DVD Talk
Paul W.S. Anderson scripting a new "Aliens" film (no predators) [Archive] - DVD Talk Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Paul W.S. Anderson scripting a new "Aliens" film (no predators)

Seantn
10-18-04, 11:40 AM
UK Teletext reports that British director Paul W. S. Anderson ("Alien vs. Predator", "Resident Evil") is to write the sixth movie in the "Alien" franchise, according to sources close to the film maker.

Newcastle-born Anderson, 39, has apparently been asked by Twentieth Century Fox to pen a new script featuring the creatures on their own (ie. no Predators). Whether that includes the return of Ellen Ripley (Sigourney Weaver) however is unknown.

The offer for the moment is simply to pen the script, not to direct as such although that may happen thanks to the success of AVP.

TylerDurden_73
10-18-04, 12:00 PM
Worst News Evar!!!!!!!!!111

MSD
10-18-04, 12:06 PM
Please no! AVP was just pathetic, one of the worst movies i've seen.

ruk
10-18-04, 12:09 PM
already listed here

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=341382&perpage=25&pagenumber=2

Seantn
10-18-04, 12:10 PM
Good for that thread....

That's not a specific thread about THIS topic, about Paul W.S. Anderson writing the film.

DRG
10-18-04, 12:13 PM
Originally posted by TylerDurden_73
Worst News Evar!!!!!!!!!111

In other news, George Romero has been removed from the production of Land of the Dead, the fourth entry in his Living Dead series. The decision was made due to a clash over the rating, as the studio changed their position after pre-poduction had begun and insisted on a PG-13 film. Romero will be replaced by European director Uwe Boll, director of House of the Dead and the upcoming Alone in the Dark. Boll also plans to rewrite the script to accomodate the newly added cast members, rapper Nelly and pop singer/reality show star Ashlee Simpson.

(j/k)

darqleo
10-18-04, 12:25 PM
Why god.... why?

RocShemp
10-18-04, 01:15 PM
Originally posted by DRG
In other news, George Romero has been removed from the production of Land of the Dead, the fourth entry in his Living Dead series. The decision was made due to a clash over the rating, as the studio changed their position after pre-poduction had begun and insisted on a PG-13 film. Romero will be replaced by European director Uwe Boll, director of House of the Dead and the upcoming Alone in the Dark. Boll also plans to rewrite the script to accomodate the newly added cast members, rapper Nelly and pop singer/reality show star Ashlee Simpson.

(j/k)

Thank heavens that's only a joke but in this day and age.... A little too close to reality for comfort. *shudders*

jaeufraser
10-18-04, 02:30 PM
Um...ok. let's see...before AvP the rumor was that James Cameron and Ridley Scott wanted to both produce another Alien film. Then...AvP comes out. And PWSA gets to make it. And it sucks. And now they're...offering him an actual Alien movie? God help us!!! Fox, wtf is wrong with you!

Supermallet
10-18-04, 03:00 PM
There's nothing wrong with Fox. AvP was a success. PwsA wrote and directed it. Thus, Fox sees PwsA + Aliens = $$$$. This is hard to understand? :confused:

jaeufraser
10-18-04, 03:07 PM
Originally posted by Suprmallet
There's nothing wrong with Fox. AvP was a success. PwsA wrote and directed it. Thus, Fox sees PwsA + Aliens = $$$$. This is hard to understand? :confused:

Had AvP not been a terrible movie, it probably would've been able to crack 100 million dollars. PWSA has made disparaging remarks about the studio blaming them for the movie sucking. Remember, AvP had a 78% second weekend drop. Genre films are known to drop harder, but that's AWFUL. Lastly, the movie sucked and is very obvious as such. But I guess the point is, AvP didn't make money because of PWSA, it made money based on the strength of the franchises. For Fox to not understand that means, well, they're idiots. That 78% drop is courtesy of PWSA, as are those negative remarks so...yeah, if I were them I'd be dropping him like a brick and hiring new talent to keep these franchises going.

Nonetheless, I believe a better film will often times yield...better box office. AvP showed there's still interest in the franchise, but the movie blew.

Lastly, I don't think we as the consumer consider commercial business reasoning a valid excuse. Sure, that's why they make those decisions, but that's why we have internet boards...to bitch about the bad decisions made by the money grubbing studios. Otherwise, we could just excuse every single bad movie made as long as it makes a profit. But that's not fun.

Jackskeleton
10-18-04, 03:43 PM
NNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOO

Kant
10-18-04, 04:06 PM
Bye bye great film by Ridley scott and Space Jockys!
No this is not happening! No this is not happening...continues for a few hours,...

