the characters look stupid. If they wanted to show off the statue just cut to shot of it frozen. There was no need for the characters to travel all that extra distance just to show the statue.

tommyp007
10-20-04, 09:40 PM
I liked it. Awesome effects......chilly acting and plot though

Big Worms
10-20-04, 10:51 PM
I loved it! I saw it at the theaters and I was blown away on how good it was. The effects were amazing!

Michael Corvin
10-20-04, 11:21 PM
I thought it was pretty good. I consider ID4 one of the worst movies ever made, so this was a vast improvement over that and Godzilla for Dean and Roland. But they just can't come close to touching the quality of Stargate. It is all about bigger and louder now. Almost like they want to be Michael Bay's understudy.

Brent L
10-20-04, 11:47 PM
I'm shocked that so many at DVDTalk liked this movie.

To me, it was bad...MST3K bad, and everyone in the theater when I was there agreed with me. As a matter of fact, I've never met anyone away from the internet who liked the film at all. I can honestly say that I didn't like a single thing about this film, other than some of the special effects. I almost, but not quite, almost hated it as much as I hated The Village, and that one is my least favorite film ever.

Rubbish, pure rubbish.

It was however a great comedy, so that must count for something.

Kicker_of_Elves
10-21-04, 12:26 AM
This movie and Van Helsing are 2 of the worst summer movies i have ever had the displeasure of sitting my ass down and watching.

thegame370
10-21-04, 03:11 AM
Originally posted by PopcornTreeCt
Worst movie of the year!! And this is coming from someone who absolutely loves Independence Day.

Ditto! Some of the worst dialogue in any movie, ever! Actually i saw it in a packed theater opening day in Manhattan and it was crazy to hear the whole theater laugh at the insanely corny things those characters were saying. Also people were actually running from the cold, thats right, people actually running away from the "Cold" and it stopping in front of a door because there was a fireplace inside, ridiculous!

nightmaster
10-21-04, 06:48 AM
I liked it okay, but it could have been better to be sure. Special effects were great to look at in the theater.

raven56706
10-21-04, 07:01 AM
I thought the movie did what it was supposed to do.... blow stuff up and make it look cool.....

Come on though... walking from philly to nyc... that was stupid.....

And the Wolves....... what the hell was that about

matome
10-21-04, 07:36 AM
Watch it for the effects only, which were pretty good.

So how exactly does an oil tanker make a turn on city streets?

"Just tell her how you feel!"

Charlie Goose
10-21-04, 08:27 AM
Originally posted by thegame370
Also people were actually running from the cold, thats right, people actually running away from the "Cold" and it stopping in front of a door because there was a fireplace inside, ridiculous!
That was indeed the stupidest thing I've seen in a long time.

For some reason that I have not yet been able to indentify, I LOVE scenes of huge tidal waves destroying cities. Why is that?
Once the destruction stopped, the movie keeled over.

matome
10-21-04, 10:05 AM
Originally posted by thegame370
Also people were actually running from the cold, thats right, people actually running away from the "Cold" and it stopping in front of a door because there was a fireplace inside, ridiculous!

Well, seeing the amount of times Fireball got this same coverage, Cold decided it was overdue to demand equal screen time.

resinrats
10-21-04, 10:16 AM
What is the problem with them running from the cold? It was being caused from the eye of the storm. As the eye moved across the building, the inner floors were freezing since they were now within the eye. Do you really think that as soon as the eye begins to cross one cornor of the building, the entire place will freeze instantly at the same time (even parts not in the eye yet)? With the instant freeze that was happening, it would happen like it showed.

OldBoy
10-21-04, 10:25 AM
Originally posted by FiveO
Only thing that I was disappointed with was:

the wolves....

I bought it....the effects and sound was awesome.

totally agree with everything you said here. They were just there to add some extra antagonists and it was just way too far fetched!!

OldBoy
10-21-04, 10:28 AM
Originally posted by Michael Corvin
I thought it was pretty good. I consider ID4 one of the worst movies ever made, so this was a vast improvement over that and Godzilla for Dean and Roland. But they just can't come close to touching the quality of Stargate. It is all about bigger and louder now. Almost like they want to be Michael Bay's understudy.

I don't think Dean Devlin had anything to do with this one. I was surprised, but I didn't see his name anywhere. Produced and directed only by Roland. Usually also produced by Dean, but not this time. Is this partnership over?

