DVD Talk
Do you guys all like Eternal Sunshine because.. [Archive] - DVD Talk Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Do you guys all like Eternal Sunshine because..

PopcornTreeCt
10-17-04, 10:40 PM
..you have had girlfriends as nuts as Clementine? I was just wondering why this movie connected with so many people.

Jackskeleton
10-17-04, 10:44 PM
It's pretty simple. It goes to the basics that everyone has some bad memories. Some things that you really in a quick rush would like to forget ever happened. But when you step back and look at it, it's something you don't think you would be yourself today without having gone through. So on that level it works.

P.S. threads should never end in "........"

Rivero
10-17-04, 11:42 PM
Originally posted by PopcornTreeCt
..you have had girlfriends as nuts as Clementine?

I had a girlfriend as beautiful as Clementine. Though they have similarites I wouldn't call her or the Winslet character nuts at all. There are other reasons: a fantastic script, stellar acting, great score, great cinematography, great direction, hell...great fuckin EVERYTHING.

PopcornTreeCt
10-18-04, 12:48 AM
Originally posted by Jackskeleton

P.S. threads should never end in "........"

84 views and counting. This is how you get people into your thread. :)

Jackskeleton
10-18-04, 01:04 AM
Originally posted by PopcornTreeCt
84 views and counting. This is how you get people into your thread. :)

You have to ask yourself one thing. Do you want views or do you want more responses? I can post a thread and write "Nude pictures of ____" and I'll get 1,000 views in a matter of moments. Doesn't mean anyone will actually post a response that would actually be useful to the actual thread topic.

If you become descriptive with titles you will get those who are interested in the question. Makes sense.

take a hint from this thread:
http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=390866
Mod note:
This is not a contest to see who can get the most posts or the most views. Please use more descriptive titles for your threads.

Thanks

Mr.Blonde510
10-18-04, 01:29 AM
Apparently you have no clue what this movie was exactly about.

Supermallet
10-18-04, 03:26 AM
I don't think you need to have similar experiences to characters in a film to connect with it. Have I ever been an expatriate running a bar in French Africa, when the love of my life walks in, married to a man on the run from the Nazis? No. And yet I still connect to Casablanca. I liked the movie because it was well written, performed, and directed.

John-In-VA
10-18-04, 06:25 AM
Originally posted by Suprmallet
Have I ever been an expatriate running a bar in French Africa, when the love of my life walks in, married to a man on the run from the Nazis? No.

Well I had an experience similar to that. :D

But seriously, I loved Eternal Sunshine just because I loved it. I never had a relationship like that but something about the movie just made me say "WOW" at the end.

RaraFemina
10-18-04, 07:16 AM
I think it connected with so many people because we all have things in our life that either didn't turn out like we had hoped, or just sucked in general. As much as people would like to take these things back...erase them....most people realize those are the things that make us who we are. At some point, all horrible relationships had at least some good in them. Mistakes we made in the past, we won't make again. Traumatic events make us stronger and more compassionate to others that have gone thru them.

sdk
10-18-04, 07:23 AM
" Wy do i fall in love with all women who show me the slightest sign of affection ". Don't remember if that is correct but those of you who have seen it know what i mean. i love that sentece.

Michael Corvin
10-18-04, 07:31 AM
Originally posted by Jackskeleton
It's pretty simple. It goes to the basics that everyone has some bad memories. Some things that you really in a quick rush would like to forget ever happened. But when you step back and look at it, it's something you don't think you would be yourself today without having gone through. So on that level it works.

I have someone like that but it never even crossed my mind watching the film. I connected with it because it had a great concept, was directed well, and the acting was great. It was different and not the usual crap hollywood shovels out. A movie that makes you think. :up: I would put it alongside Memento and Vanilla Sky, but easier to follow.

matome
10-18-04, 08:14 AM
I liked it because Kirsten Dunst jumps around in her underwear.

dstrauss
10-18-04, 08:20 AM
Well, yes, there's that. Kirsten Dunst reading a phone book might be enough for me, but the underwear part is a nice bonus.

Seriously, it was a really good movie, and I wish it had gotten a little more attention.

