Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Help out a SPACED fan...

Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Help out a SPACED fan...

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-04, 07:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help out a SPACED fan...

Hi everybody, I'm a SPACED fan from the U.S. and I'm wondering if anyone out there can suggest anymore great UK shows. I may pick up the office just because its readily available but surely there must be some great stuff unreleased over here. What is Black Books about? I've heard that mentioned a few times. Thanks for any help.
Old 10-14-04, 09:08 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I don't know if I am in the minority or not, but I like Randall & Hopkirk (Deceased), the recent remake. The original series is now available in R1, but I have actually never seen it.

What I have seen of Black Books I have liked, though it wasn't much. My sister was visiting from the UK and brought Spaced and Black Books S1s and I got so hooked on Spaced that I didn't get to fully watch the Black Books disc. Since you are a fan of Spaced, you will recognize Bill Bailey (Bilbo in Spaced) as one of the stars of Black Books and Dylan Moran who costarred in Shaun of the Dead with many Spaced alumn.

Have you ever watched any of Red Dwarf? It might be something you would be interested in.

And DEFINITELY pick up The Office. Not just because it is readily available, it is one of the best shows out of the UK. Definitely rivals Spaced IMO.
Old 10-14-04, 10:08 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Black Books is great, but it's a bit more traditional Sitcom-ish on purpose (with a laugh track etc)

I'm Alan Partridge is amazing, Simon Pegg of Spaced Guest starred in the first season, I like the second season better.

15 Storeys High- probably my favorite 00's UK Sitcom, amazing, remidns me a bit of Curb Your Enthusiasm in a weird way. Peter Serafeniwitz of Spaced/Shaun is in it as well as the guy who plays "Tyres" on spaced.

Look Around You- This is a spoof science show written and starring peter Serafeniwitz, it's amazing.

Human Remains - Dark dark humor, but great.
Old 10-14-04, 10:28 AM

its always a good idea when asking a Q like this to say what youve seen...

anyhow : i recommend "phoenix nights" and "black books", "the day today" and "alan partridge" plus "brass eye". a good source is cd-wow as they have lots of R2 and shipping worldwide is included in the price.

the thing also is this : lots of people in the USA obviously like "spaced" cos it so heavily references american blockbuster movies... the typical britishness is only a part of it and your gonna get british life in british comedy, but not much reference to american culture unless its impacted on british culture in an odd way. "the day today", a spoof of tv news programs is probably the closest thing to referencing elements of USA and UK culture at the same time...
Old 10-14-04, 03:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I love the Day Today, but I think I liked Brasseye a lot better.

The Day Today and Brasseye are a bit like the Daily Show, but much more mean spirited.
Old 10-14-04, 04:26 PM

Cracker!

I really like Cracker with Robbie Coltrane.
OK, the three series are/were available in the states, but this 10 disc set is much cheaper then the single editions. alas, there are literally(!) no extras within this set; not even subtitles accompanying the DD stereo track. But nonetheless, the series is just splendit!
Old 10-14-04, 07:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Go buy the R1 version of Father Ted: The Holy Trilogy.
Old 10-15-04, 03:08 PM

I second Black Books -- agreed that it's much more of a traditional sitcom style than Spaced, but it's very weird and funny.
Old 10-15-04, 04:45 PM

Phoenix Nights - brilliant
Old 10-16-04, 03:00 AM

remember www.cd-wow.com stocks lots of R2 uk discs and ships free worldwide..
Old 10-16-04, 08:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
... and nicheflix.com has lots of Brit sitcoms!
Old 10-16-04, 08:34 PM

Theres not many Britishshows that are any good really, most are pathetic crap, like The Office and many other dire comedy crap that is popular in the UK!

Spaced is among the few great shows, but really theres not many out there. Father Ted is very good Red Dwarf is another, but really 99% of all UK TV is crap and a total waste of everyones time! Thats why I watch so many series from the America, as the crap on our TV's over here just gets on my nerves.
Old 10-16-04, 08:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts
Originally posted by Romerojpg
99% of all UK TV is crap and a total waste of everyones time! Thats why I watch so many series from the America, as the crap on our TV's over here just gets on my nerves.
The irony is that us Americans feel the same way about our TV, which is why we get all excited about good British shows, and perhaps have an inflated image of UK TV since we tend not to get the crap over here.
Old 10-17-04, 05:17 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Look Around you.

