Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

What if Dougray Scott was Wolverine, not Jackman?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-04, 02:30 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As you all may know, Dougray Scott was the original choice for Wolverine in X-Men, but he got an injury during Mi2 that led to Jackman getting the part (as a replacement!)...and well, the rest is history.

Jackman's career has skyrocketed and now he's a big time Hollywood player. Dougray has been around, but well, obviously not to the same extent.

Do you think he's kicking himself for not landing the role of a lifetime? Granted, it wasn't in his control...but under other circumstances...

1) Would he be as big as Jackman is now?

and

2) Would Jackman have gotten to where he is today and gotten huge roles in stuff like Swordfish, Van Helsing, etc?

Any other examples where stuff like this has happened? Kind of like in sports when a lower draftpick ends up being huge...imagine being the team that passed on Michael Jordan....
Old 10-20-04, 02:37 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

It's hard to say if Dougray would've seen the success Jackman has seen. I think he would've been a bigger star then he is now, assuming his performance wouldn't negatively impact the quality of the XMen films. It's largely dependant on if he could do the role as well as Jackman did. I don't think he would've had the immediate success though, as Jackman in general seems to be a little more charasmatic. But who knows.

As to whether Jackman would've had the post XMen career, ie leading roles, that I'm pretty sure never would've happend without XMen. That's the reason he got those roles, so he'd still be wallowing in obscurity.
Old 10-20-04, 02:44 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
I always thought it was just because MI:2 ran long, not because of any injury forcing him out. Regardless...

1) Yes

2) No
Old 10-20-04, 03:02 AM
Banned

Funny how life works, isn't it? Jackman got big because some other dude broke his arm.
Old 10-20-04, 04:33 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
For one thing Scott would be getting a hell of a lot more pus$y right now.
Old 10-20-04, 04:43 AM

Received 223 Likes on 148 Posts
Wasn't Tom Selleck supposed to star in "Raiders of the Lost Ark" but couldn't do it because of his commitment to "Magnum P.I."? I'm sure Selleck is still kicking himself in the ass for losing out on that one.

And Eric Stoltz was originally cast as Marty McFly in "Back to the Future" but then replaced by Michael J. Fox.
Old 10-20-04, 04:53 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Originally posted by UKingdom
Funny how life works, isn't it? Jackman got big because some other dude broke his arm.
Looks like he wasn't the right choice then if he couldn't atleast pull off that whole healing factor.
Old 10-20-04, 08:31 AM

In my opinion, Scott would have bombed as Wolverine...thank God for that injury!! His acting (or overacting) in MI:2 was absolutely horrible!!
Old 10-20-04, 08:49 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts
I think Dougray Scott is a decent actor, but for the life of me I just don't think he could have pulled off the role...at all.
Old 10-20-04, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts
Dougray would have been fine in the role...but wouldn't have the appeal that Jackman has had. In fact, James Marsden may be the real loser in all this...he would have probably emerged more popular as Cylops without Jackman stealing all the scenes as Wolverine.

As for Selleck and "Raiders" - I think both Tom and Harrison Ford made out quite nicely. "Raiders" would have been a much different movie if Selleck had been in the lead - there's no guarantee it would have been as popular.
Old 10-20-04, 12:29 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Jackman was born for the role. Anyone that can pull off Wolverine despite being well over 6 ft. tall is quite an accomplishment. He seems to have the skills to have a legit career without the role, but it would have never taken off to this extent. Dougray wouldve had more roles if he landed Wolverine, but not as many as Hugh IMO.

This reminds me of the success that Tom Brady (2 time SuperBowl winning quaterback) has recieved which is based solely on an injury by Drew Bledsoe. Brady might still be on the bench.
Old 10-20-04, 02:30 PM

I just checked out some pics of Dougray and his face looks a lot more like what I'd think Wolverine would look like. He has piercing eyes and and more menacing face. That said, I think Jackman makes up for that with incredible charisma and screen presence. He's instantly like-able, even as a bad-good guy.
Old 10-20-04, 03:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Of course Dougray Scott's life would've been different if he got to play Wolverine, that role was a guaranteed route to success, but it's okay, now he gets to play Bond, it might not guarantee him success, but it does assure him of fame.
Old 10-20-04, 04:28 PM

Originally posted by UKingdom
I was under the impression he had to pass on the Wolvie role because Mission Impossible 2 ran over in its schedule, therefore creating a scheduling conflict and making them switch actors to Jackman.
Old 10-20-04, 05:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally posted by jaeufraser
I was under the impression he had to pass on the Wolvie role because Mission Impossible 2 ran over in its schedule, therefore creating a scheduling conflict and making them switch actors to Jackman.
If I remember correctly, MI2 did run long...part of the reason being that Scott broke something (some have mentioned arm, but I thought it was foot/leg).

So both camps maybe partly correct.
Old 10-20-04, 05:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts
Okay, it goes like this:

Scott was the original choice for Wolverine but M:I2 ran long so the second choice, Jackman, was contacted. Then everything on M:I2 was back on schedule so Scott was able to be WOlverine again. Then Scott injured his back in an accident during the filming of the big motorcycle chase in M:I2. Jackman was called back and shot all his scenes at the last minute (it was decided to go ahead with filming around the Wolverine character until they had an actor) and was even out of shape during the whole shoot except for the cage fight scene which was the last scene he did.

Now Jackman is a big star. Scott would have been okay as Wolverine so I don't believe he would have been as big a success as Jackman became but Scott would definitely have a better carreer than he does now. And Jackman would not have been as reckognized as he is now unless he would have landed in another big picture shortly after missing his shot in X-Men.
Old 10-20-04, 09:58 PM

Received 808 Likes on 525 Posts
Originally posted by joeydaninja
Of course Dougray Scott's life would've been different if he got to play Wolverine, that role was a guaranteed route to success, but it's okay, now he gets to play Bond, it might not guarantee him success, but it does assure him of fame.
Dougray's climbing into the shows of 007? When was that announced?
Old 10-21-04, 08:58 PM

Originally posted by Goldberg74
Dougray's climbing into the shows of 007? When was that announced?
It hasn't been. His name has just been bandied around along with every other bloke with an accent, included Hugh Jackman.

I'd wait for an official answer before declaring anyone the official Bond.
Old 10-22-04, 06:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The problem is that Jackman nailed the part.....it's his and he seems born to play it, that being said it's now hard to imagine Scott as Wolverine.

As for Selleck being Indy, I don't think we would have wound up seeing a series had he gotten the part, and I'm a Selleck fan. It would have turned into something very close to High Road To China, and while moderately popular it certainly didn't break any BO records. Sellleck makes a GREAT cowboy.....I'd love to see them put him in a vehicle that really gives him the credit he deserves for such.
Old 10-23-04, 10:34 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
Originally posted by Perkinsun Dzees

And Eric Stoltz was originally cast as Marty McFly in "Back to the Future" but then replaced by Michael J. Fox.
hell, they filmed half the movie with him and then changed their minds.

Jackman like said has charisma and a film prescene. He can be charming on minute and viscious the next. I don't think the two movies, much less a spinoff would have occerred with DS as wolvie centerpiece. They would have focused on another character.