PixyJunket
10-18-04, 04:10 PM
Excellent. :lol:

Trigger
10-18-04, 05:05 PM
Originally posted by Jackskeleton
NNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOO MUAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA :lol:

Supermallet
10-18-04, 05:13 PM
Okay, I can see why they think PwsA=$$$ in this instance.

Alien: Resurrection cost $70 million, and made $47 million in domestic box office. AvP cost $65 million, and made almost $80 million in domestic box office.

Jackskeleton
10-18-04, 05:14 PM
.... We all lose.

Rivero
10-18-04, 05:15 PM
Anderson is a dead man. Mark my words.

PixyJunket
10-18-04, 05:33 PM
Originally posted by Rivero
Anderson is a dead man. Mark my words. What are you going to do, insult him on the internet? Add a $ to his name? :lol:rotfl:lol:

Jackskeleton
10-18-04, 05:44 PM
Ok, three offices done. I still haven't found who green lighted this, but I did make the guy pay who thought Garfield and Taxi was a good idea.

No worries about security. when they were called I told them this news and they are now helping me.

It's only a matter of time before I figure out who's fault this is.

darqleo
10-18-04, 05:48 PM
Rainer Wolfcastle: "My new movie is me, standing in front of a brick wall for 90 minutes. It cost 80 million dollars to make."

Jay Sherman: "How do you sleep at night?"

Rainier Wolfcastle: "On top of a pile of money, with many beautiful women."

http://us.ent4.yimg.com/movies.yahoo.com/images/hv/photo/movie_pix/columbia_pictures/resident_evil/_group_photos/michelle_rodriguez5.jpg

dom56
10-18-04, 05:57 PM
Maybe we get to see Milla Jovovich kick some Aliens butts with her pulse rifle. :)

BT
10-18-04, 06:16 PM
NNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOO

In space no one can hear you scream.

theneobez
10-18-04, 06:23 PM
Can't wait.

Supermallet
10-18-04, 06:29 PM
Originally posted by BT
In space no one can hear you scream.

:lol: :up:

El-Kabong
10-18-04, 06:53 PM
Mah - whatever. The franchise is dead to me now, with AvP being the final stake through the heart. So go ahead, get Paul Anderson to direct, with Uwe Boll to produce and Freddy Prinze as the lead.

It no longer matters.

Kumar J
10-18-04, 08:57 PM
Will Scooby Do also be in there? ;)

Kicker_of_Elves
10-18-04, 10:09 PM
Aww god damn it...

:(

UAIOE
10-19-04, 03:48 AM
The series ended with the end credits of "Aliens"

Thats my story and I am sticking to it!

nightmaster
10-19-04, 08:34 AM
Ridiculous. They DO know better than to do this. Just because Anderson writes the script doesn't mean Sigourney will sign on if its a piece of garbage....Weaver's participation ups the box office by LOTS of those $$$$.

LorenzoL
10-19-04, 08:45 AM
Originally posted by darqleo
Rainer Wolfcastle: "My new movie is me, standing in front of a brick wall for 90 minutes. It cost 80 million dollars to make."

Jay Sherman: "How do you sleep at night?"

Rainier Wolfcastle: "On top of a pile of money, with many beautiful women."

http://us.ent4.yimg.com/movies.yahoo.com/images/hv/photo/movie_pix/columbia_pictures/resident_evil/_group_photos/michelle_rodriguez5.jpg

LOL, the best use of a Simpsons quote by far.

Razor Ramon
10-20-04, 05:23 AM
Further down the spiral we go. We still have Alien and Aliens though. PWSA cant take that away. Well, he can rip scenes off.

Hopefully, instead of resurrecting the same formula, he'll tap into the unused idea that the first two had. That.... umm... "W" company... capturing a few of the aliens and using them.

Jackskeleton
10-20-04, 06:08 AM
He had the perfect chance to link AvP with a potentail alien film but he wasted the whole Weyland industries connection in AvP by killing off ol' Weyland so early on leaving no real connection. A shame really.

Trigger
10-20-04, 06:20 AM
ol weyland was dead for the first 4 Alien movies and it didn't seem to stop him from being in some of em.

Dr. DVD
10-20-04, 08:02 AM
Goody. :(

ruk
10-20-04, 08:06 AM
this really sucks

shill66
10-20-04, 10:36 AM
Excellent.

To the haters: HA ha!

Jackskeleton
10-20-04, 01:21 PM
Originally posted by Trigger
ol weyland was dead for the first 4 Alien movies and it didn't seem to stop him from being in some of em.

only problem with that is we never knew why or how weyland knew about these creatures enough to want to send a crew after them. Now we still don't know and we saw him alive. If they gave him half a chance to spread the word to a partner or make it out alive, we would realize why to some degree. Now we just think the guy has a robot built for him because he died mysteriously decades ago.

