Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Projector Help Needed

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Projector Help Needed

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-04, 09:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Projector Help Needed

Hey all, so my projector looks great for hooking my computer and dvd player up, but my digital cox cable has a VERY noticable scroll line (like what you see in movies when the monitor resolution doesn't sink up). Any ideas on how to solve this? I thought maybe it was the s-video cord, but I hooked it to the dvd player, and worked great. i don't think it's the projector, cause the computer and dvd player look fine. Could the single be to weak? do I need to talk to cox? I supposedly have digital cable. I'm using their DVR player as the hook up.

Any help would be appreciated, I can't even watch tonight's game it's so annoying.
Old 10-13-04, 10:56 PM
Uber Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Is your cable box plugged into the same outlet as your DVD player? Might be an interference issue.
Old 10-14-04, 04:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Could the single be to weak? do I need to talk to cox? I supposedly have digital cable. I'm using their DVR player as the hook up.
You might want to try talking to them if you think that will do any good. It sounds like an interference problem. Try switching outlets, try making sure that no other type of electrical devices are plugged into the same wall socket. Anyone have any ideas about the PC? Could that be causing some type of interference?
Old 10-15-04, 06:55 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Well I moved everything off the plug, didn't seem to make a difference. I then moved it away from my subwoofer, which at first I thought made a difference because it didn't seem to be there. I'm assuming it must be the signal from Cox, because it is still there, sometimes stronger than other times. Both my wife and I commented that after I moved it away from the sub it looked better, then we watched tv awhile longer and noticed it was back. Could it just be my box? or could it be the overall signal? I'm going to give them a call tonight to hopefully resolve it.
Old 10-15-04, 03:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Could it just be my box? or could it be the overall signal? I'm going to give them a call tonight to hopefully resolve it.
Hate to be difficult but it could be both or neither. Is this visible on any other tv's in your home? Or any of your neighbors?

If your dvd looks fine then it is something to do with Cox.
Old 10-15-04, 04:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

dvd looks great. Other tv doesn't have the issue however, but the picture quality isn't as good either. It didn't show up on my old 32in tv that used the same box...
Old 10-15-04, 05:46 PM
Uber Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Have you tried plugging your projector into a different outlet?

I have this problem with my projector too. I'm using a Scientific America digital cable box and an S-video connection that's run through my receiver. I think mine goes away when I don't use the receiver (cable runs straight from the cable box to the projector) but I watch so little TV I haven't spent much time trying to fix it. I also know I have my video cable (which is 50 feet long) pretty close to some power cables so I think that might be a problem for me as well.
Old 10-16-04, 08:38 AM

The AVSFORUM is a great resource for projector issues and set-ups. Might be a good place to cross-post your question to broaden the feedback.

-Tim
Old 10-17-04, 01:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts
If this problem is only visible on cable TV, go to Radio Shack and buy a Ground Loop Breaker adaptor. I have a feeling that will solve your problem, but if not you're only out $2.
Old 10-17-04, 06:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

thanks for the help guys, I'll probably hit radio shack tomorrow after work, see if that works, then go over to avsforum and give it a try.
Old 10-17-04, 09:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Also be sure to keep any electrical cables away from the video cable you have running from the cable box to the projector. Have you tried replacing the video cable that is run from the cable box to projector? Sometime shorts in the cable or bad connectors will introduce interference.
Old 10-17-04, 09:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I've swapped the s-video that is in my cable box to the projector, and didn't have any issues.