Michael Corvin
10-18-04, 10:40 AM
actually KD belongs in this thread (http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=389491)

PopcornTreeCt
10-18-04, 12:48 PM
Ah, I see. I watched the film in its entirety again last night and I did enjoy it a lot. Though I imagine not as much as some folks here.

g_i_john
10-18-04, 01:31 PM
I can't believe how little attention this movie got. And Adaptation got so much more and was not nearly as good. I liked it in part because it was beautifully shot.

dick_grayson
10-18-04, 01:32 PM
my girlfriend is nuts, but nothing like Clementine (actually I'm more like Clementine;))

NoxHaveN
10-18-04, 01:56 PM
Originally posted by sdk
" Wy do i fall in love with all women who show me the slightest sign of affection ". Don't remember if that is correct but those of you who have seen it know what i mean. i love that sentece.

Agreed. I thought that was the most prolific line in the opening sequence. :up:

NoxHaveN
10-18-04, 02:20 PM
It's not necessary for a movie to be about something that I can relate directly to in my life in order for me to love it. Interesting though that the last time this theory was suggested in recent memory was when Lost in Translation was making its splash. I can't count the number of times people suggested that the reason guys loved and connected with LiT was because we all harbored fantasies about cheating with younger women. For me, that was definitely not the case, and I seriously doubt that it was with most of us who loved the film. But it did cause me to reflect in depth on the reasons why I felt such a strong affinity to movies like Eternal Sunshine and Lost in Translation. In retrospect, the movies that I tend to really "bond" with are ones that have a certain truthful quality to it.

It's truly a rare occurance these days when a movie possesses a well written plot and dialogue that doesn't TRY so hard to get a reaction from its audience thus rendering it melodramatic. Rather, the words should flow naturally and unforced, allowing the audience to immerse in the moment and react as the actors themselves react to hearing the words (as if) for the first time.

The interaction between the characters also plays a huge factor in the film's integrity and honesty. The more honest the dialogue sound or the actions look, the more I buy into the film's story. It doesn't matter whether the movie is a contemporary romance like Eternal Sunshine, or whether it's a space western like Star Wars, as long as the movie feels honest.

But again, that's just me.

PopcornTreeCt
10-18-04, 02:28 PM
Originally posted by NoxHaveN
It's not necessary for a movie to be about something that I can relate directly to in my life in order for me to love it. Interesting though that the last time this theory was suggested in recent memory was when Lost in Translation was making its splash. I can't count the number of times people suggested that the reason guys loved and connected with LiT was because we all harbored fantasies about cheating with younger women. For me, that was definitely not the case, and I seriously doubt that it was with most of us who loved the film. But it did cause me to reflect in depth on the reasons why I felt such a strong affinity to movies like Eternal Sunshine and Lost in Translation. In retrospect, the movies that I tend to really "bond" with are ones that have a certain truthful quality to it.

It's truly a rare occurance these days when a movie possesses a well written plot and dialogue that doesn't TRY so hard to get a reaction from its audience thus rendering it melodramatic. Rather, the words should flow naturally and unforced, allowing the audience to immerse in the moment and react as the actors themselves react to hearing the words (as if) for the first time.

The interaction between the characters also plays a huge factor in the film's integrity and honesty. The more honest the dialogue sound or the actions look, the more I buy into the film's story. It doesn't matter whether the movie is a contemporary romance like Eternal Sunshine, or whether it's a space western like Star Wars, as long as the movie feels honest.

But again, that's just me.

:up: Good explanation. I'm starting to get it now. I feel the same way about Garden State. I connected with that film on many different levels.

Brent L
10-18-04, 02:34 PM
I now call this film my favorite ever, and the best ever in my opinion, for the following reasons:

1) All of the acting is outstanding, and everyone in the film seems to actually server a purpose.

2) I connected with the character of Joel simply because I share his mindset and views of of world. I'm not shy about it, it's all true.

3) Clementine was a fantastic character, my favorite ever. From her outgoing personality, to her hair, to everything else.

4) I loved the small simple things, such as Joel and Clementine lying on "thin ice".

5) The visuals blew me away, yet were really so simple. This wasn't a film that had a ton of money invested in special effects, yet at times it would lead you to believe otherwise.

