Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Rescored HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ME DVD thread. Send feedback to Sony please!

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-04, 02:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

From Wes Ray posted today:

Those with a comment about the audio changes on Happy Birthday to Me can send a polite e-mail to them at...

[email protected]

Worked (somewhat) for our cover art complaints. May work for the score as well. Let them know what you think!

Okay HBTM fans, here's our chance. (It doesn't hurt to be optimistic) The key word is polite but by all means, express your frustration and reasonings while Sony should issue an A) explaination and B) a correct version.
Old 10-20-04, 06:46 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

It might help if you post a link to exactly what the problems are. I don't own the movie and have never seen more than 5-10 mins of it on TV, I am a huge slasher fan and will probally pick it up in the future. Also how did anything "help" the cover art? It sucked to begin with and it still sucks now that it's come out
Old 10-20-04, 06:52 PM

http://www.dvddrive-in.com/reviews/e...hdaytome81.htm

This review is very detailed. But basically the whole score of the film (with the exception of the end credits) is new.
Old 10-22-04, 11:34 AM

Sent two e-mails...one before my review and one after...but have not heard back from them.

They usually respond to this e-mail address, so the fact that they haven't responded regarding this issue leads me to beleive that A) they weren't aware of the problem and are now trying to figure out what to do or B) they are aware of the problem and are choosing (for one reason or another) to remain quiet.

I'll keep everyone posted. Until then, keep sending those e-mails!
Old 10-22-04, 12:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 114 Likes on 82 Posts
Nice work Wes My email is on the way.
Old 10-22-04, 02:15 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think it's tragic myself; still on the fence about buying it.
There was a very nice write-up in the newest issue of Fangoria, however (with no mention of the scoring problems).
Old 10-26-04, 02:00 PM

Any word from Columbia/Sony?

Wes?
Old 10-26-04, 02:42 PM

Nope. They usually respond, so I'm not sure what their silence on this particular issue means.
Old 10-26-04, 05:42 PM

Silence = GUILT
Old 10-27-04, 12:33 AM
Cool New Member

I e-mail them too,no response. MAYBE they are running scared hoping it all just goes away. I mean maybe this mistake is gonna cost them a lawsuit if this score wasn't suppose to be the one used.
Old 10-27-04, 10:06 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Dumb Columbia/Sony. Why spend so much $$$ on producing crap and not doing it right?
Old 10-27-04, 10:51 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

email sent on behalf of my company. hopefully they'll take the time to listen.
Old 11-01-04, 06:35 PM

SONY FINALLY REPLIED TO MY EMAIL WITH SOUNDTRACK COMPLAINTS WITH A SOMEWHAT GENERIC-SOUNDING RESPONSE:

Thank you for your recent inquiry! CTHE is grateful for your feedback and concerns regarding our products.
We will forward this information to our marketing group for future
consideration.

Thank you for your continued patronage.

Columbia TriStar Home Entertainment
Consumer Relations

BOY! THAT EXPLAINS EVERYTHING!
Old 11-01-04, 08:22 PM
Cool New Member

I got that exact same e-mail reply from Col/Tri:^P
Old 11-01-04, 09:55 PM
Suspended

soundtrack region 2

maybe the region 2 might be the original.
Old 11-02-04, 09:49 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I watched it the other night. It was pretty bad music, but it didn't completely destroy the film for me. I still have the old laserdsic with the original soundtrack, though, and I'm keeping it.

That said, the DVD looked great.

A sequel to this film is in development by the original producer. It would be great if they could get Melissa Sue Anderson to do it!
Old 11-04-04, 08:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 114 Likes on 82 Posts
Here's the reply I received from Columbia. They are saying the change was for legal/clearance issues with no plans to re-release.

"Thank you for your recent inquiry.

We are grateful for your feedback and concerns regarding our products.

CTHE is aware of the updated score for "Happy Birthday To Me" which was changed due to legal/clearance issues.

There is no plan to re-release this DVD at this time. However, we will forward your comments and concerns to our marketing group for future consideration.

Thank you for your continued patronage!

Columbia TriStar Home Entertainment
Consumer Relations"
Old 11-04-04, 09:18 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I sorta find that hard to believe. I think CTHV used the wrong print but don't want to admit it. It would be too costly to correct, and is much easier giving consumers an excuse about legalities.

If it was a legal issue, the song at the end still remains, so they could still get in trouble for using it.

Shouldn't the money consumers are paying for the DVD already be going toward any legal clearances?

Some fan ought to create a hybrid version, combining the VHS or Laserdisc audio with the DVD video.

If the Region 2 has the original music; I'm buying it!

Last edited by Disc-Flipper; 11-04-04 at 09:21 PM.
Old 11-04-04, 09:36 PM

Sony's reply is complete Bullsh*t.

Legal/clearance issues? Did Lance Rubin and Bo Harwood (the composers) really make a stink about this and demand money? I hardly doubt it. If they did, then Sony should have A) paid them or B) at least announced on the DVD packaging that there was a new score.

False advertising folks. Period.

This is really upsetting and the biggest DVD letdown I have ever experienced. I easily pay good money for the new widescreen transfer with the old score. Guess I'll have to buy it bootlegged somehow or find out a way to do it myself, as this is one of my favorite films of that era.

BTW, it was confirmed on the horrordvds.com forum that the region 2 disc has the new score in English, but the old score on the German audio track.
Old 11-04-04, 09:43 PM

Nonsense.

If anything, the score they used for the DVD would need clearance issues before the score used on every other single release would.

Very overpriced, disappointing, barebones. I am seriously. Tey charged for a barebones disc for what someone else would harge for a 2 disc uncut special edition.
Old 11-04-04, 11:54 PM

I also don't buy Columbia's explanation.

TWO ACTUAL SONGS were added to the film. The opening song "Out of the Blue" and another song during a dance sequence later in the film.

These new songs are NOT CREDITED on the disc. Anywhere. So these aren't just generic, stock instrumentals which were added that don't require a credit.

I've never been one to be a conspiracy theorist, but I believe in this case Columbia is definitely feeding us a B.S. cover story.

Last edited by Wes Ray; 11-05-04 at 03:36 PM.
Old 11-09-04, 01:38 PM
Suspended

just wondering if theres any info on the region 2 uk being sold at amazon uk. it does have a diffrent artwork..
any help would be appreacited
thanks!
Old 11-10-04, 11:02 AM

Check out what the people amazon.com think of this debacle:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/cus...=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Glad to know there are plenty others who feel the same way we do.
Old 11-10-04, 11:13 AM

Originally posted by Disc-Flipper

Shouldn't the money consumers are paying for the DVD already be going toward any legal clearances?

I think you would be surprised by how much it would cost to clear the music rights in many cases. Thousands of dollars a song, tens to hundreds of thousands in some cases. I don't know the details on this specific one, but music rights issues are one of the biggest causes of keeping films and TV shows from being on DVD.

It was a big problem on video as well. LAST PICTURE SHOW and HEAVY METAL were two of the biggest holdouts. They went for years without being available on VHS because of music rights issues.

With this one, they may have legally had to change the music or pay a price that made it impossible to release to DVD. This isn't THAT popular a title so may not have been worth it for them to pay the rights.
Old 11-10-04, 11:50 AM

I just played the disc yesterday, and that new title soundtrack disco song is pretty awful. I compared it to my old VHS tape, and the old version is much better suited to the film. It felt like I was tuning into FAST TIMES AT RIDGEMONT HIGH or something.

Still, the picture quality was very nice and at least the end tune ("Happy Birthday to Me") was mercifully left intact for the closing credits.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.