Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Home of the Brave: A Film by Laurie Anderson?

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Home of the Brave: A Film by Laurie Anderson?

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-04, 09:48 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is Home of the Brave: A Film by Laurie Anderson Out on Disc?

Home of the Brave: A Film by Laurie Anderson http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0091216/

I wonder if anyone has heard about a release of this film on DVD. I'd be interested in any zone. This film is of course well known by any Laurie Anderson fan. I've seen her in concert a number of times. I was introduced to her work from a trailer when I went to see Stop Making Sense back in the mid 80s.

Having just picked up SMS, it reminded me that I have not seen Home of the Brave in any market.

Thanks in advance.
Jim

Last edited by FaustBos; 10-20-04 at 04:41 AM.
Old 10-19-04, 12:34 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Way back in 1999, when I first got a DVD player, I started one of these threads, and I've contributed to every '"Home of the Brave" on DVD?' thread I've seen since.

This is a film that needs to be on DVD. Why it isn't, after all these years, is a real puzzlement.
Old 10-19-04, 03:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Dang it, I thought this was an announcement thread! I would have thought it was a "Cool New Memeber" when I saw it was a question and the thread didn't have the obligatory question marks.

I would like this movie and season sets of Alive...From Off Center, which also featured quite a bit of her work.
Old 10-19-04, 05:01 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Hey... I think I remember you from the last "where the hell is 'Home of the Brave' on DVD?" thread!
Old 10-20-04, 01:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
In somewhat related topic, I was renewed for my interest in Alive From Off Center (which was hosted by Laurie Anderson) and did a search online for this show to see if it was on DVD. I found individual film makers had their works available on their one website. One such site was from John Sanbord and Mary Perillo. They have their video available in various formats, for rental or for sale. What floored me were the prices...and for a 40 minute video. Check it:

Old 10-20-04, 04:42 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

hey guys, woops, sorry for title confusion. Been a while since I posted :-) I've changed it to a question.
Old 10-20-04, 05:56 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

In somewhat related topic, I was renewed for my interest in Alive From Off Center (which was hosted by Laurie Anderson) and did a search online for this show to see if it was on DVD. I found individual film makers had their works available on their one website. One such site was from John Sanbord and Mary Perillo. They have their video available in various formats, for rental or for sale. What floored me were the prices...and for a 40 minute video. Check it:
These are exhibition rental fees for theaters or public/commercial screenings where tickets are to be sold. It's not like this is available for rent at home. I worked at film festivals for some years and I know, first-hand, you can negotiate these prices. But, again, it's not like renting a blockbuster video.

As for Home of the Brave... it would be interesting to see on DVD. So many concert videos are so damn boring, but this is truly a performance piece!
Old 10-20-04, 06:46 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by slowcloud
As for Home of the Brave... it would be interesting to see on DVD. So many concert videos are so damn boring, but this is truly a performance piece! [/B]
Exactly my feelings. What prompted this was a viewing of Stop Making Sense. I actually learned about Laurie from that film. It was preview from the Stop Making Sense screening, oddly I also remember the pre film music playing in the theater was Rachmaninov Piano Concerto #2. Odd the things you remember.

Anyway, I was blown away by the HOTB trailer that I rushed out to buy the LP, and subsequently Disc, and Video and see Laurie in concert no less than 4 times over the years.

I consider HOTB a must have.
Old 10-20-04, 10:33 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Does anyone know who holds the rights to a potential DVD release? Is "Home of the Brave" currently available on any format?
Old 10-21-04, 09:55 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I have a VHS but I bought this some time ago. Looks as though it may be out of print thought. On Amazon they are only selling used copies starting at $60. I found a few LaserDiscs on Ebay as well, one being a Japanese import. What I find interesting is that there were no VHS on Ebay. Laurie does have a strong loyal following. I wonder what the problem is. I hope she's not anti DVD or something like that.