Reload this Page >

Hawaii - Cancelled or ????

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 10-13-04, 07:06 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Anyone know what is going on with this show? I know it has only been a week since the last episode, but since it isn't on this week, I am a little bit concerned. I know that NBC only ordered 13 episodes and as of yet, hasn't ordered more, but they have only shows 7 of those 13 so far.
Old 10-13-04, 07:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Debates, Sox/Yankees, USA Soccer ... I wouldn't panic too much. It'll be back on the 27th ... for now.

das
Old 10-13-04, 08:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
it has hicks
it can't get canceled
Old 10-13-04, 09:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I don't really follow the ratings that much, but based on quality, this show should be cancelled ASAP IMO.
Old 10-13-04, 10:17 PM

Received 771 Likes on 504 Posts
I've seen every episode so far, and I like the show... its a nice lead in to L&O.

I hope it doesn't get cancelled.
Old 10-14-04, 09:39 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 80 Likes on 62 Posts
I think there is much worse dreck on TV that should be cancelled before this. While I don't expect Hawaii to win any Emmy's, it is keeping me entertained enough to tune in every week. Kind of like Las Vegas. The only thing it needs is more chicks in revealing clothing. That's LV advantage!

X
Old 10-14-04, 11:17 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Xander
I think there is much worse dreck on TV that should be cancelled before this. While I don't expect Hawaii to win any Emmy's, it is keeping me entertained enough to tune in every week. Kind of like Las Vegas. The only thing it needs is more chicks in revealing clothing. That's LV advantage!

X
Exactly, its good fun, and thats about it.
Old 10-16-04, 04:59 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 245 Likes on 185 Posts
Looks like it will be gone soon, NBC is pulling it during sweeps.

NBC Beaches 'Hawaii' for Sweeps
(Saturday, October 16 09:43 AM)
LOS ANGELES (Zap2it.com) NBC, which has seen its grip on the younger viewers it treasures slip this season, is making a few changes for November sweeps.

The struggling cop show "Hawaii" has been benched. Another first-year drama, "LAX," will move into the 8 p.m. ET Wednesday spot beginning Oct. 27 and will remain there through November sweeps. A repeat of last year's "West Wing" finale will air at 8 p.m. Wednesday (Oct. 20), leading into the show's season premiere.

A short-run unscripted show, "$25 Million Hoax," will take over the 10 p.m. Monday slot vacated by "LAX." It's set to debut Nov. 8 (a "Saturday Night Live" pre-election special will fill the hour Nov. 1).
"Hawaii," the first new show of the season to be put on hiatus, hasn't found much of an audience in its six weeks on the air. It's averaging about 8.3 million viewers per week and has attracted low ratings among adults 18-49, the demographic by which NBC measures success. The network says the show will remain in production and return to the schedule later in the season.

"LAX" has fared better, drawing 9.4 million viewers per week in a competitive timeslot opposite CBS' "CSI: Miami" and ABC's "Monday Night Football." It will now get a chance in the somewhat less treacherous 8 p.m. Wednesday slot, where ABC's "Lost" has established itself as a hit.

"Hoax," based on a British show, will run for three weeks. In the show, a woman has to convince her family and friends that she's won a $25 million lottery -- complete with check from Ed McMahon -- and is drunk on her newfound wealth. If she pulls off the prank, she'll get a (smaller) cash prize.
Old 10-16-04, 05:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
My quote from this thread.

This is off the air by Columbus Day, and I say aloha brudda.
Looks like I wasn't that far off.
Old 10-18-04, 11:53 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 708 Likes on 516 Posts
Just move da damn_ting to Friday. How da hell was dis show gonna survive lidat against Lost and Smallville? Not so akamai NBC.
Old 10-19-04, 09:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 460 Likes on 373 Posts
Not So Fast: NBC's 'Hawaii' Won't Return
By Brian Ford Sullivan

LOS ANGELES (thefutoncritic.com) -- Just days after being placed on hiatus, NBC has pulled the plug on "Hawaii" despite indications production would continue on the struggling drama.

The news was first reported by two Hawaii-based newspapers, The Honolulu Advertiser (read the story) and The Honolulu Star-Bulletin (read the story), which received word of the show's cancellation from the producers yesterday.

The Peacock originally announced on Friday it was benching the series in favor of fellow newcomer "LAX," adding that the series "will continue in production in Hawaii and will return at a later date with new episodes" (read the story). Nevertheless, NBC publicist Jamie French confirmed yesterday that the show "has stopped production" but wouldn't give any details about the show's fate.

Production had been completed on eight episodes of the series, leaving just one installment on the shelf. "Hawaii" opened to an impressive 10.91 million viewers last month but fell to 6.68 million in its most recent airing (10/6/04), ahead of only "Last Comic Standing" (5.75 million) among all of NBC's series for that week. Also no doubt putting a nail its coffin was its adults 18-49 performance that night (2.1 rating according to fast national data), ahead of only CBS' "60 Minutes" (1.9 rating) in the Wednesday, 8:00/7:00c hour among the six broadcast networks.

Both articles also noted the blow the series' cancellation will bring to Hawaii's local film and television industry, which had seen a resurgence thanks to productions such as "Hawaii" (as well as ABC's "Lost" and FOX's "North Shore"). Each episode of "Hawaii" cost about $2.1 million per episode, bringing more than $17 million of spending to the area for the eight completed hours, as well as an additional $1 million to retrofit the show's Mapunapuna sound stage and another $3 million to build sets for the show.

The Hawaii Film Office hopes to make use of the newly available crew and talent on its other local productions as well as the WB pilot "Rocky Point" should it go forward to series.
Old 10-19-04, 09:40 PM

Well, if that's right look for Dr. Michael Gallant (Shariff Atkins) to return from Iraq and head back the ER, and Dr. Peter Winslow (Ivan Sergei) to return to the ME's office in Crossing Jordan.

... and watch my Wednesday Nights free up with one hour to watch something else.
Old 10-20-04, 12:55 AM
nny
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The other day I saw an interview with the star of Hawaii and he was talking about how he was so excited that they were going to let him direct an episode. He said it'd be one of the final 9 episodes of the first season or an episode in the second season. Talk about overconfidence. All the critics hated the show and he not only expects a full season pickup, but a second season too?
Old 10-20-04, 07:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Not a surprise. Great scenery, no plot.
Old 10-20-04, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 239 Likes on 175 Posts
Damn,i like this show...
Old 10-20-04, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Great so now not only is this gone, but their going to plop LAX in there (being bumped by a three episode REALITY show!??!) to wither and lose viewers again LOST. Idiots. NBC deserves to be the bottom of the big three networks.
Old 10-20-04, 01:18 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 80 Likes on 62 Posts
Man! One of the few new shows that I kinda liked. Figures.

X
Old 11-14-04, 10:00 PM

According to NBC's website for Hawaii, the remaining unaired episode (#8: Almost Paradise) might air on Wednesday, December 1st, 2004.
Old 11-14-04, 10:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I could use one more dose of this show before it's gone forever. I wish "fun" shows like this could survive in today's television market.

das
Old 11-15-04, 09:08 PM

You're not kidding bruddah...