Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

This can't be right. I'm halfway through with Fable after 3 hours!? (slight spoiler)

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

This can't be right. I'm halfway through with Fable after 3 hours!? (slight spoiler)

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-04, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just started playing Fable yesterday, and ended up playing for just over 3 hours. I thought I was doing lots of the side quests and such, not rushing through, and stopped playing just after defeating twin-blades and finding my sister.

Today, I look at an online walkthrough to see how far I'd gone, and according to the walkthrough, I'm halfway done! Please tell me it isn't so .
Old 10-16-04, 12:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That's quite possible, unfortunately. It took me 8 1/2 hours to get through the whole thing.

Taylor34
Old 10-16-04, 12:54 PM

Oh great, I beat twinblades awhile back, but didn't think I was anywhere near halfway through.
Old 10-16-04, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Wow, I was at 9+ hours at Twin Blades. I tried to do all the side quests available though, and even wandered areas to do some extra combat, find travelling merchants, etc. I also did a lot of thieving and flirting, so I guess it just depends on what you all do in the game. The main story is woefully short though and there needed to be far more side quests.
Old 10-16-04, 02:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
This game calls for a rental..if you can complete the game in 12-15 hours..rent the game for 5 days..should be enough...then you compare that to something like GTA: SA, where its 100 hours plus.
Old 10-16-04, 03:07 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally posted by superdeluxe
This game calls for a rental..if you can complete the game in 12-15 hours..rent the game for 5 days..should be enough...then you compare that to something like GTA: SA, where its 100 hours plus.
Kind of a silly comparison, because if you just play the missions straight through in the GTA games, it would take 12-15 hours (just like Fable). But both games have more than just the main missions, and if you take your time, explore, and interact with the world your game experience is a lot longer.
Old 10-16-04, 05:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
I'm talking about the newest GTA game to come out..its about 100 hours.

But even with Fable..if you do all th side quests..isnt the total time..maybe around 25 hours?
Old 10-16-04, 06:10 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I have been too busy stealing and collecting more hoes than the Godfather (WWF) I don't think I am even at 25% I just got back to my home town and I'm at 7 hours.

I normally hate RPG's but I'm hooked on this one thanks to the thread I read about it here.
Old 10-17-04, 11:07 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

You have learned your first lesson about the Microsoft hype machine. Any questions?
Old 10-18-04, 12:29 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 403 Likes on 303 Posts
Fable is short, yes, but a rental won't do it justice. Just not enough time to truly experience the game. Unless you rent it for like a month or something. It's definitely worth buying, I am on my 3rd character, and still not tired of it.
Old 10-18-04, 01:24 AM
Banned

Originally posted by nickdawgy
Fable is short, yes, but a rental won't do it justice. Just not enough time to truly experience the game. Unless you rent it for like a month or something. It's definitely worth buying, I am on my 3rd character, and still not tired of it.
After I beat it, i had no care for it anymore, its a nice experience the first time around, but its nothing i'd care to go back too, especially since I didnt care for the combat system and all the extra little things like getting married and such got boring IMO
Old 10-18-04, 08:20 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I beat it in 9 1/2 hours. I guess I could get married some more times, buy some more houses, get some better armor, find all the treasure, but to what avail? I've already beat the last boss and he was a joke. Plus, the whole marriage thing seems pointless after a while. When your status gets high enough, woman fall in love with you instantly and marrying them doesn't really have any effect on anything. It doesn't seem like anything you can do has any effct on the game world. Even going back and playing as Evil character seems pointless now that I've realized that whether you get the good ending or the evil ending just depends on what choice you make at the very end of the game. Fable ain't no KOTOR killer. It ain't no KOTOR killer at all.
Old 10-18-04, 08:35 AM

Originally posted by mmconhea
You have learned your first lesson about the Microsoft hype machine. Any questions?
Technically that wasn't the Microsoft hype machine; it was the Peter Molyneux hype machine. Rule number one for any games that he is a part of is to not pay attention to anything he says. I learned my lesson with Black and White.

I listened to none of the hype, and had no real expectations for the game. I bought it as a highly rated blind buy, and have loved every minute of it. I beat it the first time in about 16 hours; the second trip through has taken me about 17 so far, and I am about to embark on the final quest. I figure that if I can get 35 hours or so out of the game, it was a good purchase for me.
Old 10-19-04, 05:01 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 403 Likes on 303 Posts
Originally posted by Joe Molotov
I beat it in 9 1/2 hours. I guess I could get married some more times, buy some more houses, get some better armor, find all the treasure, but to what avail? I've already beat the last boss and he was a joke. Plus, the whole marriage thing seems pointless after a while. When your status gets high enough, woman fall in love with you instantly and marrying them doesn't really have any effect on anything. It doesn't seem like anything you can do has any effct on the game world. Even going back and playing as Evil character seems pointless now that I've realized that whether you get the good ending or the evil ending just depends on what choice you make at the very end of the game. Fable ain't no KOTOR killer. It ain't no KOTOR killer at all.
I for one never expected it to be a KOTOR killer.
Old 10-19-04, 06:20 AM
Banned

Originally posted by Joe Molotov

I agree with eveything you said, and for a game that supposedly was suppose to be one of the best rpgs ever, im truely dissapointed, its not mediocre but its not that good either, I have no idea what they were doing in 5 years while working on this game, cause it sure as hell wasnt working on it, seemed like a rushed game.
Old 10-19-04, 06:52 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by pOpus
Technically that wasn't the Microsoft hype machine; it was the Peter Molyneux hype machine. Rule number one for any games that he is a part of is to not pay attention to anything he says. I learned my lesson with Black and White.
word.

peter got me w/ black and white as well.
Old 10-19-04, 10:35 AM
Retired

Originally posted by Mr.Blonde510
After I beat it, i had no care for it anymore, its a nice experience the first time around, but its nothing i'd care to go back too, especially since I didnt care for the combat system and all the extra little things like getting married and such got boring IMO
That's why I passed on it for now. I just have a hard time replaying games, even if there are no quests etc.

I'm trying to play through KOTOR the second time now after a year+ break and still am getting bored with it.

I'd just rather play something totally new in my limited free time, than something with just some new twists.
Old 10-20-04, 12:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,943 Likes on 1,504 Posts
Originally posted by Josh Hinkle
That's why I passed on it for now. I just have a hard time replaying games, even if there are no quests etc.

I'm trying to play through KOTOR the second time now after a year+ break and still am getting bored with it.

I'd just rather play something totally new in my limited free time, than something with just some new twists.
Well, if they were infinitely replayable, why would you buy the sequel?
Old 10-20-04, 01:04 PM

Originally posted by Mr.Blonde510
I agree with eveything you said, and for a game that supposedly was suppose to be one of the best rpgs ever, im truely dissapointed, its not mediocre but its not that good either, I have no idea what they were doing in 5 years while working on this game, cause it sure as hell wasnt working on it, seemed like a rushed game.
I agree completely, after I beat the game my first thought was what the hell just happened?! The game was in development so long yet it was so damn short. My theory is that they wasted so much time on stuff that got cut that the remaining game was just a shell of its former self.