6) The opening 17 minutes is my favorite stretch in ANY film. It's even more amazing to me that it all happened before the opening credits even showed up.

7) I loved that by the end of the film, everything tied together.

8) The film included some of the best lines and exchanges in dialogue ever. For once, what the characters had to say actually meant something. Here are just some of them:

A: Joel: Is there any risk of brain damage?

Howard: Well, technically speaking, the operation is brain damage, but on a par with a night of heavy drinking. Nothing you'll miss.

b: Joel: Why do I fall in love with every woman I see that shows me the least bit of attention?

C: Clementine: You're kind of closed mouthed, aren't you?

Joel: Sorry, my life isn't that interesting. I go to work. I go home. I don't know what to say.

Clementine: Does that make you sad? Or anxious? I'm always anxious thinking I'm not living my life to the fullest, you know? Taking advantage of every possibility. Just making sure that I'm not wasting one second of the little time I have.

D: Joel: Constantly talking isn't necessarily communicating.

E: Joel: Are we like couples you see in restaurants? Are we the dining dead?

F: Clementine: Joely? What if you stay this time?

Joel: I walked out the door. There's no memory left.

Clementine: Come back and make up a goodbye at least, let's pretend we had one... Goodbye, Joel.

Joel : ...I love you...

Clementine : ...Meet me in Montauk...

9) The way that the actors delivered the lines was just amazing, especially Kate Winslet. I couldn't even begin to list all of the simple lines that she had, yet the way she presented them they meant so much more. A simple "you should stay" meant so much by just how she said it.

10) Don't get me started on the music in this film. Let's just say that I listen to the soundtrack all the time. I only wish that the soundtrack I have had longer cuts of some of the musical numbers.

11) It's the most rewatchable film for me. I can sit down at any time and start to watch it, and just not be able to stop myself.

12) Back to the acting in this film. As I said, everyone was great. It was just so emotional. In reality, it didn't even look like "acting" to me. I can't remember the last time that a cast came together as they did in this one, and I can't remember the last time that actors got so into their roles that they seemingly became the characters.

13) The direction was fantastic from top to bottom.

14) The Screenplay is the most well written that I've ever sat down and actually read.

15) As already mentioned, the film connects with me. The thought of going back and deleting a memory sounds fantastic, but in reality if it were possible, I'm sure I'd act just like Joel did and want to turn back. At times, even the most depressing of memories deserve to be remembered.

16) The film had an unreal flow to it. Everything seemed to mean something. Everything someone said seemed to have meaning. More importantly, the acting was so real. You know, just a perfect flow to everything, even the music that went along with it.

17) Finally, I can't remember the last time that a film made me feel as this one. I can watch it and just feel great about life in general.

In short though, I suppose I could just say that I liked everything about it, because that is the truth.

When it comes down to it though, I don't think I can really explain why I love it so much. I can give reasons, but I can't really explain it.

Supermallet
10-18-04, 02:57 PM
Originally posted by g_i_john
I can't believe how little attention this movie got. And Adaptation got so much more and was not nearly as good. I liked it in part because it was beautifully shot.

Adaptation is a better movie. :p

Puzznic
10-19-04, 06:42 AM
Originally posted by Suprmallet
Adaptation is a better movie. :p

Lets just call them even and bow down to Kaufman for making such outstanding movies back to back.

dick_grayson
10-19-04, 09:50 AM
Originally posted by dick_grayson
my ex-girlfriend is nuts, but nothing like Clementine (actually I'm more like Clementine;))

fixed :(

NoxHaveN
10-19-04, 02:08 PM
Originally posted by dick_grayson
fixed :(

That sucks bro. :(

Time to call Lacuna.

angryyoungman
10-19-04, 08:56 PM
I saw this with my ex-girfriend and as many have said it really got to me. At the time I saw it, I was kind of feeling as fed up with our relationship as Joel and Clem were. As the movie unfolds, Joel starts to realize why he fell in love with her in the first place, and it made me do the same. It's probably the most romantic movie I've ever seen.

DVD Smurf
10-19-04, 09:41 PM
I like the film because of this http://www.lacunainc.com/

Cheers :beer:,

DVD Smurf :)

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0