DVD Talk
Shark Tale - Worth watching? [Archive] - DVD Talk Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Shark Tale - Worth watching?

j123vt_99
10-18-04, 08:36 PM
did a search, but surprised to not see anything... was just curious what was thought of Shark Tale... I enjoyed Shrek, Ice Age, Toy Story.. etc.. I heard it was kind of copy of Finding Nemo which I also enjoyed. Worth seeing in the theater or only for young kids?

Jackskeleton
10-18-04, 08:44 PM
well, considering your past enjoyments, I don't see why it wouldn't be on your list to watch.

j123vt_99
10-18-04, 08:53 PM
curious if other people enjoyed the list i mentioned, but hated shark tale

Originally posted by Jackskeleton
well, considering your past enjoyments, I don't see why it wouldn't be on your list to watch.

Saxofonix
10-18-04, 09:20 PM
I went to see Shark Tale last week with my 11-yr old daughter. And we were both iffy about the movie. When I asked her afterwards what she thought about the movie, she simply said, "it's okay". And that pretty much sums it up for me as well.

It's not on the same level as Shrek or the other movies you mention, and it most definitely isn't a Finding Nemo.

There are two main problems for me ...
- the main character is a constant asshole. So you never empathise with him and your emotional involvement in the story is minimal.
- I dislike 'ghetto'. The language, the style and the culture. Shark Tale was mostly 'ghetto'.

Two redeeming points ... both Jack Black and Robert De Niro were great in their roles.

Rivero
10-18-04, 09:32 PM
Worth watching if you've got absolutely nothing to do at the current moment, you've received a free ticket, you won't have to pay for parking and you've just won the lottery.

sdk
10-19-04, 06:17 AM
Originally posted by Saxofonix
I went to see Shark Tale last week with my 11-yr old daughter. And we were both iffy about the movie. When I asked her afterwards what she thought about the movie, she simply said, "it's okay". And that pretty much sums it up for me as well.

It's not on the same level as Shrek or the other movies you mention, and it most definitely isn't a Finding Nemo.

There are two main problems for me ...
- the main character is a constant asshole. So you never empathise with him and your emotional involvement in the story is minimal.
- I dislike 'ghetto'. The language, the style and the culture. Shark Tale was mostly 'ghetto'.

Two redeeming points ... both Jack Black and Robert De Niro were great in their roles.

uff i hate ghetto, but i will still watch the movie. But that is mostl'y for mr. De Niro

Giles
10-19-04, 09:23 AM
I could be crass and mean to this movie, but I thought this was a terrible disappointment, for starters Dreamwork's "let's follow the leader - Pixar, and do a fish animated film" reeks of sheer lack of creativity. Not one of the characters in my mind was remotely interesting - they were all cliches and sickening stereotypes. The humour was very forced - the sushi gag was the only thing I laughed at. The story was painfully predictable and I almost nodded off. Even the animation was lacking and unexciting. The trailer for Robots though - wow! go get'em Fox Animation.

j123vt_99
10-19-04, 10:25 AM
what about i heart huckabees? any reviews of that? deciding between the two for tongiht

Giles
10-19-04, 10:42 AM
Sharks and/or I Heart Huckabees - :hscratch: ... make it a blockbuster night.

Rivero
10-19-04, 01:36 PM
Originally posted by j123vt_99
what about i heart huckabees? any reviews of that? deciding between the two for tongiht

I <3 Huckabees in a flash.

Jepthah
10-19-04, 10:26 PM
Dreamworks would have to pay me to watch this piece of fish poop.

From the trailers alone it encapsulates just about everything I hate in animation at this moment: stupid 'adult' anachronism jokes, stunt voice casting, ugly character and visual design, lame pop songs.

The fact it has been #1 for 3 weeks is depressing but unsurprising.

Fok
10-19-04, 10:46 PM
hmmm apart from Shriek and Final Fantasy, Pixar are the only CG movies I've bought.

Panda Phil
10-20-04, 02:20 AM
To me, this thing pretty much screamed 'Sucks!' as soon as I saw the trailer.

For some reason it keeps reminding me of another animated crapfest of a couple of years ago. Something about animated cartoon germs? (Can't remember the damn title)

Jay G.
10-20-04, 04:29 PM
Osmosis Jones
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0181739/

Giles
10-21-04, 09:15 AM
Originally posted by Jepthah

The fact it has been #1 for 3 weeks is depressing but unsurprising.

the masses are suckers for crap like this...

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0