I personally thought the office was boring. Just not my cup of tea and I loooooved spaced.
Old 10-17-04, 10:04 AM

The Royle Family - perhaps more "British" than anything else in this thread, and it may not travel across the Atlantic well. However, if you can get into it, its brilliant. Its basically a family of couch potatoes and 95% of the show is in their living room. Being British, you can't help but know people like them!

Marion & Geoff - one person show. Basically a camcorder mounted in a taxi as Keith records a video diary that tells you about whats going on in his life, and we piece together a lot about him that he doesn't tell us! Not particularly laugh-out loud funny, but insightful and surprisingly touching.
Old 10-17-04, 11:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I see no one has mentioned The League of Gentlemen, a great three season comedy. Very bizarre, though, kind of like Andy Griffith's Mayberry meets David Lynch's Twin Peaks.

One of the most unique aspects of the show is that almost all of the main characters are played by the same three guys (who, like in Spaced and The Office, are also the writers). It's fun trying to figure out which actor is playing whom.
Old 10-18-04, 11:20 AM
Mod Emeritus

Re: Help out a SPACED fan...

<small>
Originally posted by highclassrob
Hi everybody, I'm a SPACED fan from the U.S. and I'm wondering if anyone out there can suggest anymore great UK shows.
</small>Check out the following thread - and the links therein - for some further info:
Old 10-18-04, 12:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Bleddyn Williams
The Royle Family - perhaps more "British" than anything else in this thread, and it may not travel across the Atlantic well. However, if you can get into it, its brilliant. Its basically a family of couch potatoes and 95% of the show is in their living room. Being British, you can't help but know people like them!

Marion & Geoff - one person show. Basically a camcorder mounted in a taxi as Keith records a video diary that tells you about whats going on in his life, and we piece together a lot about him that he doesn't tell us! Not particularly laugh-out loud funny, but insightful and surprisingly touching.
I second both these. Craig Cash who was the co-writer/co-creator of Royle Family has a new show called "early doors" that's basically the Royle Family in a pub, it's great, the first series just came out on DVD. I highly recommend it, especaily if you are a fan of the Royle Family.

Rob Brydon who did Marion & Geoff is great, anything he's done is worth checking out. My favorite was Human Remains. Director's Commentary is great as well, he parodies the commentaries on DVDs.
Old 10-19-04, 08:47 AM

Craig Cash who was the co-writer/co-creator of Royle Family has a new show called "early doors" that's basically the Royle Family in a pub, it's great, the first series just came out on DVD. I highly recommend it, especaily if you are a fan of the Royle Family.
Thanks for the heads-up! I had only heard of this show, but had no idea what it was about. Sounds well worth investigating!
Old 10-19-04, 11:05 AM

i think some are missing the point and potentially didnt read what i wrote earlier in the thread : its odd to recommend particularly british comedy to an american whos initial interest was sparked by "spaced" - the thing about spaced is it heavily references american culture - apart from things like "the day today" and "brass eye" can anyone think of other shows which reference it? unless that is, the interest comes from elsewhere : then the Q needed to perhaps be more specific.
Old 10-19-04, 01:11 PM
Mod Emeritus

<small>
Originally posted by logboy
i think some are missing the point and potentially didnt read what i wrote earlier in the thread [....]
</small>Gadzooks! Those ill-mannered blaggards!

Having read a variety of threads here and in TV Talk on BritComs and other UK series it seems to me that the US-based people posting liked a wide variety of shows. I'll quote just one post selected almost at random
Originally posted by Numanoid
Definitely pick up Spaced . Being a big fan of British comedy, I purchased this recently based on the rave reviews on amazon.co.uk and others. The show is hilarious, hip and quirky. Movie references go by a mile a minute (especially Star Wars references), the characters are all unique and interesting, and the disc is LOADED (with audio commentary from the main actors -- who are also the writers, deleted scenes, out-takes, trailers, etc.)

I pre-ordered The Thin Blue Line quite some time ago, and am anxiously awaitng that to arrive.

I've also got the Bottom live DVDs, Guest House Paradiso , as well as the Blackadder box set -- all great.

Amazon.de (Germany) is listing a pre-oreder for a 491 minute box set of Mr. Bean (10th Anniversary Set - due Sept. 20th), which has my interest piqued. Hopefully a U.K. (or maybe even a U.S.) version will also be coming soon, although no sign yet.