Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Farenheit 9/11 vs. FarenHYPE 9/11

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-04, 10:50 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, I watched both of these last night. I rented them with my free netflix trial so I wouldn't be lining Moore's pockets.

My analysis of F9/11 is obviously biased because I am a Bush supporter, but I still gave it a spin.

Basically, many of the claims in the film were off base and were not supported very well. The only good thing that I can say is that it had some humor that made me laugh and it kept me entertained (though it was slanted).

After the film, I came away with the feeling that Moore was trying to portray Bush as a crook and all of the administration as fake. He did a good job through editing to do this.

Also, I did not like the portrayal of the soldiers. They came off as heartless and naive, but then Moore wanted you to feel sorry for the ones that died. It was kind of conflicting.

Anyways, afterwards, I watch Farenhype 9/11 and it shot many holes in Moore's film by specifically targeting certain points of the film and proving them wrong (by interviews, 9/11 commission facts and so on).

They also had interviews with some people who were in F9/11 without permission (Moore got their interviews from news organizations). They were pissed that Moore used them and slanted their interviews.

They also interviewed soldiers who support the war and support their commander in chief. They had some touching interviews with families who have lost family memebers in Iraq who support the war also.

They also interviewed the teacher who was with Bush on the morning of 9/11. She seemed very angry at Moore. It shed some light on that morning and Bush's thinking while sitting there listening to the kids read.

Best line from Farenhype was from Ron Silver. He said "If you give me alot of tape of Moore, I'll edit it and make him look like an anorexic republican".

My recommendation, watch them both and do not take one side as the complete truth.
Old 10-15-04, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Best review I have ever read of Farenheit 9/11 - Moore has edited to the point of not telling the truth and the facts has proven this to be true.

Not saying that I agree with everything Bush has done over the past 4 years (Taxes mostly), but he has been unfairly treated by Mr. Moore.

To bad someone who does such a thing cannot be sued, then he would present a Movie with the real facts only.

Here is a link to more truths about F9/11:
http://www.davekopel.com/Terror/Fift...enheit-911.htm

Last edited by Iron_Giant; 10-15-04 at 12:58 PM.
Old 10-15-04, 02:32 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Yeah, one of my favorite Moore slants was the White tied dinner where President Bush made the joke "some people call you the elite, but I call you my base".

In Moore's movie, he made Bush look like a rich a**hole who was at an expensive fundraiser or something.

In FarenHYPE 9//11, they exposed the truth. That dinner was actually during the 2000 election campaigns and was raising money for Catholic schools. Al Gore was there too!!!

It was kind of tradition to make self-deprecating jokes during your speech.

Another Moore slant without providing the full story.

Do not be fooled! There are two sides to every story!

Last edited by RockStrongo; 10-15-04 at 02:34 PM.
Old 10-15-04, 03:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by RockStrongo
Yeah, one of my favorite Moore slants was the White tied dinner where President Bush made the joke "some people call you the elite, but I call you my base".

In Moore's movie, he made Bush look like a rich a**hole who was at an expensive fundraiser or something.

In FarenHYPE 9//11, they exposed the truth. That dinner was actually during the 2000 election campaigns and was raising money for Catholic schools. Al Gore was there too!!!

It was kind of tradition to make self-deprecating jokes during your speech.

Another Moore slant without providing the full story.

Do not be fooled! There are two sides to every story!
Amen, my brother.
Old 10-16-04, 11:06 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Moore is a huge AHole.
Old 10-16-04, 11:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Moving to, uh, I dunno. Movie Talk, I guess.

- David Stein
Old 10-16-04, 11:40 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Best line from Farenhype was from Ron Silver. He said "If you give me alot of tape of Moore, I'll edit it and make him look like an anorexic republican".
Old 10-16-04, 12:20 PM
Banned

Re: Farenheit 9/11 vs. FarenHYPE 9/11

Originally posted by RockStrongo

Basically, many of the claims in the film were off base and were not supported very well.
Which ones? Name the film's offbase claims.
Old 10-16-04, 12:28 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
In the film it makes it seem like the SS doesn't protect foreign embassies (or that the Saudi embassy was a special exception), it's been doing so since the Carter admin.

Whether or not air travel was allowed when the Saudi flight left seems to be in dispute but most places IIRC say the flight left on the day the travel ban was lifted.

There's the news paper opinion piece about Gore winning that was remade to look like a headline.

Those are three that come to mind off the top of my head...