OldBoy
10-21-04, 10:31 AM
Originally posted by resinrats
What is the problem with them running from the cold? It was being caused from the eye of the storm. As the eye moved across the building, the inner floors were freezing since they were now within the eye. Do you really think that as soon as the eye begins to cross one cornor of the building, the entire place will freeze instantly at the same time (even parts not in the eye yet)? With the instant freeze that was happening, it would happen like it showed.

I don't think you are correct at all in this assumption. The eye of a storm is usually the calm and no action at all. The storm is when the eye passes and the front and back of the storm come through. The freeze was when the eye past and I think the back or end of the storm was moving in on them. And what do you think it is like a real eye beaming down like a radar gun because that is how you made it sound, it is more a general area of weather I think.

Verbal Gorilla
10-21-04, 10:37 AM
Originally posted by resinrats

Come on. You ever put your hand near a block of ice or right above some boiling water? Or is the temperature surrording those things not affected?

resinrats
10-21-04, 11:09 AM
They said that in the eye of the storm, super cold air was being pulled down freezing everything. Everytime they showed the freezing things, it was right when the eye just arrived. Once the eye passes, the temperature within the storm would be close to the same temperature as the storm across from the eye (whole swirling factor of the storm.

And yes if one part beins to freeze the whole place will not instantly freeze as well. Look at a heater or an air conditioner. Place one at one end if a room. Turn it on for a few seconds. Standing right near the a/c or heat will have a different temperature than the far side of the room. If you have a sensitive thermometer, you will be able to see the temperature change as you get closer to the a/c or heat. The cooler or warmer temperature is making its way across the room and will eventually even out. This is exactly what was happening in the movie just with much colder temperatures.

Green Jello
10-21-04, 11:57 AM
Besides the physics of the cold, -150 isn't nearly cold enough to do the kind of freezing they were showing anyway. I've been outside in -60 and a human has no problem surviving that in the right gear.

They were showing -150 instantly freezing everything in it's path like it was absolute zero or something. They were making the effects like liquid nitrogen was being poured everwhere and that is lower than -320 F.

island007
10-21-04, 03:45 PM
It was ok.

The two things about it I disliked the most were...
teen factor.... and the wolves....

LorenzoL
10-25-04, 08:49 AM
Rented it last night and it hurt.

All I liked about the movie was the special effects. The plot was corny and predictable and the movie science they used was unexplicable. A little bit better than Van Helsing but not by much in my oppinion as the worst movie of 2004.

aintnosin
10-25-04, 11:27 AM
Originally posted by LorenzoL
Rented it last night and it hurt.

All I liked about the movie was the special effects. The plot was corny and predictable and the movie science they used was unexplicable. A little bit better than Van Helsing but not by much in my oppinion as the worst movie of 2004. Pretty much my opinion, but the girlfriend was cute in Natalie Portman-esque way. That always redeems a movie slightly in my eyes.

:eyebrow:

Jeraden
10-25-04, 12:02 PM
I just watched it yesterday, I thought it was pretty good. The wolves were kind of corny, but not that bad. The only part that I really rolled my eyes at was the whole subplot with the lady doctor and the cancer patient. Maybe I'm an unsensitive bastard, but it failed in its attempt to emotionally manipulate me. I found it just stupid that the doctor would stay behind and risk death to sit with the cancer girl.

Also, with all the flooding, tornados, and storms, I'm amazed at how all the land-line phones were still functional.

matome
10-25-04, 12:46 PM
Originally posted by Jeraden

Also, with all the flooding, tornados, and storms, I'm amazed at how all the land-line phones were still functional.

...and able to work underwater!

MasterofDVD
10-25-04, 08:17 PM
Originally posted by Jeraden
The only part that I really rolled my eyes at was the whole subplot with the lady doctor and the cancer patient. Maybe I'm an unsensitive bastard, but it failed in its attempt to emotionally manipulate me. I found it just stupid that the doctor would stay behind and risk death to sit with the cancer girl.

I made a similar comment when I first watched the movie. To me it was a pointless subplot.

Cygnet74
10-25-04, 08:52 PM
Originally posted by Jackskeleton
It was a good "BLOW UP SHIT" movie. but the story was really lacking. Especially with the stupid wolves. and this if coming from the fox whore. It wasn't terrible, but it wasn't anywhere near good. what makes you a whore for Fox?

jaeufraser
10-25-04, 10:18 PM
Originally posted by cygnet74
what makes you a whore for Fox?

He sleeps with Rupert Murdoch. Didn't you know?