UAIOE
10-20-04, 04:16 PM
Wait...where was Weyland in the "Alien" movies?

Are you talking about a single guy or the corporation?

And when in the timeline does AvP take place? Sometime between 1997 (Predator 2) & 2125-ish (Alien)?

(No i havent seen AvP)

Jackskeleton
10-20-04, 06:30 PM
time line goes like this

Predator (1987)-> predator 2 (1997)---> AvP (2004) Alien (2122) -->aliens (2179)

Weyland Yutani industries are the ones who picked up the signal and in a sense is "the company". They also terraformed the colonies on LV-426(aliens). You can see the Weyland mark in the buildings and other spots throughout Aliens.

The funny thing is that a space traffic control station is established in Antarctica in the mid-late 21st century. You would think that P.W.S.A would try to follow some continuity in the series.

MahatmaPetey
10-20-04, 06:41 PM
why would anyone think that?

Jackskeleton
10-20-04, 06:46 PM
think what?

MahatmaPetey
10-20-04, 06:51 PM
that he would try to follow some continuity in the series. I was just too lazy to quote you so my post would make sense.

wolverine1028
10-20-04, 07:23 PM
sad, sad day...

Jackskeleton
10-20-04, 07:35 PM
Originally posted by MahatmaPetey
that he would try to follow some continuity in the series. I was just too lazy to quote you so my post would make sense.

Because he is actually connecting the company to this being the first contact with the xenomoprhs. This seems to be why "the company" has the addiction to find this perfect weapon. Why the Ash was programed to bring back a sample of this perfect weapon back on the nostromo. Why they answered the disstress signal in the first place. Weyland, also being the person Bishop was modeled after was suppose to be there for a reason. That is why he was suppose to, or for my money, would make sense to follow some continuity to the series. Because If he was going to use a character from the other series, he should do it right.

UAIOE
10-21-04, 02:16 AM
time line goes like this

Predator (1987)-> predator 2 (1997)---> AvP (2004) Alien (2122) -->aliens (2179)

AvP takes place in this year? hmmm

Weyland Yutani industries are the ones who picked up the signal and in a sense is "the company". They also terraformed the colonies on LV-426(aliens). You can see the Weyland mark in the buildings and other spots throughout Aliens.

I know this, but I asked about the comment that Weyland himself was somehow in the "Alien" movies.

If he is dead by the time "Alien" rolls around then how can *HE* (not his company) be in the later (timeline wise) films?

The funny thing is that a space traffic control station is established in Antarctica in the mid-late 21st century. You would think that P.W.S.A would try to follow some continuity in the series.

Where was this mentioned?

Jackskeleton
10-21-04, 03:11 AM
I know this, but I asked about the comment that Weyland himself was somehow in the "Alien" movies.

If he is dead by the time "Alien" rolls around then how can *HE* (not his company) be in the later (timeline wise) films?

Weyland industries = "the Company". So in alien, and for the most part in aliens as well, it's only refered to as "the Company". In the directors cut of aliens you get to see the company logos and you get it refered to. But the company in AvP is Weyland industries. Which we learn is The Company.

"HE" is in Alien as "the company" The faceless corporation that wants ASH to bring back a sample of these ultimate weapon using the crew as host. In aliens, Lances plays Bishop, an andriod that is modeled after the founder of the company, Charles Bishop Weyland who is in AvP as himself in present time.

see the connection now? In alien3 he is there again. In the directors cut he claims to be the real Charles Bishop, but that is not entirely true. Maybe it's a clone, or maybe it's just another driod who knows. The point is that the company motto is still "Find those aliens" even if Weyland is long since dead. This search should have started in AvP when he first makes contact with the beast.

The time line comes form other outside sources. Scripts, books, and other official sources. Much like the detailed items of how a pulse rifle works. You don't see it on screen describing in detail how it works, but there is resources that are official that give the background if you so choose to look. A good source is the Col. Marines technical guidebook. A good read for any aliens nut. I believe it may also be on one of the bonus disc of either the quadrilogy or the other alien package.

Here is a rather extensive alien history timeline site that uses good sources to come up with a time line.:
http://time.absoluteavp.com/index.html

Now one on Predators:
http://encyclopedia.thefreedictionary.com/Predator%202

A lot of things about AvP go against the stuff already ruled into the Alien and Predator Universe. Cold tempature, hell, putting them on earth in itself sucked.

chanster
10-21-04, 06:41 PM
Please don't do this. Oh well, doesn't matter..won't watch it. Caught AVP for $5 and it was a waste.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0