Last edited by nemein; 10-16-04 at 12:30 PM.
Old 10-16-04, 12:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Some problems I had with F-9/11:
He completely spun the news coverage of the 2000 election to make it appear as if everyone else was somehow following Fox News' lead (or bullied into it) in naming Bush winner of Florida.

The whole section about the Saudis, making it look like every one of them was a terrorist or a supporter of the terrorists, because most of the 9/11 terrorists were Saudi.

The section about the Oregon state troopers. I kept thinking what does this have to do with Bush or the terrorists. If the department is underfunded by not having enough personel, that is a state problem. If it is about terrorists getting into the country, it is wrong because everyone knows terrorists hate rain.
Old 10-16-04, 02:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: Re: Farenheit 9/11 vs. FarenHYPE 9/11

Originally posted by Rivero
Which ones? Name the film's offbase claims.
If you really want the truth about M. Moore's film, please read the following webpage that has links to the real truth about F 9/11.

After reading the webpage, please post another comment to this tread and list all the conflicts you can now find in F 9/11.

Have a good day.
Old 10-16-04, 06:03 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
MOORE IS FAT. HURR HURR.

I would much rather have a middle ground then either movie. one is extreme right, the other is extreme left.
Old 10-16-04, 08:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by Jackskeleton
MOORE IS FAT. HURR HURR.

I would much rather have a middle ground then either movie. one is extreme right, the other is extreme left.
'You ask the impossible' -Luke Skywalker
Old 10-16-04, 10:44 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
"and that is why you fail" -Yoda ESB
Old 10-17-04, 02:54 AM
Banned

Re: Re: Re: Farenheit 9/11 vs. FarenHYPE 9/11

Originally posted by Iron_Giant

After reading the webpage, please post another comment to this tread
okay, I'll comment and mention that several of the so-called claims on this "independent" site that supposedly refutes numerous points from Moore's film have themselves been refuted by other sources. But I'm sure you already knew this
Old 10-17-04, 04:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

i saw both movies and found that F 9-11 was very good at presenting humor to his opinion.

Fahrenhype 9-11 was great at presenting the truth behind it.

For people who are openminded, watch Fahrenhype 9-11 and then decide for yourself.
Old 10-17-04, 10:16 AM

Why is anybody paying attention to what these people are pushing. Moore, Limbaugh, Frankin, Hannity, etc. Make up your own minds, and quit assuming that you are smart enough to reject their political bias, but other's, such as the troops in Iraq, are not capable of doing their own critical analysis. Trying to prevent others from being exposed to what both sides are pushing, indicates that you think that much of your fellow citizens are just mindless zombies, who would be instantly programmed to obey the will of Moore, Limbaugh, etc.

Ask yourself this, would you allow any this crowd to dictate what you would eat or how you would dress. If not, then why the hell does anyone pay any attention to what political stance they want you to take. I am a dedicated liberal, but I have no desire to see Moore's product. I believe that Moore, Limbaugh etc are just preaching to already convinced choirs, and do not gain many converts. case in point, Mel Gibson's Passion Film. The audience was not full of atheists, agnostics, and non-christens. It was comprised, for the most part, of already dedicated believers. Show me the mass conversions that took place because of the movie. Rest assured Moore's film has not made any more difference than being exposed to a daily blast of Plush Limberjaw's hot air would have on me.

NetResults
Old 10-17-04, 11:28 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

All F911 was is a nice 2 hours of laughter to help stop the pain of the last 4 years.

What was Moore supposed to do, let a guy like Bush do absolutely nothing for 4 years, and then not comment on it.

Of course Moore spun it his way, but pictures still don't lie.

Unfortunaly for comedy writers, Bush will probably not get re-elected, so here's to coming up with new material.
Old 10-17-04, 11:37 PM
Banned

Originally posted by Frank TJ Mackey

Unfortunaly for comedy writers, Bush will probably not get re-elected, so here's to coming up with new material.
Are you kidding? As much as I would love to see the monkey replaced I'm gonna be SHOCKED if Bush actually loses at this point.
Old 10-17-04, 11:41 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Rivero
Are you kidding? As much as I would love to see the monkey replaced I'm gonna be SHOCKED if Bush actually loses at this point.

this will be the last post for this thread, cuz i don't want us kicked off for hijacking, but it's extremely close, in fact, Kerry is probably in a pretty good spot right now.

that's it for me.

p.s. - don't ever insult monkeys like that.