Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

HOLLYWOOD VIDEO: Free Rental (Class Action Settlement)

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-04, 02:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Eligible: All customers of Hollywood Video in the United States who incurred an Additional Rental Charge or Product Charge as of August 10, 2004.

If you rented movies or games from Hollywood Video, you could get free rentals from a legal settlement.

A nationwide settlement has been proposed in a class action lawsuit about additional rental charges at Hollywood Video stores. The settlement will ensure that at least $9,000,000 worth of certificates for free rentals at Hollywood Video stores will be issued and redeemed. The settlement resolves several lawsuits over charges for rentals not returned within the initial rental period at Hollywood Video stores.

Your legal rights are affected whether you act, or don’t act. This website is designed to give you the information you need in order to understand your rights. If you're a member of the class you may also submit a claim under the terms of this settlement using the information and tools provided.

CLICK HERE

PEACH
Old 10-11-04, 08:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

i got this too. i filled it out, might as well. the settlement is supposed to be 6 coupons for rent one get 1 free CATALOG rental.

pretty crappy that you cant use it on new releases.
Old 10-12-04, 01:54 AM

"search is my friend" i was just going to post about this -thx

"At the earliest, you will be able to use the coupons beginning on November 1, 2005"

Last edited by worrywort; 10-12-04 at 02:05 AM.
Old 10-12-04, 04:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,244 Likes on 855 Posts
Originally posted by scarredgod
i got this too. i filled it out, might as well. the settlement is supposed to be 6 coupons for rent one get 1 free CATALOG rental.

pretty crappy that you cant use it on new releases.
I always love it when these "settlements" are really nothing more than ad copy to get you to spend more money with the company being sued. I'm sorry, but if you have to spend money to claim your "reward" then it really isn't a reward for the consumer.

The only time I have ever seen one of these class action things be worth anything was years ago I had purchased a ZIP drive (when they were new on the market). Some guy got his panties in a bunch because his rebate check was a few weeks late and started a class action lawsuit. I received an extra disc, another $10 rebate, and a free Iomega T-shirt.
Old 10-12-04, 09:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 354 Likes on 229 Posts
I'm boycotting Hollywood right now because I put my movies in the box outside and they got marked as late (I think someone forgot to check the box at closing.) So . . .I'm never going back rather than paying a late fee I don't owe.
Old 10-13-04, 01:55 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by tasha99
I'm boycotting Hollywood right now because I put my movies in the box outside and they got marked as late (I think someone forgot to check the box at closing.) So . . .I'm never going back rather than paying a late fee I don't owe.
I think all video stores use that scheme to gouge the customer for a few extra dollars. I had a similar experience with Block Buster on two separate occasions. I returned the movies on time and put them in the drop box outside the store. I didn't think anymore about it until my next visit when they tried to charge me a late fee. I then got into a heated argument with the employee who kept insisting they never make mistakes, and there was no way they could have checked it in late. Anyway, I asked to speak to the manager and after a brief discussion she removed the charge. The second time it happened was almost identical to my first experience. After arguing with the employee for a while they decided to drop the late charge.

Now whenever I return a rental I never use the drop boxes anywhere around the store. But instead take it inside and hand it to one of the employees and watch them scan the return in front of me. Haven't had a late charge since with that return method. I'm sure these rental stores pick up thousands of dollars extra every year doing this to customers.
Old 10-14-04, 08:53 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by tasha99
What did they say when you insisted that they were not late? Unless you drove up at 12:02 am, I can tell you that it is almost rediculous how often we actually check the box outside.

Generally, if you call the 800 number (if you can't get anywhere with the store director or shift leader), they will usually rectify the situation.

r
Old 10-14-04, 12:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,244 Likes on 855 Posts
Unless they fixed it, Hollywood's system actually has a grace period built in . . . as long as the morning employee checks the movies in first thing in the morning the computer will grant that extra few hours.

However I have seen glitches in the system . . . arguing over late fees was always one of the dumbest things in my opinion. A Hollywood employee can tell how often a person is late and any reasonable person can make a judgment call from there (wether to remove the fees). Personally, I was never going to lose a guest over a couple of dollars.

I guess Hollywood's emphasis on "guest service" has really gone downhill since I was booted out. Saw that one coming . . .
Old 10-15-04, 12:08 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The grace period is true, when I open, I never get to the box in time because I have to go to the bank and count all the drawers before open. By that time, it's usally too late.

It's usually really easy to tell if a movie was back on time. Even easier if it's multiple movies.

I guess employees are supposed to refer people to the website for thier coupons. Kinda too bad for people with no internet access...

r
Old 10-16-04, 10:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 354 Likes on 229 Posts
I know Hollywood has a grace period because I've heard the cashiers at mine griping about how one guy keeps forgetting to check the box when he opens. I'm pretty sure my movie was in before closing but even if it were a few minutes after midnight, I should have been okay. I'm just not happy with late fees in general. I've had movies that were only half a day late, and I still get stuck with a weeks worth of late fees. They can run things like that if they want, but I decided it's worth driving an extra block to Blockbuster. With their movie pass, I won't ever have to race out of the house in the middle of the night with an almost forgotten movie again.
Old 10-26-04, 10:39 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
Gees, Blockbuster has anywhere from a 2-3 hour grace period, yet people still claim "I turned it in at like 12:02!!!!". Yeah... Thats why it was checked in at 7 PM...