Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

plasma or LCD?

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-04, 09:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
plasma or LCD?

I was just curious. Which is considered to be better, plasma or LCD televisions? Definitely curious to to see how people respond.
Thanks,
Charlton Conine
Old 10-19-04, 10:59 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
I say Plasma. I've always found the colors to be brighter and sharper, not to mention that technically speaking, Plasmas have a much better black level (which probably contributes to the above).
Old 10-19-04, 01:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,259 Likes on 837 Posts
Plasma if you have the $$$. Otherwise, aside from LCD, you also have to consider DLP and D-ILA. Each technology has it's own advantages/drawbacks so there is no "better" here.
Old 10-19-04, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

plasma.

i assumed you meant non-rear projection tvs.
Old 10-19-04, 04:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

If plasma's were not better performers than LCDs why would anyone buy them when they sell for much higher prices?
Old 10-19-04, 04:42 PM
X
Administrator

Received 154 Likes on 124 Posts
Originally posted by namlook
If plasma's were not better performers than LCDs why would anyone buy them when they sell for much higher prices?
Because they're generally bigger?
Old 10-19-04, 04:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I was thinking if the LCD and Plasma are the same screen size.

Are we talking rear-projection LCD or not? The original post does not specify.
Old 10-19-04, 05:20 PM
X
Administrator

I'm not sure there's an LCD bigger than 37".

Is there a plasma that small?

[Yup. Looks like there's a 37" Panasonic - http://www.plasmatvbuyingguide.com/l...dtvreview.html. The plasma's cheaper but the LCD has much better resolution.]

Another comparison of plasma and LCD: http://www.plasmatvbuyingguide.com/p...ma-vs-lcd.html
Old 10-19-04, 05:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Well it looks like there is clearly no definitive answer which is better. Both have their strengths and weaknesses.
Old 10-20-04, 12:01 PM
Jim
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by namlook
If you compare similar sized plasmas and LCDs, plasmas are generally much less expensive. There are only a handful of LCDs 37" and larger.

Plasmas are brighter than LCDs, have better blacks, and better viewing angles. The new LCDs will have a much denser pixel structure than the plasmas so that you can be closer to the display. LCDs are also lighter, use less energy, and typically run cooler. I have a plasma, but I think if LCDs can solve the fast motion problem they seem to have they would be a great choice. I was watching some football on a nice looking 40+" LCD a weekend or two ago at Magnolia Audio/Video and was surprised how much I liked what I saw; however, I did see several instances where it didn't seem to be able to keep up with the fast motion occurring in the game and I couldn't live with that right now on the primary TV in the house.
Old 10-20-04, 01:59 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
LCD doesn't burn in.
Old 10-20-04, 04:16 PM
2017 TOTY Winner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You cant (shouldnt) play video games on a plasma screen.

Qualifier-- not unless its LESS than an hour or so at a time.
Old 10-21-04, 09:36 AM
AOD

Re: plasma or LCD?

Originally posted by charlton2
I was just curious. Which is considered to be better, plasma or LCD televisions? Definitely curious to to see how people respond.
Thanks,
Charlton Conine
IMHO, neither. You should broaden your options and look into DLP or D-ILA as previously stated. D-ILA is slowly gaining speed and DLP is just exploding right now with TV manufacturers. I have friends who have gotten Plasmas for the "cool factor" in the begining, but when you can't get the CNN ticker off the bottom of your $6,000 TV, you might get kinda mad. The smaller LCD tv's would make a good bedroom or kitchen tv because of the size factor. I guess it all depends on your needs and wants. Ultimately it will be your decision, no matter what any of us tell you. Just IMHO of course.

Last edited by AOD; 10-21-04 at 09:44 AM.
Old 10-21-04, 02:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally posted by Save Ferris
You cant (shouldnt) play video games on a plasma screen.

Qualifier-- not unless its LESS than an hour or so at a time.
We play them on my plasma and leave that damn Tivo screen on for many hours at a time.

NO VISIBLE BURN IN.
Old 10-21-04, 02:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by X

[Yup. Looks like there's a 37" Panasonic - http://www.plasmatvbuyingguide.com/l...dtvreview.html. The plasma's cheaper but the LCD has much better resolution.]

Another comparison of plasma and LCD: http://www.plasmatvbuyingguide.com/p...ma-vs-lcd.html
Many of the major manufacturers make 32" plasmas. ie Sony, Hitatchi etc
Old 10-21-04, 02:57 PM
2017 TOTY Winner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Youve got to be kidding. You might be lucky with yours but it couldnt be a recommended practice to play video games for 4-5 hour stretches at a time. Bright power bars, symbols, HUDs are static on the screen that whole time.

I would love to believe the technology is there to allow for this, but everything leads me to believe that you're lucky if it dosnt cause burn in and that the screen isnt made for it.
Old 10-23-04, 12:26 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Save, I read a lot of the studies and reviews on Plasma, specially over at avsforums. From my reading, the concerns over burn in seemed over rated. From my experiences, I concur.
Old 10-24-04, 04:15 PM
Banned

I believe Plasmas have a better refresh rate. Can anyone confirm or deny?
Old 10-24-04, 09:35 PM

neither, they both suck. the picture is never clear on flat panel screens. don't give me "you haven't seen a high quality one yet" becuase i've seen plenty and they all suck
Old 10-25-04, 12:39 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I would not say that!Plasma and LCD are selling a lot in Tokyo.The latest have so much resolutions and are plain amazing to see the DVD's in them.Panasonic and Pioneer is leading the pack but SONY,Hitashi,Toshiba are closing the gap.

The latest LCD screens from Sharp is superb also!Giving Plasma TV a run for it's money
Old 10-25-04, 10:46 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts
Originally posted by X

What about LCD projection sets?

Panasonic makes a whole like of them: http://www2.panasonic.com/webapp/wcs...tGroupId=11254
Old 10-25-04, 01:10 PM
X
Administrator

Originally posted by Deftones, Esq
What about LCD projection sets?

Panasonic makes a whole like of them: http://www2.panasonic.com/webapp/wcs...tGroupId=11254
I didn't think that was germane to the discussion as the original question was about plasma or LCD televisions and there aren't any plasma projection sets.
Old 10-26-04, 02:21 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by RandyC
Save, I read a lot of the studies and reviews on Plasma, specially over at avsforums. From my reading, the concerns over burn in seemed over rated. From my experiences, I concur.
i agree.
Old 10-26-04, 02:34 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 42 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally posted by tek2k
neither, they both suck. the picture is never clear on flat panel screens. don't give me "you haven't seen a high quality one yet" becuase i've seen plenty and they all suck
Spoken by someone who probably owns a 13" Sanyo TV and Betamax VCR.
Old 10-28-04, 03:55 PM

In regards to the burn-in comments, I play hours of gaming on my plasma and have never had an issue. Note the newest commercial Panasonic plasm, the 7UY series, states in it's user guide that it has burn-in resistance at the same level of a CRT.

On an LCD note, I own a 20" lcd that has burn-in. Regardless of what any "experts" say, there is definte burn-in from my windows task bar, showing faint after-images of my bar and icons. I tried to "reverse" this by using an all white screensaver, background, and moving my task bar, but there has been no positive change in the burn in.

Any phosphor based technology does come with the risk of burn-in, so calibrating your unit properly is a must.

I don't believe either technology (LCD/Plasma) is better than the other on a whole. Each have their pros and cons.

-JR