Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Wireless Xbox Live Help

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-04, 06:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wireless Xbox Live Help

I'm wanting to hook my Xbox up to the internet wirelessly. I already have a normal wired router that I used when I just strung 50 feet of cable from room to room.

Heres what I'm looking at right now

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....9&type=product

Could I use this? Is it all I would need?
Any help would be much appreciated.
Old 10-15-04, 06:14 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I've got that exact same guy. It worked flawlessly on my XBox.

You just need to connect it to your PC or the router first so you can configure it.
Old 10-15-04, 06:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

how does it work? if it connects to your Xbox how does it recieve a signal? is there another piece that hooks to the modem and sends a signal?
Old 10-15-04, 06:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,937 Likes on 1,498 Posts
You need a wireless router to send signals to this. Search the forum, there are multiple topics about this.

Even though it's about 10 bucks more, just go with the Microsoft Xbox one that they sell at most Targets for 70 or so (99 at other places, including BB). It's actually a wireless G, while this one is only wireless B, and although you need an xbox to initially set it up, it works for any system once set up. If you're lucky, you'll stumble across a Target where it is being clearanced for even less.
Old 10-15-04, 06:50 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Staples and Newegg have a really good deal on Netgear wireless routers right now. I picked up an 802.11b router from Newegg for $40 with a $20 rebate. Their G router was $60.

Staples has the b router for a bit cheaper.
Old 10-16-04, 04:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thanks for your help guys. Will Xbox live work well with a b adapter? Is it better to get a g variety? I ended up buying a D-Link wireless G router but I got the Linksys B game adapter. I know they are compatible, but I also know it will default to the slower of the 2.

So is a b connection going to be fast enough? I can always take back the b adapter in favor of the g Xbox brand one.
Old 10-16-04, 04:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

You'll be fine with a b.
Old 10-16-04, 05:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
For what it is worth I bought and returned that same adapter. Very poor signal strength from my access point. I went with the Microsoft G adapter and have had no problems.
Old 10-16-04, 06:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Brian Shannon
For what it is worth I bought and returned that same adapter. Very poor signal strength from my access point. I went with the Microsoft G adapter and have had no problems.
Yeah I heard the same thing from some other people on the web. I got it all hooked up, and have been on LIVE for a couple hours with no problem. It might be because my adapter is only 15 feet away from my router (although it is through walls)

For future reference how much was that Microsoft adapter and where did you pick it up?
Old 10-17-04, 05:35 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I got one of the xbox wireless adapters on clearance from Target, but I'm having problems with the games timing out (and I tried wireless, wired into router, and wired straight into my dsl). I play for about 5 minutes, then it starts getting choppy. Does this sound like a Verizon DSL problem?
Old 10-17-04, 05:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Try opening up port 3074 TCP & UDP and port 88 UDP. Or run your adapter in the DMZ.
Old 10-17-04, 06:30 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by silentbob007
I got one of the xbox wireless adapters on clearance from Target, but I'm having problems with the games timing out (and I tried wireless, wired into router, and wired straight into my dsl). I play for about 5 minutes, then it starts getting choppy. Does this sound like a Verizon DSL problem?
Try the latest firmware

http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/br..._mn740_102.htm

as well as make sure you have the latest firmware for your router