Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Monster Man?

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-04, 03:13 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 223 Likes on 148 Posts
Monster Man?

I'd never heard of this movie "Monster Man" until I saw the DVD at Best Buy a couple of days ago (and thought it looked like a "Jeepers Creepers" ripoff), but the DVD Talk reviewer gives it Five Stars in every category but Video (where it gets 4 stars). Even the Star Wars trilogy DVD didn't get as high an overall rating as this DVD.

Monster Man Review

Is this for real? Has anybody else seen this DVD and agrees with this reviewer?

Last edited by Perkinsun Dzees; 10-18-04 at 03:16 PM.
Old 10-18-04, 03:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
I've never heard of it either, but it definitely sounds like something I need to check out!
Old 10-18-04, 06:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I saw it at Hollywood video and almost rented it, maybe ill go back and check it out.
Old 10-18-04, 06:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I thought the movie was crap, but let me get into this.

Now I'm a fan of the films Michael Davis has brought to the world. I was a huge fan of Eight Days a Week and 100 Girls, but when 100 Women rolled it's way to DVD, I was severely upset. With 100 Women, Davis took all the heart that Eight Days a Week and 100 Girls had and threw it out the window in exchange for some toilet humor (that was fairly hit and miss).

Monster Man doesn't know if it wants to be a horror film or a teen sex comedy with gross out humor. The film is a complete mixture of Eight Days A Week, 100 Girls, 100 Women, Duel, Joy Ride, The Texas Chainsaw Massacre, and Wrong Turn. You think that might be a good thing, but it's not.

Within the first few minutes of the flick, we have references to Davis' past efforts (via bits of dialog or songs played on the radio) which I enjoyed. But as the film's first act continues on, it feels more like his previous efforts just put on a road trip.

Once the film continues on, the gross out humor is played out more when the film starts to find it's sense of the horror genre, but the audience is treated to such gags that include gloryholes, drinking feces, and characters that end up fingering and "eating out" dead animals. While I'm a fan of vulgar humor, the humor here just isn't funny. Throw in a monster truck that is chasing the lead characters, and if it feels the movie is ripping off Duel and Joy Ride.

By the film's third act, the film turns into a terrible Texas Chainsaw Massacre slash Frankenstein slash Wrong Turn parody that is just too freakin' bizarre and completely out of the left field when compared with the first two acts of the movie. Then again, the second act doesn't even fit in right with the film's first or third act. Same thing about the first act.

This film, plain and simple, has no sense of direction or what it wants to be. It's sad, because I really wanted to love this movie.

If you want a good horror comedy, see Shaun of the Dead or Club Dread... not this film...
Old 10-18-04, 07:33 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 913 Likes on 773 Posts
Originally posted by Matthew Chmiel
I thought the movie was crap, but let me get into this.

Now I'm a fan of the films Michael Davis has brought to the world. I was a huge fan of Eight Days a Week and 100 Girls, but when 100 Women rolled it's way to DVD, I was severely upset. With 100 Women, Davis took all the heart that Eight Days a Week and 100 Girls had and threw it out the window in exchange for some toilet humor (that was fairly hit and miss).

Monster Man doesn't know if it wants to be a horror film or a teen sex comedy with gross out humor. The film is a complete mixture of Eight Days A Week, 100 Girls, 100 Women, Duel, Joy Ride, The Texas Chainsaw Massacre, and Wrong Turn. You think that might be a good thing, but it's not.

Within the first few minutes of the flick, we have references to Davis' past efforts (via bits of dialog or songs played on the radio) which I enjoyed. But as the film's first act continues on, it feels more like his previous efforts just put on a road trip.

Once the film continues on, the gross out humor is played out more when the film starts to find it's sense of the horror genre, but the audience is treated to such gags that include gloryholes, drinking feces, and characters that end up fingering and "eating out" dead animals. While I'm a fan of vulgar humor, the humor here just isn't funny. Throw in a monster truck that is chasing the lead characters, and if it feels the movie is ripping off Duel and Joy Ride.

By the film's third act, the film turns into a terrible Texas Chainsaw Massacre slash Frankenstein slash Wrong Turn parody that is just too freakin' bizarre and completely out of the left field when compared with the first two acts of the movie. Then again, the second act doesn't even fit in right with the film's first or third act. Same thing about the first act.

This film, plain and simple, has no sense of direction or what it wants to be. It's sad, because I really wanted to love this movie.

If you want a good horror comedy, see Shaun of the Dead or Club Dread... not this film...
your awesome review makes me want to see it even more!!
Old 10-18-04, 08:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Just starting it now... Ill give my review in 90 mins or however long it is.
Old 10-18-04, 10:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Hehe, its definitely a direct to video type horror flick. Its silly, somewhat gory, and it has a cute chick in it who imitates Yoda while having sex... I would give it a 3 out of 5. worth a rent but not to buy unless you really like slapstick horror.
Old 10-19-04, 07:37 PM

I thought it was fun. You can tell the people who made it were trying to make something better than the average direct to video crapfest.
Old 10-19-04, 09:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

and they did make something better than the average direct to video crapfest. I enjoyed it more the second time. The commentary is interesting too
Old 10-25-04, 07:44 AM

Give this another thumbs up !!

I'm not so sure I agree with the dvdtalk review in terms of dvd audio video quality but the movie itself is a solid 4 start effor.

Don't let the cheesy cover fool you...rent/buy it now !! I just ordered mine.
Old 10-25-04, 08:42 AM

from the review:
"Before long, they’re being stalked by a mysterious black hearst."

Did William Randolf Hearst have an African-American liaison? Interesting if he did, and a shame Orson Welles never learned of it... would have made Citizen Kane even more controversial!