Rivero
10-25-04, 11:13 PM
Sorry but this movie sucked the sweat off a dead camel's nuts. imo at least.

taa455
10-25-04, 11:36 PM
It wasn't bad. I can appreciate it for what it was, a far-fetched departure from reality with some cool visual effects.

Jackskeleton
10-26-04, 12:57 AM
Originally posted by cygnet74
what makes you a whore for Fox?

they give me a regular pay check. So whenever I come to the defense of a fox film.... well you get the idea.

Cygnet74
10-26-04, 02:21 AM
they give me a regular pay check. So whenever I come to the defense of a fox film.... well you get the idea. i figured that. i work for a trailer house, actually the biggest trailer house in LA. we did your trailer for Sideways. what do you do at Fox? marketing by any chance?

Jackskeleton
10-26-04, 02:24 AM
nope, not marketing. I'm in the production aspect on 20th television side of it all. Below the line to pin point it.

You should make it out to a Los Angeles DVDTalk meet sometime. There is actually a good number of us who are "in the biz".

Rivero
10-26-04, 02:45 AM
they give me a regular pay check. So whenever I come to the defense of a fox film.... well you get the idea.

You should be a little more objective when debating the merits of a fox film jack, or at least try. it's cool that you work in the business and know shit that others here don't but as far as critiqueing films it can be blatantly obvious when you're letting things "slide".

Cygnet74
10-26-04, 03:09 AM
nope, not marketing. I'm in the production aspect on 20th television side of it all. Below the line to pin point it.

You should make it out to a Los Angeles DVDTalk meet sometime. There is actually a good number of us who are "in the biz".
thanks, i'll keep my eye out for the next announcement.

Jackskeleton
10-26-04, 03:23 AM
Originally posted by Rivero
You should be a little more objective when debating the merits of a fox film jack, or at least try. it's cool that you work in the business and know shit that others here don't but as far as critiqueing films it can be blatantly obvious when you're letting things "slide".

Uh, you do realize that I thought Day after tomorrow was totally laughable. I found it extremely funny that they would even make it. I think Garfield was a piece of cat shit and Taxi was one of the worst films ever... EVER... EVER made. I made all these opinions very clear in their own threads. Just everyone see's me defending a pg-13 rating on AvP and they jump on an image that I'm nothing but a Fox Whore. That and I called I, Robot to be entertaining and not totally worthless like others claimed it was before it was released.

I'm very open to discuss a fox bomb. But considering the year so far, fox is very much in top form and even though those films sucked, they made some sort of profit. So I am very good at giving a good discussion on the matter as a viewer and with a business frame of mind. Also, notice how I panned I <3 Huckabee and was a little on the fence on Napolian Dynomite? two search light films.

Rivero
10-26-04, 04:44 AM
Uh, you do realize that I thought Day after tomorrow was totally laughable. I found it extremely funny that they would even make it. I think Garfield was a piece of cat shit and Taxi was one of the worst films ever... EVER... EVER made. I made all these opinions very clear in their own threads.

Didn't know that, sorry. I figured anyone with half a brain would already know that The Day After Tommorow, Garfield, and Taxi would suck hairy moose balls so I never bothered checking out those threads. I'm continually amazed in this forum at what people actually go out and see, ie: the many detailed negative reviews for Catwoman....

You KNOW this movie was destined to suck......

WHY DID YOU SEE IT????

Jackskeleton
10-26-04, 05:15 AM
ha. I knew Day after tomorrow was going to be laughable. I mean come one.. "Ice fall on jap head!! :LOL: :LOL: " that's comedy. You know when the lead actor says that the lines are not the way people talk, it's not a good sign, even if it's coming out of the mouth of the ego filled Jake.

But DaT was worth a viewing as a half assed pop corn, destruction, summer flick. That is it's only saving grace. That shit blew up and people died. I mean shit, they killed the president and the royal family in one movie. You have to give them props for having some steel balls attached to them. When I picked it up at the studio store the clerk asked me why I was buying it. I told him because I enjoy destruction and a dvd remote comes with a fwd button.

Autotelik
10-29-04, 10:42 PM
I was curious enough to see this as a rental.... but damn what an unsatisfying movie. I thought the type of disaster was original enough, but it had so much unrealized potential. Effects were good. But.... the people were so friggin stupid, and annoying. The dialogue sucked ass, and there just wasn't any tension at all, which is what a disaster movie needs. People doing consistently stupid things (like stand around in the middle of 4-5 different tornadoes, or fly a copter through them, or make the vice prez look like an over-the-top jerk) just doesn't work in this movie.

I loved Deep Impact.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0