Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Question about Best Buy Preorder

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-04, 07:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question about Best Buy Preorder

I am thinking about preordering GTA: SA from Bestbuy due to the fact that I have some Reward Zone certificates, along with a $5 off gamers coupon. I've seen the pre-order cards that they have in the video game section where you can take it up to the cashier and pay $5 to pre-order the game. If I didn't have the coupons I'd just get it from EB.

The only time that I did this was with Madden 2005. However, when I went into the store on the release day the customer service counter was busy handling returns and such. So I walked to the game section and found a copy that I took to checkout, along with my preorder receipt. They pointed be over to the Customer Service counter. After waiting for about 15 minutes, they rang up my purchase. However, they didn't say anything about having a copy held due to my preorder? This got me wondering if they do in fact hold a copy or just leave you to fend for yourself?

Any one ever preorder at Best Buy or work there that could explain how they handle preorders?
Old 10-18-04, 08:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,937 Likes on 1,498 Posts
Why preorder at all? I'm pretty sure that GTA:SA will release in sufficient quantities that BB won't sell out in a day. Otherwise, you have the added hassle of having to go to the customer service counter (which is ALWAYS busy) and waiting for them, instead of checking out the normal way. Also, most BB's will let you pricematch at the counter, and almost assuredly someone will have a loss-leader price on this game the week of release. I can't imagine the hassle of having to get your preorder (meaning your five bucks off) along with the five dollar gamer card, price matching, and then deducting your Reward Zone certificates.

I realize I didn't exactly answer your question, and I apologize for it. Just wondering what the benefit was...
Old 10-18-04, 09:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by fujishig
Why preorder at all? I'm pretty sure that GTA:SA will release in sufficient quantities that BB won't sell out in a day. Otherwise, you have the added hassle of having to go to the customer service counter (which is ALWAYS busy) and waiting for them, instead of checking out the normal way. Also, most BB's will let you pricematch at the counter, and almost assuredly someone will have a loss-leader price on this game the week of release. I can't imagine the hassle of having to get your preorder (meaning your five bucks off) along with the five dollar gamer card, price matching, and then deducting your Reward Zone certificates.

I realize I didn't exactly answer your question, and I apologize for it. Just wondering what the benefit was...
Acutally you came much closer to the same logic I had while posting my original question. While I realize that this game won't be in short supply, my local BB seems to be completely brain dead when dealing with large scale releases as they typically sell out early and I have to go across the street to EB or CC. Thus the consideration of doing a pre-order at Best Buy. However, I may just take my chance and see if I can get a copy on Tuesday. If not, I'm sure I can wait a few days to get it. Also for what it's worth (very little) Best Buy offers an additional 3,000 reward zone points for doing the preorder.
Old 10-18-04, 11:54 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,226 Posts
Actually as I remember it, GTA VC was hard to come by for a couple of weeks. I'm lucky enough to have a local BB that's almost never busy, but at most stores, I'd bet their allotment of 100-200 copies of GTA : SA will be gone pretty quickly as the demand will be so high. Ditto Halo 2
Old 10-20-04, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by Spy021
Acutally you came much closer to the same logic I had while posting my original question. While I realize that this game won't be in short supply, my local BB seems to be completely brain dead when dealing with large scale releases as they typically sell out early and I have to go across the street to EB or CC. Thus the consideration of doing a pre-order at Best Buy. However, I may just take my chance and see if I can get a copy on Tuesday. If not, I'm sure I can wait a few days to get it. Also for what it's worth (very little) Best Buy offers an additional 3,000 reward zone points for doing the preorder.
Those 3000 points are worth even less now that they raised the number of points needed to get a 5 dollar gift certificate "because of customer demand"

When VC came out, I don't remember having much trouble finding it. Of course, I think it came out on the week of the TRU sale, so any sane person would check there first. At the very least, you should be able to go at lunchtime or after work on that same day and get a copy... I don't anticipate that they'll be sold out in the morning...
Old 10-20-04, 04:00 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Decker
Actually as I remember it, GTA VC was hard to come by for a couple of weeks. I'm lucky enough to have a local BB that's almost never busy, but at most stores, I'd bet their allotment of 100-200 copies of GTA : SA will be gone pretty quickly as the demand will be so high. Ditto Halo 2

most are actually getting between 300-500 copies of GTA
Old 10-20-04, 09:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 243 Likes on 178 Posts
Originally posted by fujishig
Those 3000 points are worth even less now that they raised the number of points needed to get a 5 dollar gift certificate "because of customer demand"

WTF i didnt even know about that,what a bummer.
Old 10-21-04, 10:32 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by Maxflier
WTF i didnt even know about that,what a bummer.
See the thread in the store forum:
http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...ht=reward+zone

"As of October 3, 2004, you'll need 15,000 points, or just $150 in eligible purchases, to receive a $5 reward certificate. We've made this change based on member feedback and Best Buy's desire to continue to bring you this affordable and popular program."

member feedback indeed...