Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Count Groucho's Movie Challenge of the Dead: Halloween Special - Classic Horror!

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Count Groucho's Movie Challenge of the Dead: Halloween Special - Classic Horror!

Old 10-09-04, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Location: In my secret underground lair, plotting to TAKE OVER THE WORLD!!! Bwuaaahahahaha!!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

IT LIVES! The Return of the Challenge that Wouldn't Die!

Your creepy challenge, if you dare, is to dig up a classic horror film from 1980 or before, watch it, and report back... if you survive!

My inspiration for this thread is because I have recently accquired several of the Hammer Studios films, as well as other classic horror, including some of the MGM Midnite Movies discs. Some of these films featured Christopher Lee, Vincent Price, Peter Cushing, and others.

--

What is Groucho’s Movie Challenge? Its mission is simple: let us all, as a forum, work to seek out films that might otherwise slip our radar. Each week, anybody who wants to participate will see a film within the guidelines, and return back to the forum to report on the film they saw. It’s easy, it’s fun, and everybody can participate. It’s not a trivia contest…it’s not a game…it’s merely a way we can all be exposed to new avenues of film appreciation…or at the very least see a good flick or two.

--------

Missed a previous week of the Movie Challenge? It’s never to late to play:

Week 1: Old Movie Week
Week 2: Foreign Film Week
Week 3: Silence is Golden
Week 4: The Truth is Stranger
Week 5: IMDB Top 250
Week 6: Unfamiliar Genres
Week 7: Martial Arts Films (Guest Host: $tarr)
Week 8: Watch a movie you didn't originally like (Guest Host: Rypro 525)
Week 9: If it ain't broke...FIX IT ANYWAY!
Week 10: The Greatest Year (The Year you were born) (Guest Host: karnblack)
Week 11: The Cannes Film Festival (Guest Host: Damfino)
Week 12: Anime (Guest Host: littlefuzzy)
Week 13: Top 100 DVD Census 2004 (Guest Host: karnblack)
Week 14: Bad Movie Week (Guest Host: Quake1028)
Week 15: One Degree of Kevin Bacon (Guest Host: karnblack)
Week 16:
Classic Westerns (Guest Host: Damfino)
Old 10-13-04, 05:43 PM

Location: In my secret underground lair, plotting to TAKE OVER THE WORLD!!! Bwuaaahahahaha!!
BBBRRRAAAIIINNNSSS!!!

I mean, PPOOSSTTSS!

You thought you could kill this thread off, but it has clawed its way through the graveyard earth and resurfaced, on this most appropriate day, Friday Wednesday the 13th!!

Bwuaaahahahahahahaha!!!

Come on folks, what do I have to do, put a booby in the post?

OK, you sickos, here ya go!
Click here for booby!

My selection will be a double feature, from MGMs Midnite Movies: Countess Dracula/The Vampire Lovers, both from 1970.
Old 10-13-04, 06:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 135 Likes on 106 Posts
Showing this weekend on Turner Classic Movies... (Times are Eastern)

16 Saturday
1:00 AM I Walked With A Zombie (1943) A nurse in the Caribbean resorts to voodoo to cure her patient, even though she's in love with the woman's husband. Frances Dee, Tom Conway, James Ellison. D: Jacques Tourneur. BW 69m. CC DVS

2:15 AM Freaks (1932) A lady trapeze artist violates the code of the side show when she plots to murder her midget husband. Wallace Ford, Olga Baclanova, Harry Earles. D: Tod Browning. BW 65m. CC

17 Sunday
12:00 PM Abbott And Costello Meet The Invisible Man (1951) Two bumbling private eyes turn a boxer invisible to save him from being framed for murder. Bud Abbott, Lou Costello, Arthur Franz. D: Charles Lamont. BW 82m. CC

7:30 PM The Blob (1958) A misunderstood teen fights to save his town from a gelatinous monster from outer space. Steve McQueen, Aneta Corsaut, Earl Rowe. D: Irvin S. Yeaworth, Jr. C 82m. LBX

9:00 PM Earth Vs. The Flying Saucers (1956) Space invaders ttack the nation's capital. Hugh Marlowe, Joan Taylor, Morris Ankrum. D: Fred F. Sears. BW 83m. LBX

10:30 PM The Thing From Another World (1951) The crew of a remote Arctic base fights off a murderous monster from outer space. Kenneth Tobey, Margaret Sheridan, James Arness. D: Christian Nyby. BW 87m. CC DVS

18 Monday
10:00 PM The Birds (1963) In a California coastal area, flocks of birds unaccountably make deadly attacks on humans. Rod Taylor, Tippi Hedren, Jessica Tandy. D: Alfred Hitchcock. C 119m. LBX CC

Last edited by Damfino; 10-13-04 at 06:24 PM.
Old 10-17-04, 10:14 AM

Originally posted by Damfino
Showing this weekend on Turner Classic Movies... (Times are Eastern)
17 Sunday
12:00 PM Abbott And Costello Meet The Invisible Man (1951) Two bumbling private eyes turn a boxer invisible to save him from being framed for murder. Bud Abbott, Lou Costello, Arthur Franz. D: Charles Lamont. BW 82m. CC
I was depressed, because I don't get TCM, and I couldn't think of anyone who could record it for me, but then I found out that this is in one of the A&C DVD collections from Universal.